1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new small ps2 in car power supply

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by coolrado, Nov 30, 2004.

1. coolrado

coolrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my first post on this forum. :hiya:

i have looked everywhere else for a power supply for the new smaller ps2 i bought for the car, as i want to avoid using a 12v to 240v inverter

the new ps2 has a seperate power supply and requires 8.5v dc at 5.3A

i have found plenty of 12v to 8.5v supplies but none that can supply 5.3A

i have spoken to bigcattech.co.uk but their power supply wont be in production until early next year

any suggestions would be much appreciated

2. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest not bothering ... cos the ps2 is dead

long live the xbox!

Have you sold your mr2 yet dan>!?

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Whats wrong with an invertor ?

4. coolrado

coolrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought you might be on here baldy bouncer, you know i have an x-box as well :p
    after the winter i should be able to just sweep up the pile of rust that used to be the mr2 and chuck it in the bin ;)

lynx i didnt want to use an inverter as they are quite bulky and also quite inefficient, i was trying to get the console two pads and the power supply in the glove box so i can take the whole lot out easily without taking half the dash out, also the inverters i have used in the past usually reset themselves when i start the car :mad:

5. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if u use an inverter it interfears with the picture on the screen, u get lines running down it
    ps have u tried maplin they may make one up for u ?

ps i thought the new slim line ps2 was capable of running a direct 12 v power source :confused:
    cos in the old ps 2 u had to buy some an internal lead from bigcattech.co.uk which means would only run off 12v
    or i kow a lad that does a lead for £10.00 ppp to run off 12vs but this means opening the ps2 and pluging a lead in and means u cannot run it in the house but i cannot acces the web site to contact hi @ the moment not much help i know :thumbsdow
    but iam sure i read some where that sony have done the 12v-24v with the new sl ps2 to attract more people for the in car market ???? iam i right or spouting s**t

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I am in the same boat and want to add a ps2 to the Nav+ in my Audi, I was thinking about this though, surely a cable running straight off the battery can handle 5.3amps??
    Obviously you would need to drop the 12v down to 8v but that is no problem.

I am off on Monday so may pop to Maplins and buy the stuff needed and have a go if I get time. I will keep you posted.

7. coolrado

coolrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like sony have decided to be awkward and given it an 8.5v supply

they would sell a lot more if it was a direct 12 input

the problem is not stepping the voltage down as there are plenty of circuits that can do that, its just finding a step down voltage regulator that can cope with a current draw of 5.3amps and it has to be well regulated as the supply voltage in a car can vary quite a lot around 10-14 volts

8. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    5.3 amps? That's not a ps2, that's an electric heater!!

9. coolrado

coolrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry just checked it again its not 5.3amps its 5.65amps does seem very high but thats what it says on the mains power supply
    input 240v 1.5amps output 8.5volts 5.65amps

10. omar_8878

omar_8878

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

has anyone managed to fit the new ps2 slimline into their car? If so could you please give me info how to convert the 8.5V dc conection the ps2 uses.

Thanks

omar8878

11. coolrado

coolrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats the only problem i have had with it, there is a company called bigcattech.com that are going to be producing a dedicated supply for the new ps2 some time in january so i am going to wait for that :cool:

12. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    48W doesn't seem too bad for a PS2...

13. Phantom84

Phantom84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi im new to this forum, after reading the post, I wondered if anyone knew how to connect a xbox without using a inverter. I have a inverter which I bought from Maplins but one it makes alot of noise and two you get them annoying static lines on the display.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

14. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello guys
    as i said a mate does these power leads for the original really easy to fit can send pictures if ya want just email me, but only for the original ps2 if any one is intreasted, and he will get back to me re the dropping to 5.63A for the slim line.