1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New software IAGBackup

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mlinhares, Aug 11, 2004.

1. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if it has been refered here or not but I was at links section (IAG site) and found a new version of TMABackup it's the IAGBackup which they say it's an "update to existing TMAbackup.exe (provides greater compatibility with USB-RS232 convertors)".
    It's a very good sign :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

2. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If it works I would agree... it is a VERY VERY good sign!!!

Joel :thumbsup: :smashin:

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just the fact that new software is being developed is very good sign!

4. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really good news. That shows a promising attitude!!!.

Thank you for letting us know!!

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. maximus_de

maximus_de
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Plump

Does it really matter how they will name the Brand ? Audiolab is OK,
    Shengstar or something else that will be really hard :).

If I remember it right (it was wrote in the 1.st declaration) that they coudnt by the
    "Tag Mclaren" name, so they had to change the name after one year.

Right ?

Greetings Alfredo

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. and it does not matter at all, I just see this as confirmation what will be. As long as they continue doing good products it is all fine.
    About the "Name", R.Dennis, M.Ojjeh and Daimler would never let it be called McLaren without them in control, of course.

8. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a look at the 'Back-up utility PC problem?' thread you'll see Stevesky worked on it and passed it on to IAG, so you could argue they haven't started work on anything new!!!..... Although I do agree the 'rebranding' of it suggests it's going to be used after the name change.
    Now do you think we can persuade Steve to carry on developing software updates if we supply him with beer/wine? How many bottles of Blue Nun would you need to come up with the next AV32 update Steve? ;)

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got plenty of anti freeze for my car already! :D

10. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Has anyone tried it? I can't get it to work - I get a message that "serial port is open" but then "cannot make contact". Mind you, I'm on my third USB/Serial adapter with the TMA backup facility without success so maybe it's me!

Somewhat frustrating as TMREQ was my main reason for buying a laptop. More so since I brought home a pc from work that we were ditching - Windows 95, p133v processor and 48mb of RAM. Backups and Restores my av32dp a treat with the TMA utility and one tenth the spec of my laptop.

So advice please - if I put a soundcard in it, will this humble pc be enough to run the ETF/TMREQ application?

And yes, it would have been cheaper to get Barry in than buy the laptop ...

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Just add a decent soundcard! This assumes that the rest of the PC and OS can run the java applet required for the TMREQ wizard.......Win95 is very very old........I'd suggest win98SE at the very least.....

Now what happened to that idea of mine asking TAG to put a convertor inside the 32/192R so providing a USB port to the outside world......If only eh.........I asked this years ago when I heard that serial ports were getting the chop from many PC/laptop's........

Oh and feeding Steve many bottles of wine gets you far more than software if your not quick enough (private joke for Neale/Keith etc.) :rotfl:

Steve provided the "fix" for the TMAbackup as a favour, please don't expect him to make a habit of it as he now hopefully gainfully employed by someone else. It just goes to show what a nice bloke he is.

12. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Graham,
    Welcome back, trust you had a good holiday. I shall forget about the spare pc then, but it's such a fag disconnecting my main one (Windows 98SE and Soundcard) and lugging it into the lounge. No one has yet come back and said that the new software works for them via laptop usb so I'm still not sure whether it's a personal problem. If the revised IAG software incorporates Steve's fix, then I have to wonder why it fails for me .....
    Regards,

13. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I would like to ask Stevesky if the changes made to the backup utility could also been done to the upgrade utility as I also had problems with it and an USB-RS232 adaptor. I finally upgraded with a borrowed laptop with integrated RS232 but I will like it to get solved in the future...I hope so, as the helpdesk told me they will study it but...I would like to know your opinion and if it is easy to incorporate the changes to the upgrade utility. Thanks in advance Stevesky.

14. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jolaca,

Depending on where in the upgrade process you are experiencing the failure will show if the changes made to the backup utility are relevant here. I'm sure that the IAG people will have asked you this question.....

15. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Guys,

Have been on hols for the last week so just catching up on the posts ...
    Sounds to me that another application already has the serial port open. Check for things like fax software running in the background and close them down. They normally have icons in the task bar so a right click and Close on each one should do the trick.

At the time of doing the AV192R it wasn't so easy to do USB support as the AV uses a hardware bootloader in the Siemens micro to kick start the reprogramming sequence, so a software bootloader with a protected flash area would be required to drive the USB to RS232 circuit. Nowadays there is a rather handy single chip solution that you can buy that does USB to RS232 conversion (costs a few dollars) and a small PIC would be required just to set it up at power up. Comes complete with windows drivers as well so very little development effort.

Let us know at what phase the reprogramming fails. The sequence should be:
    1. Identify Unit
    2. Download bootloaders (2x)
    3. Download Siemens code
    4. if (DP or 192R) download sharc 1 DSP code then download sharc2 dsp code.
    5. if (192R) then check for RS232 board and download Siemens code to board.

The changes made to the backup app were to work around that this app reads large blocks of data via a 3 wire serial interface that has no flow control. This can cause a buffer overflow in some adapters. When upgrading software we primarily do large writes and only very small reads hence the adjustment isn't really applicable in this instance.

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Steve.

Hope you had a nice holiday (and it wasn't as windy as mine....).

I was bored before I went on leave so I ripped apart a blackbox USB/RS232 and a TAG programming lead, one tiny "eddybox" later I had what could have fitted nicely inside either a 32R/192R and it works with the backup util and the flash util/TMREQ wizard. I wasn't brave enough to solder the RJ45 end onto the board though....... so apart from that it cost about £15 in bits.......I would have paid for that to have been bolted on the back of the AV192R front flap panel even if the RJ45's hung out the back to be plugged in as and when necessary........Such is life......