New Sony Bravia's - BBC iPlayer / Five on Demand

Fordy

I'm having trouble getting the software update to get iPlayer to work on my 32EX403. I'm a mac user so I can't download the update.

Any tips apart from waiting?

Thanks

NX3

Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Android.... no matter what your operating system you can download the update from the Sony website. Explain how your mac is causing the problem ? Does the website not working in Safari ? Have you tried using Firefox or Chrome instead ?

Fordy

Well presuming the principle is the same as it was with my samsung, when I downloaded the software update for that it wouldn't decompress properly. I had to get a mate to download it on his PC and put it on a stick. I was presuming the same thing would happen now.

NX3

Try and see, it should work as other mac owners in this thread have managed it. You get a zip file, OSX can handle that, you unzip and follow the instructions. Or connect your set to the internet and get it to update itself.

Fordy

ok, i get the message 'no applicable update could be found'

i've got firmware 1.7, the stick is formatted MSDOS (FAT32) the sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100 folder is in the root of the drive, nothing else is on there.

what now?

Fordy

yay

left the tv plugged into the web and went out. I've got iPlayer now.

can you get 4OD on here by any chance?

NX3

no 4OD or ITV yet but suppose to be coming soon. Sony have released them for the PS3 so they are on the way it seems.

Fordy

great, well thanks for the help. just need to get a few more sockets fitted in here so I can leave it plugged in now.

loafer

The problem with using a Mac to write the update to a USB stick is that it puts lots of of hidden files on the USB stick which it uses for Spotlight searches. The update process of the Sony TVs doesn't like these hidden files. I have an old Windows laptop I use to write the update file to the USB stick.

jimgardner

Standard Member
Have had my Sony Bravia EX403 for a few months now but have only just connected to the Internet. I'm using a wired connection ie using an Ethernet cable rather than a USB wireless dongle (didn't want to fork out c £80 for a USB wireless dongle!). Can pickup most content but some including iPlayer will not show. Keep getting message saying software needs updating even though I have Automatic Update switched on. Went to Sony site but this gives instructions for updating software using the dongle which I dont have (I was also concerned about the disclaimer saying that the update could stop your TV working if not correctly applied!). Any ideas how I can get iPlayer? Do I need to simply download the update from the Sony site to a normal USB memory stick? Is this the only way it will work? I naturally assumed that as I am connected to the Internet the updates would occur automatically! Seems daft to need to use a USB stick!

NX3

To get iplayer you will need to update to the latest firmware. Just being connected to the net won't force it to update (it does miss a force option that 2011 models do have). If you leave it on standby overnight it usually updates (leave your network on) then turn the tv off, then on and it might have done it.

Or the better / faster option is to download the firmware from Sonys website to a USB pen drive (yes a normal memory stick). This just makes it happen now rather than having to wait....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom