1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sony 12HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sykes, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surprised no one has posted on this news yet, Li On has noted it over on AVS.

Anyway there is a new Sony projector on the way. Got this from the sony.com web site about the InFocomm conference, wonder what the price will be?

Home > Product News > Business Solutions and Systems Company > Professional Display Products > ...

SONY UNVEILS NEXT GENERATION HOME THEATER PROJECTOR FEATURING HIGH CONTRAST RATIO

New Model Produces Rich, Deep Blacks and Enhanced Skin Tone Fidelity

LAS VEGAS (InfoComm, Booth # 22006), June 12, 2002 - Sony Electronics today introduced the VPL-VW12HT home theater projector featuring a new processing system that offers high contrast ratio for rich, uniform black levels and enhanced detail in dark colors.

Featuring a newly designed Wide XGA LCD panel with Micro Lens Array and Wide View film, the new VPL-VW12HT projector boasts a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Lana Gallucci, display systems manager for Sony Electronics' Business Solutions and Systems Company, said the new projector's contrast ratio approaches that of its VPH-G90U CRT projector for high-end home theater displays.

"The contrast ratio of our new home theater projector not only leads the industry for LCD projectors, but presents nearly the same richness in black levels of our CRT-based G90U projector," Gallucci said. "The new VPL-VW12HT projector represents a significant leap forward in LCD home theater display."

In addition to its outstanding contrast ratio, the new projector incorporates Sony's Digital Reality Creation™ (DRC) circuitry, which is also found in the VPH-G90U. DRC technology boosts the picture quality of standard television without the need for expensive image enhancing equipment.

Gallucci said that new software offers enhancements in resolution and operation that make the projector ideal for the home theater enthusiasts.

New ImageDirector software enables a user to connect the projector to a PC (with an optional reverse RS-232C cable) and to adjust and store settings for accurate white and black color correction and balance. According to Gallucci, the projector's new CinemaFilter color compensation feature enhances skin tone fidelity and black level reproduction to produce truer-to-life images.

The three-panel LCD projector offers Wide XGA (1366 x 768) resolution to produce ultra-fine image detail and high brightness of 1000 ANSI lumens.

Both the 16:9 widescreen format and the standard 4:3 aspect ratio can be enhanced by CineMotion™, a 3:2 pulldown that removes flicker to create smooth, authentic movement even for the most challenging action on screen.

The compact size and weight of the unit makes it ideal for permanent ceiling installations, as well as portable tabletop placement. Screen coverage ranges from 40 to 300 inches (viewable areas, measured diagonally). Improved air filter and fan operation reduce operating noise to below 30dB.

A variety of inputs allow for home theater content from popular sources, like HDTV, VHS, standard and progressive DVD, as well as computer inputs.

Pricing and availability for the Sony VPL-VW12HT projector will be announced shortly.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    mmm.

When I see announcements like this, my first thought is "I wonder how cheap I'll be able to get an 11HT?" Thats what I did for my receiver, buy last years model just before stocks run out. Same basic functionality but a fewer less bells.

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1000:1 contrast ratio?? LCD?? Me impressed...

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Have u got a url for this info?

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Time for me to upgrade.

I think the dust has settled now. The excitement over good quality DLP projectors has faded a bit (Sim did lead for a while)If Sony have managed to produce a unit with good blacks then it should be a winner. Never been entirely comfortable with DLPs no matter how fast the wheel wizzes around.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Hi Cliff,

DLP and Lcos still have me excited...alot more than an LCD. Looking forward to seeing the SMARTVPL11/VPL12 though...

Gordon

7. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm the time frame between the 10ht and the 11ht was a couple of years yet the 12ht followed the 11ht in a much shorter time!! I think I will wait till Sony gets to the 15ht before I trade my 10ht in I require more better specs to change over
    cheers Laurie

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The only danger, I guess, is that Sony's CONSUMER division will get a hold of it, load it with useless features and completely mess up its basic performance. The thing that has kept the 400Q, VW10 and VW11 apart from other Sony stuff is its source - their broadcast and presentation division - which (it seems) are more competent and focussed than their consumer counterparts.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This does seem a very rapid development!

I agree with gordon about the other technologies...... but LCD has the advantage that it is an area of huge research.....Just recently phillips as an example have achieved unheard of results using LC's.......that said, we reallly must be due a big jump......All the fixed panel displays have been around long enough that we should have a product to rival crt, but we dont!

that said, 1000:1 contrast is a good step that way!

Ad

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It Apprears a red filter is included-and it has been mentioned on AVS forum ,that it is this that is pushing up the contrast ratio of the Sony.

THE Sony 11ht was quoted at 700:1 -but out of the box was closer to 350:1. After calibration your in the region of 500:1.

The quoted 1000:1 for the 12ht is probably closer to a Smart calibrated 500:1.

It also has MLA so screendoor should be reduced-and as theres no screendoor noticable on the vpl 11ht unless 2ft away-this wont make much of a difference.

There are s/ware tweaks also.

..But see my seperate thread about contrast figures!!!!!!!!!

Doug