New slim subwoofer

Moor

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m after a new subwoofer, I have put up with a crappy one for years because it’s small and fits out of sight, it’s now making some weird noises during deeper rumbles so I think it’s times for it to go.
It needs to be slim enough to fit behind my corner tv unit as the wife will not allow it to be on show.
Looking around all I can find that would be suitable is the Q acoustics 3070s which will just about fit with a bit of jiggling about, it seems to have decent reviews too.
Are there any others I should consider? It’s for a medium sized room connected to a Denon X2400, budget of £200.

There's a Sonos sub carnt remember the model, also a jamo 808 for £220

The BK XLS200 sub is very small, and very aesthetically pleasing, especially if you go for DF in a wood finish. It is a very well made wooden cube and would pass as a nice piece of furniture, e.g. corner table.

The BK XLS200 sub is very small, and very aesthetically pleasing, especially if you go for DF in a wood finish. It is a very well made wooden cube and would pass as a nice piece of furniture, e.g. corner table.
Is the 200 worth the extra over the Genesis 2? Need to measure up and see if it fits.

Is the 200 worth the extra over the Genesis 2? Need to measure up and see if it fits.
Gemini 2? The BK 200 probably is worth the extra. 275 watts of power vs 150 watts and a better quality drive unit.

Gemini 2? The BK 200 probably is worth the extra. 275 watts of power vs 150 watts and a better quality drive unit.
Sorry, yes Gemini. Is the difference noticeable? I’d rather stick closer to my budget, I don’t want to regret not going for the better option for the sake of £60 though.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes Gemini. I’d the difference noticeable?
That's a tricky question, the answer is, it depends on the size and acoustic properties of your room and how you plan to use the sub.

BK are very good at answering pre-purchase queries via phone or email.

If the price difference is only £60, I would go for the BK200, but then if you haven't got the extra £60 then I am sure that the Gemini will be considerably better than the one it's replacing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tricky question, the answer is, it depends on the size and acoustic properties of your room and how you plan to use the sub.

BK are very good at answering pre-purchase queries via phone or email.

If the price difference is only £60, I would go for the BK200, but then if you haven't got the extra £60 then I am sure that the Gemini will be considerably better than the one it's replacing.
This is it exactly, the Gemini will be night and day between the crappy sub I’m currently using, it’s the weakest link by far in my setup. The money isn’t the issue, it’s whether I need to spend the extra, the P12-300 is only a bit more than the 200 and the 400 only a bit more than that, it can get out of hand quickly. I think I will email BK and see what they say.
I guess the other question is how does the Gemini compare to the Q3070s?

I would phone rather than email.they can be a bit slow with answering emails.

They replied to my email very quickly!

If it helps, I have a 5.5m x 4.5m room and I have a BK200 at the front of the room and an old 150 watt sub at the back of the room.

I am going to upgrade my old sub to either a second BK200 or maybe to a BK400.

If you are limited to one sub, and have a similar sized room, and want to hit highish volume with a bit of boom on movies, I'd go for the BK400, or another of similar size and power.

However, they are quite a bit bigger than the BK200 and Gemini's. And far removed from your original post of a slim sub!

This is it exactly, the Gemini will be night and day between the crappy sub I’m currently using, it’s the weakest link by far in my setup. The money isn’t the issue, it’s whether I need to spend the extra, the P12-300 is only a bit more than the 200 and the 400 only a bit more than that, it can get out of hand quickly. I think I will email BK and see what they say.
I guess the other question is how does the Gemini compare to the Q3070s?

QA subs has had lot of amp problems, not sure are they any better these days.

Here is couple cheaper options if colour / driver orientation suits you. From BK Elecs ebay site.
colosussxb | eBay

P12 or XXLS400 for medium sized room no doubt as the performance jump will be larger than between Gemini II and XLS200 for only 30£ more (P12=330£). That is if you can fit it and wife agrees.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom