New Sony 290ES and 890ES projectors

alebonau

Prominent Member
Reaction score
according to rwestley on avs, quoting him below from new 4k projector thread there, 270es replacement long time coming, not sure what the 890 is all about... step up from the 790 ?

good to see sony not sitting still and progressing with their model line up
:)

am sure as more details and info arrives folks can post here, but both i suspect quite important to sony and consumer looking or 4k projectors
:)

"Sony just announced new models in Europe. Probably different model numbers for the us.
Translated from German taken from German forum:
Sony VPL-VW290 and VPL-VW890

"Sony presented its new projectors at a press conference.
These are the models VPL-VW890 and VPL-VW290, which replace their respective predecessor models.

The new Sony series stands out because of its dramatically better sharpness, as I was able to see for myself with the VPL-VW790.
The banding effects were apparently also fixed. With my test images and the film sequences used, these are no longer noticeable on the 790.

I only find the dynamic tone mapping in need of improvement, because the clipping limit still has to be set manually.

All in all, the new device series means such a great improvement in the image display that I would keep my hands off the previous series from now on" George Luca's from German forum.."

Seems strange if true, the 790
Has only been out for a few months?

that remains untouched doesnt it ? this is 290 and 890 :)
True, but what difference is there between them especially with no dynamic tone mapping, which in reality is the main thing that is missing from the 760/790.

edit: this is obviously an upgrade on the old 870 🤦‍♂️

True, but what difference is there between them especially with no dynamic tone mapping, which in reality is the main thing that is missing from the 760/790.

edit: this is obviously an upgrade on the old 870 🤦‍♂️
no idea MB...info is sparse...my bet is its same update 760/570 to 790/590

if they have come up with true dynamic tone mapping that would be great... but i not sure anyone should hold their breath as its likely just the same dynamic contrast business they built into 790/590 :)

What is holding Sony back from introducing true DTM, is it processing power or something else?

I don't follow TV technology anymore so don't know if Sony TVs have DTM or not.

What is holding Sony back from introducing true DTM, is it processing power or something else?

I don't follow TV technology anymore so don't know if Sony TVs have DTM or not.
My guess: They have never followed 'convention' and thusly do things their own way. Always have. Sometimes it pans out for them, sometimes it doesn't.
I think they will eventually provide a fully automatic HDR mode as JVC have done, but when that happens is anyone's guess.
They will call it something else too, to prevent direct comparison. This is Sony 101.
Judging by this video of the 290:

it is still the same old tech inside, so no true 'full auto' DTM yet. :(

For anyone with incoming FOMO with these things...
I would save your cash and get your current projector professionally calibrated instead.
It will give the image a new lease of life and save you 000's of cashy monies too. ;):D

For anyone interested, here is some further information pasted from an article we have received via the UK Distributor...

"VPL-VW890ES & VPL-VW290ES

The two new native 4K (4096 x 2160) home cinema projectors from Sony are powered by “X1™ for projector”, the powerful picture processor based on technology used for Sony’s BRAVIA TV series and optimised for projectors. This processor combines innovative technologies for high-precision frame analysis, enabling unique features like Dynamic HDR Enhancer and Reality Creation.

The VPL-VW890ES 2,200lm laser model with premium All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens and VPL-VW290ES 1,500lm lamp model offer immersive viewing experiences that deliver the creator’s true intent with real-world detail and texture in best contrast for the consumer and integrator.

Common Features:

• Dynamic HDR Enhancer: Due to the processing power of the newly installed X1™ for projector, more detailed analysis is performed and HDR enhancement power has become stronger compared to the previous models. This enhanced HDR feature analyses each scene to deliver the best contrast performance when viewing HDR content, making the bright scenes brighter and the dark scenes darker. The dynamic range of contrast and brightness is further expanded by linking with the laser and iris in the VPL-VW890ES laser model.

• “Reality Creation” Technology: the X1™ for projector picture processor analyses each scene to enrich 4K content and real-world detail and texture. Even content filmed in 2K or Full HD is upscaled close to 4K.

• Native 4K SXRD panel: Both models offer 4096 x 2160 4K resolution images with 8.8 million pixels for an incredibly lifelike picture. With rich, inky blacks as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness, these projectors can reproduce vibrant colours with more tones and textures than a standard projector system.

• Edge to Edge Image Quality: The VPL-VW890ES uses ARC-F lens which delivers pristine image quality across the entire screen. This large-aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low dispersion (ELD) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the screen, for a clear and vivid image wherever you look.

The VPL-VW890ES and VPL-VW290ES models will replace the VPL-VW870ES and VPL-VW270ES respectively. As with the model’s predecessors, these new projectors also feature input lag reduction mode which dramatically improves the performance of the display reaction speed to ensure gamers can enjoy the best possible experience alongside the breathtakingly detailed image quality they have come to expect."

Best, Tom

"The dynamic range of contrast and brightness is further expanded by linking with the laser and iris in the VPL-VW890ES laser model."

Is this a change from what the 790ES does?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom