1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Skystar 1 CI Card

Discussion in 'TVs' started by cwick, Sep 3, 2004.

1. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I assume - still a bit new to all this :rolleyes:

Info here, I'm sure that just appeared today ;)

Notice it mentions 'on-board software decoding', which makes me nervous ... I'm assuming you'd really want off-board for maximum flexibility (thinking HD), or at least be able to turn it off.

Cheers, Carl.

2. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the link, Cwick. This card has been discussed here before, but I didn't know it was already available for sale.

The "onboard software decoding" is what troubles me as well. It sounds to me like an intermediate solution between full hardware decoding, like the classic SkyStar 1 cards do, and the software decoding done by the SkyStar 2.

But if we can bypass this feature and use it in true software decoding mode, while maintaining the use of its CI, we might have a real winner here. I guess we won't know for certain until someone tries it... ;)

Cheers.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I spotted the original thread about two minutes after starting this one. Doh.

The card turned up this morning (comes with IR remote, and a nice little IR receiver ... which will probably interfere with the one on my Nebula card ...). Dish will go up on Sunday, so I'll report back as and when. No CAM or HD1 card yet - I want to make sure the basics are sound and I can receive and replay the free-to-air Hi-Def loops before getting all spendy.

Cheers, Carl.

4. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Carl, What version is the software with your SS1 CI, 1.0 Build 03 or later.

Jim

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi Jim,

Which software ? It comes with drivers, the CD has 2.4 (ish) stamped on it, but there's no DVB/PVR software on the CD (despite what it says on the box), just the SkyStar data application.

I've mailed the retailers since the Technisat site doesn't even list the card, let alone offer the software for download.

I knew this would all backfire on me ..... :suicide:

6. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Carl, my disc has version 2.421 on it but the DVB-TV application is V 1.0. The method to install is, cancel the auto install at boot time and just run the setup on the CD. It installs the drivers first and asks to reboot. Leave the CD in the drive and after the reboot the DVB-TV software will start installing immediately. You should end up with two icons on the desktop SkyStar1 TV and SS1 Data.

Jim

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Jim, thanks for that. I'd done the first bit without the card installed, so the second bit failed on the reboot. After that it got stuck just trying to install the drivers again after each reboot. Removed the drivers, started over, and it worked fine :)

Looks like I've got the same s/w as you - 1.0 build 3. Hope you were just on the look-out for a new version, and not about to tell me that it doesn't work ....

Cheers, Carl.

8. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Carl, it works but not as good as I had hoped. I get errors when selecting channels etc. I got Euro1080 to work and it was not too bad except it was skipping frames here and there. It could be my set up or combination of hardware and I was just wondering if you had a later software version. You might not have the problems I had with it and now at least we can compare notes plus I am sure there will be an update once it gets out in the market place and reports go back to the programmers. I am back to using my Hauppauge now which is just about flawless since Abstrakt introduced me to "My Theatre" software, which works great with it.

Jim

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just to report back now I've had this for a week or so, and it all looks good.

The Skystar 1 CI card seems to work just fine, with no issues with other 2rd party DVB apps (ProgDVB works just fine). I'm not using the onboard decoding (there is an option to use it or not - it seems to appear as two device options - one with, one without).

Performance with Hi-Def is just fine. Initially I was using a Matrox p650 card, and there was much frame droppage. I dropped in a Radeon 9600 (i think) I had lying around, and now it's smooth as silk (All this with a P4 2.6Ghz).

I haven't tried the CI slot just yet, since Euro1080 appears to be free-to-air, so no need for it at the moment.

The supplied SkyStar CI TV application isn't too bad - it's the only one I've got that does scheduled recording, so I'm happy using it for now. I'm sure there's a plugin for ProgDVB, but I find that a little crashy, moreso than the SkyStar one.

MyThreatre looks good, but it'll only playback recordings - looks like I have to get into building filter graphs to get it working with off-air material. Still, no rush ;)

Cheers, Carl.

10. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Any chance of an update.
    Are these cards any good and do they work with the HD1 Card?

Kevin

11. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait to see what will happen with French TPS or German HDTV.
    HD1 (euro1080) isn't worth it for the moment and you'd need a irdeto cam and "life-long" (as long as they exist) subscription card.
    Untill now it is not known what encryption the others will use. As they have rights to TVshows and films, their content will be worthwhile !

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've been having problems with mine - I've tried a couple of CAMs now, and whilst they're recognised by the SkyStar viewer, it fails to decrypt any channels. The supplier (sateuropa.co.uk) have been very good so far - they're working with Technisat to try and figure out what's wrong.

But I believe Muf has been successful with his card, CAM and HD1 card. The card is certainly happy with HD1 while it's FTA during the day.

Muf - which CAM were you using when you were running the SS1 ?

Cheers, Carl.

13. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using the Irdeto 2 CAM from Irdeto themselves but I am not using the SS1 CI at the moment. I use the Hauppauge Nova CI (TechnoTrend Budget card) and MyTheatre software. The results from this combination are excellent. Abstrakt introduced me to MyTheatre and he is using the TechnoTrend card also but I don't know what CAM he has.

Jim.

14. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks guys.
    Any more of you successfully using a CI?
    I'm using an older SS1 without the CI. I have to use MyTheatre as thats the only route I know with this card to view HDTV.
    I've been thinking about getting a CI for it but the combined units don't seem much more expensive.
    Kevin

15. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or you could use the 'poormans cam" with a cardreader like a mastera