New software and itvHD

lyngarth

Standard Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago when the first new update came along for some boxes, I had problems with recording ITV HD, did a reset to old software and all was fine.

Got the new software yesterday and now I got the same problem back again. I can record ITV HD but when I try to replay all I get is a blue screen, no sound and no picture. If I try to fast forward or rewind the icon, bottom left shows up but the time stays the same.

I have tired all other channels and they all work fine, its just ITV HD, the sd channel is fine.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out,

Many thanks for your time

Lyngarth

Get exactly the same when trying to record ITV HD...just a blue screen.

Played with the lead and no joy, anyone else ?? did try to ask sky, but got put on hold 3 times then cut off !! will try a email but not holding my breath.

I cant believe its only two of us who has this problem ??

Cheers

Lyngarth

Spitting in the wind playing with your HDMI cable, not sure why that was suggested. Have you tried a planner rebuild? Generally fixes most issues.

Lungarth,

I'm with gusjux, the HDMI was the very reddest of red herrings. Can you tell us what brand of HD box you have and whether you have used Copy + to dub programmes to the hard disk from another disk (ie have you put a bigger disk in, or, copied programmes from an old Sky+ box?).

Hi,
its a pace box, model SYSF26.35 software 39.0.4.2

Not used copy + the box is about 8 months old and not has had disk changed, all works fine apart from ITVHD.

Cheers for your time

Lyngarth

Hello - also got the same issue on a 1 tb box - had a few intermittent problems with freezing and skippimg, but after software upgrade on Weds have had 6 - 7 recordings just with a blue screen. mainly ITV HD but one BBC and one History, which sytarted ok, then stopped and turned blue after 45 mins. Most have recorded ok though.

Done another forced software download and also a planner rebuild, no change. Rang Sky and the technician told me to press record, then play -it played back ok and the technician concluded the problem had rectified itself. Told him I wasn't happy with the level of his diagnosis after a 45 minute wait in the queue and he then said it must be broadcast issues! Finally got an engineer booked for Tuesday, will keep you posted - can't help thinking this is a software problem though, never happened before last Weds

Same problem here - had the blue screen crop up on four programmes recorded this week on itv1 hd, and it's driving me mad!

I've also noticed the box is slower since the update, and previously recorded programmes tend to freeze during playback. Haven't had a single problem since shelling out ÂŁ249 for the box earlier this year - great update, eh??

Same issue here.

1tb box. Missus was watching xfactor and tried rewinding and it just froze. Live pause couldn't be resumed either.

Tried recording it, but just blue screen on playback.

Mine recorded x factor ok, but just chase recording piers morgan with Alan Sugar now - live transmission fine, but recording is blue screen - I stopped the recording and started it again, still blue screen. Has anybody else had it on channels other than ITV HD? I had one on BBC SD(Watchdog Thurs) and one on History HD. Not really sure its worth the engineer coming, surely this relates to the software upgrade = however, can't find anybody in Sky that is capable of this reasoning.

As an update to the above - done lots more test recordings, everything records ok except ITV HD which seems to give blue screen every time. Rung Sky again as I'm still not sure an engineer swapping the box and losing all my recordings will help. Got a very efficient person on the phone this time, who confirmed with her technical colleagues that this is a known issue and they are working on a fix - no ETA as yet.

Now i know that, I've cancelled the endineer and will stick to recording ITV on SD till they fix it. Lets hope its soon!

I can record, play, pause & rewind on ITV HD 178 on my Pace Sky HD box. I've just tried it on The X Factor repeat. I don't normally record HD channels, I only watch them or record the SD version, due to low space on the HDD.

Last edited:
Well I could whilst it was still recording, but now it has finished and I try to play it back I also get a blue screen.

You would of thought their Call Centres would be a lot more efficient if 'known issues' were posted on the Service Status pages. If it's the new upgrade that has caused the problem, they must be getting hundreds of calls all relating to the same problem. :rolleyes:

You would of thought their Call Centres would be a lot more efficient if 'known issues' were posted on the Service Status pages. If it's the new upgrade that has caused the problem, they must be getting hundreds of calls all relating to the same problem. :rolleyes:

The status page wont show issues unless it's reported on another news / tech site - sky very rarely acknowledge an issue.

I just recorded X Factor on ITV HD 178. This time, I was able to play it back after it had stopped recording, no blue screen. The only thing I did different was that I started playback whilst it was still recording. When it stopped recording I was thinking now if I stop it and play it again I will get a blue screen now, but I didn't. So maybe ITV/Sky have fixed the issue now. Has anyone tried contacting ITV about this, and if so what did they say?

Problems here.

Picture freezing on playback - unless you get a blue screen first - and PIN requests on daytime programmes.

Also getting duplicate entries in EPG for future programmes.

All problems only with ITV1HD recordings and programmes.

I had trouble deleting X factor last night after watching it (about 90 mins behind live) at one point my whole planner disappearsed and i hit the roof. :mad: Came back after a reboot through thank god :clap:

I phoned up itv this afternoon to ask why itv hd won't play back (blue screen) as reported by others on here and on sky user. They said phone sky so I did. I went through some pointless procedures and it still happened. I demonstrated that it doesn't happen on the other 4 HD channels I can receive on my sub. Sky are going to call me back, and have offered me half price sky talk line rental for 6 months as compensation for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
well i am so glad i found this thread as im having the same problems.
i noticed it about 2 weeks back if not more and i didnt put 2 and 2 together to realise that it was just on itvhd.
i rang sky up and have got a engineer coming out on wedensday and then i stumbled across this thread. im not sure now weather to leave it and let the engineer come or ring them up tomorrow and cancel it and wait for a patch, or the 3rd option is to ring sky up and say i have noticed that its only on itvhd with the failed ( blue screen) and lockups or not.
what do you peeps think ? leave it and let the engineer come out or ring them to cancel him.

cheers:smashin:

I would ring and cancel the engineer, there is no point in him coming. I refused an engineer's visit. Sky phoned me back tonight and said that this is a known issue with ITV HD and they are working to fix it as soon as possible. The blue screen problem on ITV HD seems to affect all Sky HD boxes with the latest software regardless of the make.

thats what i thought too to be honest Jason. i just rung to cancel the engineer and ask about the issue and yep they said there was the problem and they are working on it. she tried to cancel him coming out and said that there was nothing on her screen so its been booked out already and that she couldn't cancel him, to this she said that there must be a problem with my box because it isn't on her screen.
my box is only about 3 months old and to be honest i am a fussy person but i dont want this box to go and be replaced with a refurb as with it being a known problem like you said Jason theres no point in getting a refurb where there would be something wrong instead of keeping a good box. so i have to wait for him to come out and tell him that theres nowt for him to do. hope he likes coffee lol.
while i was on the phone i thought i would ask about the anytime plus, as in does it need sky broadband or can it be any, she thought it might be any but would have a word with her team leader, well i waited a couple of mins then i got cut off. dont know still but i will have a look round here as i aint been on here for a while now.
cheers for your help though.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom