1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky+ User - Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dazjmarshall, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have just converted from NTL to Sky+ with Multi-room. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help with.

When the engineers were setting up the boxes, I noticed that there was a couple of graphs showing items such as 'Signal Strength' and 'Signal Quality'.

What surprised me was that the Signal strength was approx 70-75% and the Signal Quality was about 60-65%. :eek:

Q: Is this a typical reading? The engineer said this was quite normal and that I would get a good picture with levels much lower. I am in the Brighton area if it helps answer this.

The second question I have is the TV Guide. All was working OK until today, when for some reason, pressing the guide just shows the message "Searching for Listings .. Please Wait".

So, I wait ... and wait ... and then the message goes away and I am returned to the channel I was watching !

Anyone got any ideas as to what that is all about ?? :confused:

Cheers,
    Daz

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The signal readings are reasonable and you should have no problems with reception even if the levels do drop a little, less than 50% in clear weather may be a cause for concern though.
    However since atmospheric conditions can cause signal loss these readings could fall and may lead to picture break up in extreme conditions. Since you are under warranty if this does happen do not hesitate to get the installer back, it may be that an installer with a little more time can align the dish, adjust the LNB to get those extra few percent that makes a difference or even fit a larger 60cm mini dish.

There have been a few odd things happening with the listings over the last month and they have been reported over at DS by quite a few people myself included.
    It may be that you were just seeing a minor hiccup which SKY are at the root of (perhaps altering things in preperation for the updated EPG) but it may be a slight bug in the OS. It's not an uncommon "bug" which I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty why it does it:)

If it continues than don't forget you have a warranty.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi daz,

My son lives in Brighton and has Sky+ but lives in an area higher than the town centre. He has excellent reception there.

Starburst has given very useful information regarding reception, and the hiccups you may encounter.

I have no trouble with my Pace V2 box but I have had the "Searching for Listings" occasionally for no obvious reason ever since I had Sky. I was interested to see Starburst mention that odd things have been happening with the listings over the last month. I have had more than the occasional problem with the listings myself just lately. Glad to know it's happened to others as my box is one month beyond the end of its warranty!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the box is recording two programmes at once, you cannot access the programme guide, because both tuners are in use. Problems accessing the EPG at other times could indicate a problem with the box or dish, but it's more likely to be a temporary problem at Sky.

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Nick for the reassurance that problems with the my EPG could be a temporary problem at Sky. We have been indundated with calls from Sky these past few weeks trying to sell us repair cover for the digibox as it is now out of warranty. I said to my husband that the box is sure to become faulty now! Then we had these odd problems with "Waiting for Listings" and the odd hiccup with the EPG. I hope it is just a glitch and not a hard disk failing.

I would do a "Housekeeping" but my Planner Guide is always full with "must see" films and programmes that still seem to be stuck there months later and not enough time to see them. This is probably the case with 99% of the Sky members of this forum!

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sometimes all that is required is a "soft reset" (i.e. unplug the Sky box, count slowly to 10, then plug it back in again).

7. Badfeeling

Badfeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This may require a soft reset which is to unplug the Sky+ box. Plug it back in and leave it on standby for 60 seconds (red light on) then switch it on. The box will go through a self diagnostic during this time.

If this does not work then you might want to trigger an astrascan from the LNB set-up menu.

Normally "searching for listing" will occur occasionally but you just need to give it a slight nudge!

I hope this helps.

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

Thank you for the advice. I haven't done that for a while, but I will do the "soft reset". I had seen that term mentioned here before but never realised what it meant.

Hi Badfeeling,

Thank you for your help. It was interesting to know that the box goes through a self diagnostic during the "soft reset". More intriguing is the "astrascan". I never knew there was an LNB set-up menu let alone such a thing as an "astrascan". Please tell me more about this and how I may access this menu. Is there any danger of damage to the box if I did this? I really would like this information to copy and paste. If I start having serious problems with the box I could then resort to this.

I have often wondered about the vulnerability of the LNB as I have the Sky dish on a high pole in the garden. (It was necessary due to very tall trees blanking the signal; one had to be removed.) Thus it's quite exposed and possibly encounters some movement.

I find this forum fascinating as there is always something to be learnt and the people are so knowledgeable here. (I don't include myself as one of those!!)

9. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Cynthia,

Many thanks for your response, I am also higher than the town centre and my question was just one of curiosity ... ;)

As to the 'Search for Listing' issue I had, well that's gone away now :smashin: I just did the soft reset that a couple of other had also mentioned and that 'cured' it.

But good to see that others have had this... in the nicest possible way of course ... :D

10. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cynthia7, What badfeeling is talking about is the installers menu which can be accessed by pressing the following buttons. services, 4, 0, 1, 0, select. You will then see a menu with settings for Lnb amongst others.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Make a note of all the settings if you go into the installer's menu, just in case you change something by accident.

12. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi daz,

I'm glad the "soft reset" cured your "listings" problem, what a relief to you.

My son lives in Kew Street, with the graveyard at the end of the road. A convenient place to live, but I hate the walk up from the town with that gradient! Good Sky + reception there though.

Hi sinbrad and Nick,

Thank you for the information of the installers menu, I have copied and pasted this now.

Yes Nick, it is crucial to keep the settings, and easy to forget about it too. I have added that to the copied and pasted message!