New small centre speaker to go with Aelite 5.1 package

Ed Gayton

Standard Member
Reaction score
System
Oppo BDP-105
Arcam AVR300
Acoustic Energy Aelite Speakers 5.1 as seen here

I'm rearranging my home cinema room and would like to use the chimney breast to install a gas fire (low, modern). I need a centre speaker to embed in the wall above it so it needs to be fairly small depth and height wise although I've got plenty of width. I guess it also needs front firing ports as well if it's going to be in a recess/wall mounted.

My current surround speakers are pretty large but I'm happy with them, but there's no way the centre is going to fit, so I was thinking of replacing it with the Monitor Audio Apex A40, but I'm concerned about how well it will integrate with the other speakers. Budget doesn't really allow the full Apex set although it would be nice!

Anyone got any thoughts about this? Any other recommendations?
Cheers,
Ed

Put wanted for in the classified section as the Apex is often offered there for good prices. If you go with Apex your aim should be at least to buy A10s with the A40s later so front three would be from same range. For the effect channels you could be just fine what you have now or you can swap them with Apex A10 later in future or if you looking something smaller then MA Radius 90. For subwoofer there is no requirement to match with speakers so feel free to continue using what you have or when you want upgrade look it from manufacturer that specializes in to building woofers (BK Electronics, SVS, Arendal Sound, XTZ..).

Alternative option if you are happy with the AE system you could try turning off the center channel and run 4.1 system, so the information will be directed to your main channels. It may sound just fine for you if you sit fairly centered to mains. You could perhaps play with the toe in angle of mains if it makes difference. It won`t cost anything to try.

There's an A40 on eBay for £289 which is tempting me. Can't imagine the classifieds would be much cheaper, but I might give it a go...

Just seen another thread mention the Kef Ci4100QL as a possibility for a centre speaker. Might be worth a look too. Anyone any thoughts how it compares to the A40?

Are you open to make holes in walls & chimney breast and also buying them for main l/r as you should aim for "matching" front three?! 1200£ for LCR.

I'd rather not buy new L and R speakers as I said earlier. I know in an ideal world they'd all be the same, but that's why I was asking opinions on how well they'd integrate with the Acoustic Energys

I'd rather not buy new L and R speakers as I said earlier. I know in an ideal world they'd all be the same, but that's why I was asking opinions on how well they'd integrate with the Acoustic Energys

Yep, it`s going to be risky blind buy. Anything is if you can´t get a home trial first. But of course good speaker is good speaker so in that sense it won´t disappoint if it´s placed optimally, but there can be tonal difference to mains which may or may not bother you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom