1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony 9000 DVD Player what do we think

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveH, Oct 19, 2000.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was looking forward to this new player from Sony as according to HCC it's the new reference model. (So I assume it's taking over from the S7700). Two things about it are putting me off. The first is the case. I don't think it looks as good as a sliding front panel.

The second is that it can't do CD-R. This is a tad annoying. I know it's high end and CD Players can do this but still.

Has anyone had the good fortune to see one in action, or does anyone have any comments about the above points?

Apparently it does progressive scan for NTSC. Not that that helps a lot of us without the correct monitor to get this.

Dave.

2. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really see something new in the DVD playing part. So, I don't think the picture will be (much) better than 7700, which I own.
    Yes, it can play SACD, but what for. And NO CD-Rs, which is a great in 7700.
    For the same price you can get separate SACD player.
    And it will not take over 7700, because SONY intend to sell both of them in the same time.
    EN

3. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah,

I'm not convinced either.

I have the SONY 7000 which was the reference before the S7700. It is identical in looks except for the DVD tray which is to the left NOT the middle.

It's a great machine but I want an upgrade to truly be an upgrade. If I Went to the S7700 I would not gain much at all.

C;mon Sony keep the shell of the S7700 and make a greater reference player.