New Smaller Speakers

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
If you look at my Avatar it will give you a clue about my problem! I'm forced to locate my AV gear in a corner & given the height of the Kef IQ7's they partially block my screen. I should add that I love the sound of the IQ7's & IQ6 centre but I would like something to sit just below the screen so it looks like bookcase speakers on custom stands.

Given that I will most likely change the excellent centre speaker to match the bookcase ones I would welcome any suggestions please. I will be keeping the Kef Dipole rears & SVS Sub.

The system is purely AV, I have my other kit in another room for music.

Room size is 16' x 12' Amp is an Onkyo 875

TIA :)

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Anyone? :)

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Your photo is smaller than a postage stamp and we can see nothing.

How about a real normal size photo?

My guess is that you are simply trapped in a mind set that says this is the only way I can do it. Likely if you get some more eyes on it, we can come up with more ideas. But first we have to be able to set our eyes on it.

Steve/bluewizard

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
OK Steve picture Here it's a bit out of date as it shows my V10 TV but the VT20 has similar dimensions.

The problem is relatively simple as there is no where else in the room that my other half will allow me to put the TV :( so the location is fixed as such.

So it's simply down to the height of the speakers; the underside of the panel is 700mm from the floor so this appears to rule out any floorstanders. This leaves me with bookcase speakers on stands, I can build the stands myself so the bookcase speaker height is not really a problem. I would just appreciate some guidance on suitable ones to try & audition. I have circa £400 - £500 budget for front & centre speakers.

Prior to the IQ7's I had IQ5's which I found a little lacking.

Thanks, Paul.:)

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Surely someone must know a good pair of Bookcase speakers that would fit the bill? either with or without changing the centre (which is a very accurate sounding speaker for vocals) :)

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You're in a very difficult situation, and I think that is why you are not getting any responses. It is hard to come up with a solution that is going to equal what you have.

The first thought is ... do you have a Subwoofer? You can get by without one with good floorstanding speakers, but if you shift to bookshelf, especially if you watch a lot of movie, I think you are going to want a Sub. Though not necessarily a massive one.

Next, have you considered KEF IQ bookshelf speakers? But again, I think you are probably going to need a Sub to go with them. However, you could keep your current Center speaker.

Kef IQ10's are about £299/pr, 5" woofer, 8 ohms, 50hz-40khz, 88db
(HxWxD) in mm = 301x175x261

Kef IQ30 are about £379/pr, 6.5" woofer, 8 ohms, 45hz-40khz, 80db
(HxWxD) in mm = 365x22x327

The best good sized low cost Sub is probably the BK Electronics Gemini-II -

BK Electronics - Sub Woofers

BK Electronics - Gemini Sub

As to change, my first inclination is to tell you to simply move the TV stand 4 inches forward and 4 inches to the left, then move the left speaker over to the edge of the fireplace. That would possibly move your speakers far enough to the side of the TV so it isn't blocking. You clearly have a little more room on the left side of the left speaker; not much but a little.

The other alternative is to go to an Left/Center/Right sound bar style speaker such as this -

Q ACOUSTICS QAV 3.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM WITH LCR65 - available from Superfi UK

I hate to see you lose those great speakers, so above all else, the first thing to try is to simple move the TV stand and the left speaker slightly to the left and see if that gives you the room you need.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Steve :)

We have tries slightly moving the TV & speakers prior to my request & it just does not work :( (If my wife would allow me to get rid of her Fireplace the problem would be solved brilliantly BUT I fear I have more chance of winning the lottery :D

Yes I have the Sub in my Signature; (SVS PC12 NSD cylinder sub) which does a superb job & is located on the same wall but opposite corner.

I will take a look at the Kef's recommended, I just hope they sound better than the original IQ5's I had, I know lots of people liked them but for me they were sadly lacking, the IQ7's made a huge difference.

I have even contemplated building some myself if I can find some good plans & driver advice as I can build the cabinets myself at very little cost at my place of work.

Thanks again for your time Steve.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom