New software for DRX890/895/595 on release now

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per title - new software for these boxes is now starting to roll out on the automatic download stream for batches of boxes at a time - and NOT on the forced download stream, so don't bother trying to force it yet.

New features
5.1 DD over HDMI and "ECO" standby mode.

Good review of it here - More New Features for Sky's EPG

How soon before we hear from the Pace, Samsung owners? (I give it a day!)

How about a few minutes :D

We might get the eco mode not so sure about DD 5.1 over HDMI though.

Pace owner by the way.

How about a few minutes :D

:smashin:

"The subtle cosmetic changes are nice. I believe that the picture quality has been addressed for those who were having some issues."

This might calm some of the recent activity on here...........

How soon before we hear from the Pace, Samsung owners? (I give it a day!)

As they are last generation boxes (PVR4s - Samsung, Pace and Amstrad DRX780) it is not yet known whether they are capable of the upgrades let alone when it will come to them. We are now on PVR5 and later generation Sky boxes.

Hi

Great news that the update will allow DD over HDMI. One less cable to connected to my Onkyo amp lol.

Baz

Will it help improve the sound volume output? (or the lack of) that is currently so poor, meaning that on certain programs the volume is up incredibly high to make it audible (even using a Home Cinema Amp it struggles).

One problem that I'm, thinking may catch many out with this upgrade is older or cheaper TVs that have no support for DD over HDMI.

Given the lack of support for HDMICEC I'm assuming if you connect direct or for example you try to use pass through on an amp to a TV which can't accept DD multi-channel HDMI audio the results will be no sound from the TV when HDMI audio is set to DD.

Otherwise unless you always use your surround systemmany people like myself will be better off leaving the HDMI straight to the TV set to stereo and optical into a receiver for DD.

I'm guessing that unlike a BD player for example the handshakes are not going to dynamically switch/down-mix the HDMI audio from PCM stereo to DD or vice versa based on what audio the connected devices can support. I will certainly keep two cables rather than altering the setting repeatedly as my TV only supports stereo PCM audio input via HDMI.

Given the lack of support for HDMICEC I'm assuming if you connect direct or for example you try to use pass through on an amp to a TV which can't accept DD multi-channel HDMI audio the results will be no sound from the TV when HDMI audio is set to DD.

In theory it should switch to PCM if it sees that the sink doesn't support DD because that's the way HDMI is supposed to work. It depend on whether the DD over HDMI option, when selected, overrides the HDMI transmitter's automatic format selection and forces DD output.

If it's the latter then, as you say, will be a problem if your AV amp supports HDMI pass-through because you will either get no sound or the lovely loud "buzz" of a raw DD bit stream output on the TV.

Just wondering if anyone has received the update yet?

This discussion is going to be very long as it was a few years ago when the update of the epg was happening. All I can say is keep calm and be patient. It will come when it has to come.

My picture and sound is even worse now since the update

can confirm the forcing update definately doesnt work lol, couldnt resist temptation, too excited about having DD over HDMI. Still waiting for update,

can someone confirm that their updates will happen WITHOUT a telephone line??

DwightSchrute said:
can confirm the forcing update definately doesnt work lol, couldnt resist temptation, too excited about having DD over HDMI. Still waiting for update,

can someone confirm that their updates will happen WITHOUT a telephone line??

Mine updates fine without it being connected to the phone line.

:confused:
This has nothing to do with telephones.

Got my update this morning. 5.1 through HDMI! Nice.

Got my update this morning. 5.1 through HDMI! Nice.

Excellent thanks for confirming! good to here that it is officially out in the wild! Out of interest what box do you have and whereabouts in the country are you?

Excellent thanks for confirming! good to here that it is officially out in the wild! Out of interest what box do you have and whereabouts in the country are you?

DRX890. Sunny Newcastle.

I've noticed a slight improvement of the HD picture as well. Good stuff.

Cheers good to hear about HD too!

London and 3x895's here but nothing. Box was really slow last night so woke up with great anticipation but nothing> I shall wait patiently(ish!)

can confirm the forcing update definately doesnt work lol ...

So what part of the OP's '... new software... NOT on the forced download stream, so don't bother trying to force it yet. ...' led you to believe it might possibly work, if you tried it ? :rolleyes:

I reckon this is an early April fools joke! Start a rumour that sky are issuing a software update, retire to safe distance, and watch the fun! :)

So what part of the OP's '... new software... NOT on the forced download stream, so don't bother trying to force it yet. ...' led you to believe it might possibly work, if you tried it ? :rolleyes:

who part of the lol didnt you understand in my post, your obviously not as excited as me having to be waiting to have DD over HDMI. I tried on the off chance maybe my box, or my area might allow it, or the miracle that maybe a forum was wrong :rolleyes: and what ever i done/tried definately didnt affect you or cost you anything smart

also "so don't bother trying to force it yet" the word YET being a week ago

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom