New software for Freetime twin tuner models

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by grahamlthompson, Jul 28, 2016.

1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
  2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Looks pretty pointless to me. Nothing new or major fixed.

Clem

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Humax can't win. They get complaints about iplayer not having the resume feature that other platforms has, they fix it and you think it's pointless :rolleyes:

There are quite a few wanting this, as you would have found out if you had bothered to look. Seems to me it's your post that is pretty pointless :)

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    It very much depends how you use iplayer. I've never found that I've needed the new facility, so for me, the update is pointless. I've never complained about the lack of the feature to Humax either, nor do I see a need to have new firmware updated on my box just to get a branding change. So for me, pointless.

Clem

5. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    But you do find the need to mention the fact that the update was pointless just because they fixed a bug on a feature that you don't use?:facepalm:

6. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Updating something that isn't broken (for me) is pointless, IMHO. My box will get an automatic firmware update to add a feature that I don't miss, and a branding change, which adds nothing of value. Any glitch along the way during the update could result in a potentially dead box. I can't get excited by stuff like this. Had the update added something like Amazon Prime then I'd have been all for it.

Clem

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Freetime boxes since launch have had dozens of software updates. Frankly it's a stupid argument. :eek:.

You want Freesat to only update software to provide features you want, are they supposed to ask for your permission first ?

You may not be interested in the new feature, why you have to waste our time by telling us this, baffles me.

As it happens I use BBC iplayer either on my mobile devices or my HDR FOX T2 and not on my freetime box (The HD version is by far the best quality available from the free catch up services). I wouldn't dream of berating readers who use their Freetime (Sorry Freesat) boxes for iplayer, it may be their only source.

8. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I wasn't berating anyone for their choice of viewing platform. No idea where you got that from. At no time have a made such a statement in this thread. My point was that this update is minor, and it's of no particular value to me. However, the update will be applied to my box regardless of whether I want it or not, and I would like the option to decline the update if I don't want it/need it. If, during the update a problem occurs effectively killing my box, it's me that will have to sort it. Most of my kit gives me the option to update system firmware automatically or otherwise, and by default, it's disabled. If I had the option, I'd skip this update until such time as I chose, or not, to update. I work on the principal that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm more than happy with the performance of my kit as it is now, and I don't want an update applied that offers me nothing that I want, with the attendant risks that a forced update might bring.

I maintain that the update, for me, is pointless, as it offers me nothing new that I need or want. That others find will find the update of value is perfectly fine by me. What I didn't realise that expressing an opinion in the forums was now policed, such that those opinions that don't conform to the 'norms' are now automatically wrong. I respect anyone's right here to express a non-offensive opinion regarding something. The fact that I find the update being discussed here as pointless is just as valid as anyone else who finds the update as being of benefit to them.

Clem

9. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    No one said that. You post said 'pointless with nothing new or major being fixed' not 'pointless for me'. And it is the first 'pointless' bit that's being discussed as the bit they have fixed will be far from pointless who use the feature.
    Then why are you going on about people's non offensive posts that do not agree with your 'pointless' update ideas?

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,753
    Any further discussion of the point will be pointless and therefore deleted.:D

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Another crackpot idea. That would mean that every box could have a different software version installed. The whole idea and design of freesat is that everyone should have the same software installed and it should be completely automatic involving no user input.

Would you choose to ignore channel line up updates which are also invisible to the user.

If you want that sort of control buy a generic free to air box and do the lot yourself.

Picking and choosing which bits you want is not possible. The fact is that the iplayer function is broke and does not work as it should. It's entirely possible that Freesat's part owners (The BBC) have insisted on it being put right.

12. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    If I post something then by definition it's my opinion, so why would I add a 'for me' rider? I'm not 'going on', as you state. It just seems to me that if an opinion is expressed that doesn't conform to everyone else's thinking then it's wrong. My opinion about the update as being pointless for me (note the additional qualification so that's no possible confusion here) is as valid as yours stating that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'll make sure that any future posts I make are correctly sanitised beforehand so as to conform to the forum's thought policing rules .....

Clem

13. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Not a crackpot idea at all. I own the hardware in my house, just as I own my car, my computer and so forth. On those devices I can exercise control as to what I do with them when it comes to any maintenance, which is what we're discussing here. If something is working for me without issue now, then I should be able to choose when and if I modify it, not some external agency. As for the disparate versions, what about those users that don't have their boxes connected to the Internet? As, in this instance, the BBC may have insisted that something defective be put right, as you suggest, so what? The choice should be mine to alter the state of something that I've purchased as and when I determine, period.

Clem

14. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,086
    Go on then. Or was that just another pointless post?:rotfl:

15. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,753
    I'm leaving them as proof that the forum is NOT into thought policing.:laugh: