1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony AV Receivers - Anyone got one yet?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by super7, Aug 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Has anyone managed to find a Sony STR-DE685 in the UK yet. The last time I rang Sony I was told they would be released during the second week of August, but I've not found anyone with stock yet...

If you have seen / bought one, where did you get it?

Super7

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm.... 93 people have read an not one reply!

I guess no-one can find a 685!!

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got the 585 six weeks ago.

4. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Update... (sort of)

Rang Sony again on friday. They are now saying the 685 will be available 'in the next few weeks' and can't / won't be more specific than that.

I'm getting pretty bored with all this. Ir eally want the 685, but how long should I wait? Do we have any Sony 'insiders' on the forums that know the reason for the delay?

5. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe they're saying: Buy a Denon! You're better of with one! ;)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to av, but in the last few weeks I've been shopping around. Alot. Not one retailer had anything good to say about sony. (their deliveries, not their equipment). Even a well known models seem to be hard come by.

I've just got a strdb780 and was lucky enough to walk into the shop when they had just been delivered. They were still on the floor waiting to be put away. They had also been waiting for this delivery for weeks and not all of them came, which is usual apparantly. I don't know how new my model is, but the new ones seem even rarer.

Thats my experience of sony, but don't let it put you off. It may just be a longer wait than you thought.:rolleyes:

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This should not be taken as a bad indication. If I want a plumber, I always go for one who is busy for the next few weeks. There's a reason for everything. Sony can only produce so many recievers and if demand exeeds that then there will be shortages.

S

8. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where did you manage to find the STR-DB780? Can't find any stock on line. How much???

If I can get one of these, it's probably better than the long-awaited 685...

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
  10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thats amazing jsw how did you know. Yes it was from superfi, hifi bitz also have them. Now I'm no expert on these things but I believe it is better than the 685 because it is in the QS range. Also I think it is cheaper because it's been around longer, although it has to be said I don't know how long.
    It does have pro logic 2 which I think is relatively new:rolleyes:
    and I'm happy with my new toy :D

11. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Flat Spot / JSW

Many thanks for the info - I'm now the proud owner of an STR-DB780! Bought it at SuperFi Coventry £250 with 3 years warranty. The Sony Centre about 200 yards away has them for £299 with a years warranty - rip off!

It looks much better than the STR-DE685 (still not seen this in the flesh though!), and sounds fantastic with Sony SA-VE225 speakers. Spent several hours yesterday cabling up and drilling holes in the AV cabinet for cooling and cabling. Eventually started to watch Terminator 2 (I've been saving it!) at about midnight!

Now I've just got to decide if and how to connect all the video sources to do video switching...

One issue, my TV (Sony KD28DX40) has a silly feature. The stereo outputs on the rear are not always 'live' unlike any other set I've ever had, and need to be switched on in a menu. Not too bad, until you realise this needs to be done whenever the TV is turned on from standby. What a pain in the rear. What is the logic in this?

Anyway, that gripe apart, one very happy bunny!

night night

Super7

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony TV only puts sound out the phonos when the TV speakers are turned off :-(

13. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think of the amp? And what speakers have you got it hooked up to?

I'm thinking of getting the 585 for about £195, and then add the SA-VE225 for about £150. Or i might go for the HT-DDW840S amp/speaker package for £330, which includes the 585 amp.

Any one got any advice for me?

14. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

Very pleased with it. Glad I waited for this to get this new model. The Dolby ProLogic II does a really good job of surround sound on normal stereo tv broadcasts. Got the SA-VE 325 spkr package for only £129 from Empire Direct - fantastic bargain!

15. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 685 last week from qed after weeks of waiting (Try & get one from a dedicated Sony dealer !!) £214 delivered in silver.

I Ordered last Sat (dinnertime) & it came as promised the following Tuesday.

This is my 1st AV receiver & was a little daunted with all the connections & settings but a few hours of reading up & "playing around" soon gets it sorted.

Hooked up to the Sony save835-ed's and it sounds excellent.

Smetimes it can all sound a little "flat" on sky & then you put a music channel on & it "comes alive" and amazes me so I think realistically it depends on the input.

I had this problem withm my 9607 P+ tv. At times it sounded dull but other times made me think "why do i need extra speakers, it sound's bloody good"

After putting a DVD on, it was absoloutely fantastic. Crystal clear vocal, amazing bass and sounds coming from all over the place.

Overall mega pleased with set up & can amaze at times but it's all dependent on the quality of the input which applies to any system.

Jim

16. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jim

Congratulations! The first confirmed sighting of a 685!

Glad you're pleased with it. I gave up waiting and bought the STR-DB780 which is excellent. I think the only thing it lacks from the 685 is the ability to plug in a second set of speakers, which may have come in handy (music in the dining room!), but I've lived without it.

Super7

17. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting the Sony STR-DE585 amp and combining it with the Yamaha NS-P320 sub /sat package. Has anyone got any advice or suggestions for me?

Will the amp be too powerful (5x100W) for the the Yamaha speakers?

18. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The option on the 685 to have speakers somewhere else in the house (conservatory) is very useful and is partly why i was hanging on. Had i not got it when i did last week I'm sure i would have given up & bought something else with seperate speaker outputs.

One thing i did do was to put 4 longish thin screws into the bottom of the chipboard of my 835ed Sub so that it sits on some "spikes" & i now find i have to turn the sub way down.

Also , depending on what i'm watching / listening to i find my self tweaking with the settings and with having 5 remotes on the coffee table my mind goes blank!

Worth it though.

19. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jimmylad

Might try your suggestions of 'spikes' on the sub woofer - good thinking.

Share your frustration with the remotes. Even with an all Sony setup, can't live without any of them!

Super7