New sky subscription

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dave76, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dave76

dave76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a sky subscription (well sky+ actually) at my parents house. I will be moving into a flat at the end of the month and will need a subscription there - but not yet decided what will happen to the existing one.

If I take out a new one in my name while keeping the current one, do I count as a new subscriber or an existing one? This affects the deals available. Do I transfer my existing sub to my mums name and then become a new subscriber myself? Or should I recommend sky to the person I am living with and get them to get the subscription? Oooh, so many ways of doing it!

2. megabit

megabit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in exactly the same position and can't work out what's best. I've just been on the phone to sky and they won't let me change the name on the contract (I'm well outside the first 12 months). I would have to cancel the existing subscription and my parents would then be "new customers".......

3. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Depends who pays the DD. If it is you then take it with you and your folks can be reconmended as new subscribers earning you a free sKy+ box. If it's them then do the same in reverse. Doesn't really matter either way except you'll have to pay £40 for a moving home offer if there is no dish set up at your new place.

Cheers, Franc

4. dave76

dave76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see - I will be after a HD box myself I think

5. GingeNB

GingeNB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does it work if you want to take a new subscription at the same address?

I want to take over my partner's existing Sky+ contract so it's in my name and I pay the direct debit. When she rang Sky customer services, they said: cancel your contract and get him to take out a contract as a new customer.

I didn't think Sky would allow a contract to be cancelled and taken out again at the same address, otherwise we'd all do it to take advantage of those new-customer deals.

Has anyone else been through this?

TIA

Neil

6. GingeNB

GingeNB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add that we'd be very chuffed if we could get a new Sky+ box out of this - our Pace v1 is getting on a bit!