New slim Centre? Or make the existing one work?

champ222

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have a quad L2 based 5.0 system. So 21L2 for the fronts and 9L2 rear/side and the quad L2 centre.

Ive been pretty pleased with it since for the last 10 years or so.

The current TV sits on a glass stand, which is quality stuff, but its a bit old fashioned now.

Im thinking of replacing the TV and wall mounting it. Replacing the tv stand with a new wooden unit (that ideally matches the rest of the furniture) with storage for the kids "stuff" that currently litters the floor.

Im struggling to find the perfect unit as they either dont have enough storage, or dont have enough space for the centre. I could put the centre on top of the unit, but it wouldnt look as nice and might raise the height of the tv too much.

Has anyone replaced a centre speaker with something slim that can be mounted on the wall above or below the screen?

I dont want a sound bar, or anything active, i want to drive it with the amp. Saying that, the amp does have pre outs that i assume vary with the volume control, but active just adds complexity.

I cant immediately spot something while searching, but i figured id ask on here. Have you done something similar?

Thanks

There are many on-wall options if you cannot find a cabinet that you like for the front of the room. Speakers by Acoustics Energy, System Audio, M&K, Kef, Dali and Monitor Audio to name just a few.

Kef produce one of the thinnest although I will add that it require more from your woofer than most of the others. Below are a few options showing the different designs available to you. this would mean that if you do mount the TV to the wall, then you can mount the any of these LCR speakers to the wall beneath the telly with great effect. As for the timber sound, yes there maybe a differ, but if you are unable to use your existing speaker, it shows there are plenty of options and I'm sure another user on here will be able to in which they feel is the closest match to your. Alternatively you could also use a centre stand or even fashion one yourself to create a bespoke shelf idea for your own speakers

ae105.pngdali-rubicon-lcr.pngma-apex.pngsa-saxo-16.pngkef-t301.pngcentre-stand.png

Last edited:
Thanks.

Some good ideas there. Seems like if i can find a suitable bit of furniture, i should be able to find something to fit.

Don't compromise on the center channel as it's the most important speaker in the entire system.
If a cabinet doesn't fit the center. Put it on top of the cabinet.

Yeah im thinking the same. Quad do make a slightly smaller version of the centre, but hopefully i can find something suitable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom