New Sony Bravia's - BBC iPlayer / Five on Demand

cuthbertson74

Established Member
Reaction score
Was in the Sony Centre earlier, finally ordering a new Bravia, and saw the BBC iPlayer in action - its gone live through the new Blu Ray players, and should be on the TVs later in the month apparently.

Have to say I was very impressed. We have Virgin cable, so get it through that, but its a much more visual experience through the Sonys. Saw a quick demo of last week's Dr Who streaming in HD, and it looked fantastic.

And apparently Five On Demand is going live today.

Just have to wait another 10 days til the set arrives....

Was in the Sony Centre earlier, finally ordering a new Bravia, and saw the BBC iPlayer in action - its gone live through the new Blu Ray players, and should be on the TVs later in the month apparently.

Have to say I was very impressed. We have Virgin cable, so get it through that, but its a much more visual experience through the Sonys. Saw a quick demo of last week's Dr Who streaming in HD, and it looked fantastic.

And apparently Five On Demand is going live today.

Just have to wait another 10 days til the set arrives....

Do you know how the five on demand will be implemented on the bravia tv's, is it like the bbc iplayer on freesat.

Mark.

will check tonight and let you know (5 On Demand)

Very good news about BBC iplayer

I have checked and as far as I can see, 5OD is not yet available.
I did refresh the internet content.:thumbsdow

My local store said it went live later in the week, Friday I think.

Sorry about the bum steer - the guy just mentioned on Saturday that they'd been told it went live that day, and he was going to check it out later. Presumably very soon though.

I think this clearly shows the problem with Sony and the internet video service at the moment.

Everything that we hear is hearsay.
No official communication from Sony whatsoever.

Not good.:thumbsdow

These things are commercially senstive by their very nature and depend on multiple parties - far more than just Sony pressing a button someplace to send it live.

Sure it will be there imminently! :)

The thing is that I keep on seeing postings in forums saying that iPlayer, ITV Player, 5OD will be available on this or that week of this or that month.
Every time the deadline goes by and nothing appears.

Truth of the matter is that Sony Internet TV does not play catch-up TV at present.
Nobody knows for sure if and when these services will become available.

In the meantime Sony are still advertising their television as being able to play "Catch-up TV" with no official communication on when this service will actually be made available.

It might well be complicated, but one cannot sell products on a promise that they cannot fulfil.

I am still hopeful, if not confident, that these services will appear at some stage, but I think the way Sony are handling this is appalling.:nono:

To be fair, I guess Sony aren't responsible for these coming online.

Hopefully it won't be long - the iPlayer is after all live on the BluRay players. No idea what the technical issues might be to have it working on the Blu Ray, but not the tv though.

Disappointed Wired TV doesn't seen to be on there - maybe that's US only?

The thing is that I keep on seeing postings in forums saying that iPlayer, ITV Player, 5OD will be available on this or that week of this or that month.
Every time the deadline goes by and nothing appears.

Truth of the matter is that Sony Internet TV does not play catch-up TV at present.
Nobody knows for sure if and when these services will become available.

In the meantime Sony are still advertising their television as being able to play "Catch-up TV" with no official communication on when this service will actually be made available.

It might well be complicated, but one cannot sell products on a promise that they cannot fulfil.

I am still hopeful, if not confident, that these services will appear at some stage, but I think the way Sony are handling this is appalling.:nono:

You'll have to trust me when I say May will be a big month for BRAVIA Internet Video ;)

You'll have to trust me when I say May will be a big month for BRAVIA Internet Video ;)

lovefilm doesnt even work and the library in a few hundred rather than the thousands they mention

better be iplayer rather than 5 on demand

Was in the store trying to gauge what they might be able to do regarding swapping the set for the slightly annoying, but not deal breaking conical shadows, and asked again about iPlayer / five on demand.

They'd been talking about it that morning, and apparently the iPlayer should be very soon, as its launched on the BD players, and just have to iron out some licencing, rather than technical, issues.

And he thought it would be summer for five on demand - so June / July.

No doubt if I'd asked someone else, I'd have gotten a different answer though.

have been told 5 Live is imminent; iplayer runs on a slightly different technology in the set compared to the blueray players so it is techical but nevertheless it is definately coming :)

Got this from Sony Basingstoke from the tech team

Found the general help line and the Sony Centre bods dont really have a clue

Five is now available (activated within the last hour). You might have to refresh your internet channels to force it to appear or it will appear itself over the next couple of days if your TV or Blu-ray player has Bravia Internet Video and you access the services.

Thanks for the heads up - drama is a bit thin on the ground at the moment - just some new animated thing, Archer.

Pretty decent picture quality though. :)

So between Virgin, and the Sony set we can now get the catch up services for all the main five channels.

Last edited:
Can I ask, is this available through the set via the internet? I've got the ex503 but there's no sign of it. I'm assuming it should be listed on the same bit as Youtube, Lovefilm etc. but I haven't got it there. Will that be the same with iPlayer when it finally goes live?

Josephlord I see you mention refreshing your internet channels, how do you do that?

Thanks guys.

Ignore that question above. I found the internet refresh setting and am sitting watching Five now - pity there's nothing on that channel that I want to see once never mind again! ;)

Be good when BBC is on there.

Last edited:
Finally some of the promised catch-up TV services.
The quality of the video is very good considering it is internet based :smashin:

However, the quality of the audio is so bad it makes it pretty much unwatchable :thumbsdow

The sound is distorted regardless of the TV volume or the audio compensation setting.
This service is pretty much useless to me unless they fix this problem.

The problem is that if you report this to Sony they just tell you to speak to the service provider, in this case Channel 5.

The quality of the video is very good considering it is internet based

The sound is distorted regardless of the TV volume or the audio compensation setting.

I was delighted when I found 5OD after a refresh, but I do agree the sound is pretty poor. My hearing is not so good, so it will not prevent me watching, especially as the picture quality is very good indeed.

I also have an Icon for the FIFA Video - coming soon.

Roll on iPlayer.

Regards,

White

Lucky me I got the 40ex703 last Friday and didnt know a lot of people have been waiting around for 5OD, but timing was just right.. shame the only thing worth watching on demand is the gadget show.....

I do agree with what your saying though people the sound just isnt right, its not so much bad quality but just a weird sound... picture is great and i played about with the sound settings a little so things got bearable.

I hear these rumours of bbc iplayer which will justify my investment in the TV greatly... as far as HD internet tv goes wont this take up most of my bandwidth?

And does any one know if the love film membership on the internet services allows you to view blu-rays (HD) movies

Cheers

Finally some of the promised catch-up TV services.
The quality of the video is very good considering it is internet based :smashin:

However, the quality of the audio is so bad it makes it pretty much unwatchable :thumbsdow

This service is pretty much useless to me unless they fix this problem.

The problem is that if you report this to Sony they just tell you to speak to the service provider, in this case Channel 5.

I noticed that too both through the optical output to my 2400ES and the built in speakers. Extremely distorted. I thought at first it was just 5, but I've also had the problem on youtube(although the posted video may be at fault). Hopefully something they can sort pretty quickly. But as you mentioned, cracking quality really and considering I'm at the end of the exchange where I am I don't seem to be getting any buffering issues except when trying to watch HD content, which is understandable I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom