1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony 400 disc DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daren jackson, Sep 24, 2003.

1. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A new 400 disc DVD player has been released ....

... in the USA!

Here are the specs:

• 400 Disc DVD/CD/SACD Mega Changer

• DVD-RW/-R (VR and Video Mode) DVD+RW/+R Playback

• SACD Multi-Channel/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW Playback*

• 480P Output Type: Precision Cinema Progressive

• 12 Bit Video DAC with 108MHz Processing with NSV

• Disc Explorer on Screen Management System

• Multi Brand DVD Navigator Remote with Phosphorescent keys Compatible with Most Major Brands

• General Features

• 12 Bit 108 MHz Video DAC

• DVD-RW/-R (VR and Video Mode) DVD+RW/+R Playback

• MP3 Playback - Playing MP3 Music on a Sony DVD player is easy. Just insert an MP3 encoded disc and press MENU. A blue screen pops up to Display your folders. Scroll down the list using the remote or front panel cursor control to select the folder you want. The green files screen pops up to show the files in the selected folder. Select the file you want to hear and you're done. Finding music couldn't be easier.

• Precision Cinema Progressive™ Technology - Other DVD players detect image changes at the Scan line level-Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects them at the Pixel level. The picture is more faithful to the source-whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing Pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are free from motion artifacts.

• Precision Drive™ 2 System - Past generations of Precision Drive were only able to compensate for warped discs by moving the entire optical block, which took more time and limited the amount of correction possible.

• Sony's new Precision Drive™ 2 system simplifies the process by moving the lens-instead of the entire optical block-for faster and more accurate error correction.

• Multi-Channel SACD Playback

• SmoothScan™ High Speed Forward and Reverse

• SmoothSlow Forward and Reverse

• 96 kHz 24 bit Linear PCM audio decoding

• Dolby® Digital Output

• dts® Digital Output

• Digital Cinema Sound Modes

• Bitmapped Graphic User Interface (GUI)

• Picture Navigation

• Jacket Picture Display

• Inputs and Outputs

• Video Outputs

• Component video output x 1

• S-Video output x 1

• Composite Video Output x 1

• Coaxial Digital Output x 1

• Optical Digital Output x 1

• Audio Outputs

• Analog Audio Output x 1

• 5.1 Channel Output x 1

• Convenience Features

• Custom Parental Controls

and the picture:

and the price is only $400!

WHY CANT WE HAVE THIS IN THE UK, SONY?

Attached Files:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moving to DVD Players.....

3. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the new CX985?

I would love one of these and really don't understand why Sony (or any other manufacturer) will not commit to selling them in the UK.

I recently asked Sony and received the following reply:

"These changers are not available in the United Kingdom due to a marketing decision not to release it for the British market. Each Sony Marketing Company decides in advance which products they will sell, based on local market trends. While I am unable to give more specific information concerning why these changers have not been included in our product range, I have noted your interest and fed back your comments to our Marketing Department, for their information."

Can only assume they didn't sell well enough in this country (there were a few available a couple of years ago) to make it worth their while.

4. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would love one of these badboys

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you want one, import it! All you need is a step down transformer, if it has a multivoltage PSU you might not even need that. I'm sure the procedure of making it multiregion will be the same as other Sony's. The only thing you might miss would be scart socket but who uses them these days!

6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anybody know of a UK site that imports these and sells them multiregion ready?

7. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do sony bring them in to any other EU country as reg 2 or MR. May be a easier route then bring them in from the US.

8. Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This would be great! I have a 200 disc 850D for sale as I've outgrown it and upgraded to a Kenwood 400 disc monster. I really don't understand Sony as these changers are a must have for those of us with a dvd collection.

Mike

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
  10. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But they don't ship overseas...

You can try bndonline which sell this player for $349.99 and ship to the UK (shipping is $99) but it is not multi-region (though you may be able to get a mod from these guys).

But even if you are prepared to do all of the above, you then face the prospect of paying import duty (something like 14% for a dvd player!) and then paying VAT on top of everything (cost+shipping+duty)! There will also be a handling charge from the courier.

Is it worth it?

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    but they do ship overseas, i mailed them and checked. And you won't be able to multi-region these players, as i imagine they are NTSC only.

12. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected. Was simply going by their shipping policy on their website which states "Unfortunately at this time we do not ship overseas."

The company I mentioned in my previous post sells a mod for the other Sony megachanger on the US market (CX875P) which makes it multi-region and allows playback of both NTSC and PAL discs. So if they can do it for one, can't see why they can't also do it for the other.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Might be worth checking out some japanese sites as Japan is region 2 also AUS as they get alot of US kit but use PAL.

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    US dvd players are not easy to make multiregion. here's what I read somewhere:-

"The Sony upgrade remote will only work on players from certain territories. Enter the service menu and look for the DPX ------- number. It will end with one or two letters and perhaps a number CE ( or CE1 or CE2) for UK/Europe. It may have several groups of letters such as AB/CD/EF/GH.

Now this is the important part. If your DPX number ends with either UC/CN/RU/TW/SP/HK/KR/J then FORGET ABOUT USING ANY UPGRADE REMOTE.

If your DPX ------- number ends with LA/AU/IN/ME/SA/CE then you are in with a chance but again not all these models will work with an upgrade remote.

I hope this stops all the confusion for the poor sods with Region 1 players. And here's the icing on the cake for those people. If you WERE able to disable region coding by some fantastic method you would still not be able to play PAL discs because Sony left the chips out to save a few pence! And here's the final kick in the nads , even if you were able to disable region coding and fit the chips that Mr Sony left out you would then have a player that can play PAL DVDs but guess what .... your TV is NTSC only so you wont be able to watch them anyway so then you must buy a Multistandard TV.

Please make other Region 1 owners aware that trying to player PAL DVD's on an NTSC R1 player is not going to be easy or perhaps not even possible."

15. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got my 985 and its awesome

400 disks but R1 Only

I put all my R1 disks in it and its still not even half full, still i can stick cds in it too.

Got a customs charge for £17 on it, but thats not too bad.

16. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    U MUTHA!

I want one, but will wait till I can get a PAL/NTSC one, if they ever appear................................

Nobber

17. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not a chance

but if they do, i'll be buying another!

18. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    ooooohhh......but my experience with Sony players are not good....and both have ended up faulty!

I personally would be a bit weary about ordering a player from the US.

19. pizzacheaze

pizzacheaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for £250 it was worth a chance as my hifi is multiroom and hidden out of view.