1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony 9000 prog scan ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tiberious, Nov 13, 2000.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have relatives living stateside , and they I visit quite regularly.

I read on the AVS forum, that the new Sony 9000 (prog scan, dvd audio list is endless)has just been released over there($1500 retail), and can be picked up for about $1000.I have been considering a prog scan dvd for a while (since the pioneer came out).

I`ve seen the Tosh 9100 for the same price as the Sony , and the Tosh 5109 for $600.

Anyway, 2 questions

1 - is it possible to convert region 1 machines to multi region ?

2 If so , which is the best Prog scan dvd ?(would be using with front projector Sony or Seleco) ?

All comments welcome

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get the 9000 for $1000 and import it some how then that would be around half the suggested price of the UK 9000. The UK version will of course do PAL as well but not progressive PAL.

I have not heard of any hacks for any of these new progressive players yet, USA or UK but it is only a matter of a short time period. I am hoping that someone will hack them to play progressive PAL also, as they all have multistandard ICs in them. PAL progressive is disabled for copy protection reasons.

If you want SACD then its the SONY for you otherwise if you want DVD Audio then the Toshiba will suit.

Progressive output quality will most likely be fairly similar as they both use the same processing ICs.

No one really tests the progressive output quality particularly thoroughly so I can help much with that aspect.

3. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a region 1 Panasonic from the US a couple of years ago.

Personally with the $ at 1.4 to the £. I wouldnt bother.

If you can get your relatives to bring it in, you may well be OK. If not youll get clobbered import duty at around 21%. Delivery at about $60 and you will need a transformer £35. So by the time you get it it will have already cost you close to £900. Then youll need to get it chipped.

I just can see it being worth it, if you were saving 50% then yes.

Dave

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the input guys . Anyone know when we can expect Pro - scan players over here from Tosh and Sony ?.It would be nice to have something to compare the Pioneer to.

Oh well - we`ll see .....

5. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    We're too far behind US and places like Hong Kong for DVD machines.

I would import if, as aforementioned, the pound was stronger against the dollar. My brother imported another sony model a year or two ago and saved a lot but the dollar was 1.68 to the pound,.

Dave.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You probably can convert a region 1 player to multiregion but it's IMHO not much of a use as it won't play PAL discs.
    Don't forget that the power supply is different, too, hence you will need to add a transformer which might introduce more noise.

As well I think the Sony 9000 is not DVD-A compatible, only DVD Video and SACD. Correct me if I'm wrong ...

Alternatively you may consider a e.g. (European) Sony DVP-S7700 with PS modification for NTSC and PAL, like this one here:

http://www.cinematrix.de/PSM1.html

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 14-11-2000).]

7. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a imported and modified Pioneer DV-333 (I am not saying it is the best player ever, though) but it plays all regions, and handles both PAL and NTSC

8. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I popped Gladiator disc 1 out and put disc 2 in, only to have the software crash and force me to reboot, I thought to myself 'it won't be long before I can get a multi-region, multi-standard stand-alone progressive scan player'.
    But on reflection, I think a HCPC is the way to go for at least a year - maybe two.
    There is tons of support on the AVS Forums, the software is mature and for many people, system stability is not a problem.
    Sure a stand alone player is more convenient. But will they be firmware upgradeable in the same way HCPCs are ?

9. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner - The Cinematrix sounds excellent !!.Have you seen it work(does it look as good as it sounds?),and how does the picture quality compare to the new Pro-scan players ?. Perhaps more importantly , how much does it cost ?.

If within budget, it sounds great (although I presume it voids warranty on the deck), - does anyone in this country offer this service ?

I`m excited.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Tiberious:

It's no great secret that Arcam have a progressive scanning DVD player in the wings. I'm pretty sure it's going to have excellent picture and sound quality.

We enquired of our modification expert whether it would be possible to mod a region 1 only Pioneer Elite to PAL region 2 playback as well and we were assured that it's possible so I don't actually think the NTSC, PAL thing is an issue. Except of course for the lack of Progressive PAL support.

The cinematrix mod isn't being offered by anyone in the UK just now although there is a guy in Holland I think called Frank Doorhof who is distributing it. You can find him over at the AVSforums again.

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Techtronics are taking orders now for the Sony 9000 Progressive Scan.

It is priced at £945 (Excl.VAT) for Region 2/Multi Region.

Regards

------------------
    Stewart C

An amateur but an enthusiast

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tiberious, haven't heard (seen) it nor do I know the price - in fact I know as much as you do, ie what's written on the webpage.
    Sorry that I could not be of any further assistance ...

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner