New Sony Bravia's - BBC iPlayer / Five on Demand

Love the auto-update feature of these TVs. I didn't have to update mine to the new v1.08 firmware as the TV must have done it overnight. All I had to do was select the Refresh Internet Content to actually use but it's a shame this isn't done automatically because I'd imagine it will catch a few people out. Until I did it iPlayer insisted it was Coming Soon and to check back later, something like that, even though I was already setup for it.
The internet content is refreshed automatically but on a cycle of 24 or 48 hours (not sure exact process) so those not reading the forums will get it appearing automatically but not quite so quickly.

I've noticed that the iPlayer now shows up in the XMB, but when I select it, I get a message that a firmware update is required and I should make sure that auto updates are on.

I already have auto updates set to on and the TV is connect by wire to my router. All other internet content is available, but not the iPlayer.

Is there any way to force a manual firmware update? Has anyone else had a similar message when trying to use the iPlayer?

Thanks for any help.

I've noticed that the iPlayer now shows up in the XMB, but when I select it, I get a message that a firmware update is required and I should make sure that auto updates are on.

I already have auto updates set to on and the TV is connect by wire to my router. All other internet content is available, but not the iPlayer.

Is there any way to force a manual firmware update? Has anyone else had a similar message when trying to use the iPlayer?

Thanks for any help.

You can download the update and put it on a USB memory stick as I did. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter about unzipping the folder. I found at first that the update didn't work because I placed the unzipped folder on to my stick, but it was a folder within a folder. Once I'd moved the 'inner' folder onto the root of the stick, it worked first time (takes about 5 minutes for the TV to update itself).

You can download the update and put it on a USB memory stick as I did. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter about unzipping the folder. I found at first that the update didn't work because I placed the unzipped folder on to my stick, but it was a folder within a folder. Once I'd moved the 'inner' folder onto the root of the stick, it worked first time (takes about 5 minutes for the TV to update itself).

Thanks Kelvin. I downloaded and installed the manual file. I now have the iPlayer. Seems a bit slower when trying to select programmes than when using the computer based iPlayer, and it doesn't seem to play the higher quality version as well as the computer iPlayer.

Anybody know how to search YouTube on the Bravia? I expected to enter the search string using multiple presses of the number buttons on the remote (like texting on a mobile phone) but nothing happens. How do I enter the search string?

It seems like you are in the search field, but it's just highlighted. You have to click the middle button to go into it - then you'll get a keyboard-type display on screen. You can move with the cursor keys, or do the 'txting on a mobile thing' too.

It confused me for a moment or two as well. :)

Grrrr, I downloaded the update as I haven't had it automatically, copied it to a USB stick, inserted it into the USB socket at the side of my Bravia and...nothing!

Any suggestions? Does the stick have to be formatted in any particular way, e.g. FAT or NTFS?

I've tried the file just inside the folder, with nothing else on the stick, and no dice. I also tried it with the file outside of the folder. Again, no dice. At the moment, whenever I insert the stick, I just get nothing happening. Is there a way to "trigger" the USB socket into recognising there's a stick in it?

Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly received!

Grrrr, I downloaded the update as I haven't had it automatically, copied it to a USB stick, inserted it into the USB socket at the side of my Bravia and...nothing!

Any suggestions? Does the stick have to be formatted in any particular way, e.g. FAT or NTFS?

I've tried the file just inside the folder, with nothing else on the stick, and no dice. I also tried it with the file outside of the folder. Again, no dice. At the moment, whenever I insert the stick, I just get nothing happening. Is there a way to "trigger" the USB socket into recognising there's a stick in it?

Any help on resolving this issue would be greatly received!

I also downloaded the update, but I had no problems when installing it.

My USB stick was formatted as FAT32. I copied the file into the root directory of the stick. In fact the stick had no other files on it, but I don't think that is a requirement of the update.

The folder I copied was named :

sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100

Inside the folder was .bin file

00020100_01da0000.bin

When I inserted the stick into the TV the update started automatically and took only a few minutes to complete. I had to refresh the internet content after the update.

You could try reformatting your memory stick or try a different stick. You might also consider downloading a fresh copy of the update in case you got a corrupt download.

Hope you get it sorted.

I'll give this a go - I suspect the stick I was using was formatted as NTFS, not FAT32. I've run afoul of this problem before, but usually when updating an Xbox 360 by USB (it can't run the update if the stick it's on is NTFS).

Cheers for the advice, anyway! I'll report back once I've given it a go. :smashin:

EDIT: Fantastic! That worked a treat.

Let this be a warning to others wishing to update in the same way - the USB stick you're using must be formatted to FAT32 for it to work.

Thanks again, inchindown!

Last edited:
Just a reminder... Doing a factory reset can help a lot with most of these problems as it reinstalls all the software. My 40EX503 has failed to do the up dates on me twice, with even the usb method failing to working for me. Both times I did a factory reset and everything updated and starting work like normal again. The only down side is you've got to let the TV re auto tune itself.

Is there any way to force a network update? I've got a 32EX703 here that is not updating over the internets (via ethernet) and the USB option is not working (tried resetting the TV, redownloading the update, etc) either.

Or does the set update the firmware if left in standby overnight?

Is there any way to force a network update? I've got a 32EX703 here that is not updating over the internets (via ethernet) and the USB option is not working (tried resetting the TV, redownloading the update, etc) either.

Leave in standby overnight, it should update within 48 hours although it is usually less than 24hours. There isn't an option to force it immediately. Don't worry, the standby power is very low and these TVs are designed to be left in standby when not in use.

make sure you leave your router / cable modem or whatever on overnight ;-)

My first post so please be gentle!

Followed this thread and using the solutions suggested by everyone, managed to get iplayer working. Yippee! However, watched something the other morning without any issues but when I tried to get back in again, got this error message:

File cannot be found (appears briefly) followed by another message:

Temporarily cannot access the server. Please retry.

All other internet video, Five, Youtube etc working fine.
Have reset to factory defaults and still failed.
Also have a Blue Ray box and it works OK on this but not on the TV??

Anybody else had this issue

Same here, it started last night. iPlayer works on PC on same network so some issue at BBC end of things it seems.

Check the BBC website iplayer forums, lot of reports of the same message from Sony equipment.

Last edited:

Did you get it working? I have wired network connection but no aerial or cable, and it didn't update overnight. My internet connection is definitely working as I can view YouTube videos on the TV. Mine also is the 32EX703. I tried the firmware to USB stick (even had to go out and buy a memory stick) and it says there is no applicable updates. The TV was on standby all night with the internet connection working fine. My memory stick is formatted FAT32 - I've not reformatted it even though I'm using a Mac.

Last edited:
Did you get it working? I have wired network connection but no aerial or cable, and it didn't update overnight. My internet connection is definitely working as I can view YouTube videos on the TV. Mine also is the 32EX703. I tried the firmware to USB stick (even had to go out and buy a memory stick) and it says there is no applicable updates. The TV was on standby all night with the internet connection working fine. My memory stick is formatted FAT32 - I've not reformatted it even though I'm using a Mac.
Regarding the USB update can you check that the update folder from the zipfile has been extracted and is in the root directory on the USB drive? The folder name is critical so check that and if necessary extract again.

For the network update check Settings -> Product Support to make sure System Update is On. It may need to be left over two nights on standby to ensure a complete download as the rate of checking for downloads is quite slow and the download is also done slowly I believe to avoid impacting other network traffic.

Regarding the USB update can you check that the update folder from the zipfile has been extracted and is in the root directory on the USB drive? The folder name is critical so check that and if necessary extract again.

For the network update check Settings -> Product Support to make sure System Update is On. It may need to be left over two nights on standby to ensure a complete download as the rate of checking for downloads is quite slow and the download is also done slowly I believe to avoid impacting other network traffic.

Thanks for the suggestion. Everything was exactly right on the USB drive. I repeated the process in Windows XP (using VMWare Fusion) and it worked. Somehow it must be something about doing it in OS X that it didn't like.

I have now got the iPlayer working successfully!

so... are the BBC HD channels working (in glorious HD) on the Bravias?
I've been thinking about getting a 40NX713...

I'm struggling to find any mention in these forums of whether the HD stuff is actually available through the built-in iplayer! There's some suggestion that it uses the bigscreen interface (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/) which doesn't feature BBC HD at all AFAICT...

BBC iPlayer "HD" on Sony Bravia is not yet available as for plans you'd need to contact Sony or the BBC.

BBC iPlayer "HD" on Sony Bravia is not yet available as for plans you'd need to contact Sony or the BBC.

I've seen several comments (here and elsewhere) that the Bravia blu-ray players with iplayer do support BBC hd though, so I'd have thought the BBC have already done whatever they need to do to make this available - it's all down to Sony, right?

I've a KDL40EX403, it doesn't have BBC-HD, says I-Player Beta.

Also got a Digital Stream DPS-1000, it does have BBC HD content within the I-Player. For example on TopGear it says also available in HD (with the bbc hd black symbol) It doesn't say beta in the I-Player either.

I've a KDL32EX403 and it offers the option of "higher resolution" but I've not sure of the exact resolution that this then uses.
The option is on the left hand side, just before you start playing the program.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom