1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Splondike, Oct 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Splondike

Splondike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, :hiya:

Great forum by the way :thumbsup:

I am about to purchase a 7.1 amp was stuck on the strdb798. It seems to fit the bill for me, however I was a little concerned by the number of people having the "buzz" issue with the earlier strdb795 amps. Has anyone any experience of the 798 ?

I have a demo of the Pioneer VSX915 and that seemed alright so is currently my second choice to hookup with my Tannoy EFX5.1 setup.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There have been 'buzz', 'hiss' or 'crackle' issues with Sonys going back to the 925's. Some folks have been lucky and got a good one (me!), my 930 gave me faultless service and is almost certainly doing the same for the forum member that bought it. Others have not been so lucky. However Sony's customer service is quite good so if you are unlucky, they have a decent track record of sorting problems.

3. Splondike

Splondike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, so you reckon risk it and if I get a problem just send it back. Feature wise the 915 and the 798 seem fairly even, I just think for the occasional music use it gets the Sony will be probably be better.