New SKY+ Software Issues , Faults 10 and 12

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by John, Mar 24, 2006.

1. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Some of you may have read my earlier thread regarding possible HDD failure .

Just got off the dog and bone with a nice scottish lady @ Sky . Had my story all prepared about not want to pay call out as I intended to order HiDef this morning . But as soon as I mentioned Technical Faults 10 and 12 , both of which I have had overnight , she advised me that it was a known software issue and the techies are working on it . With a solution expected by the middle of April :( . Not a hint of booking a non required service call , unlike last time .

Its just something I (we) will have to put up with until its sorted :( (again :mad: )

John

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Well , I've had over 10 crashes of the box since I posted this today . If its a software issue I cant surely be the only one , can I ?

John

3. Xorro

Xorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Whats all this?

My Sky+ box has been crashing all night and driving me crazy. I thought the HDD had failed as there were some loud clonking noises coming from the box.

Can I assume that this is down to a software upgrade, I did notice that I was on 4.00o

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I am not alone
    Thank god . :(
    Everything I know is in the first post matey

5. Xorro

Xorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    So, what are technical faults 10 and 12?

Has there been a recent software upgrade? I had the usual one a few months back, not sure if there's been once since as I 've not been on here for a while.

BTW I have been running with the larger hdd (as per sig) for around 15months now, wondered if that might be the prob?

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I only have a standard drive . There are a couple of posters on Digitalspy with a similar problem , but on the Amstrad

John

7. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    John, I was getting the same problems as you regarding the tech. faults 10 and 12. I was keeping all the failed recordings in my planner until I was ready to call customer services to replace my box. The day before yesterday, I was watching sky and it went off. A couple of minutes later it turned itself back on again. On checking the system details, I noticed that I had received a new software update which is now sky+4.01a. Early days yet but I haven't had any problem since (and I was getting a fault almost daily in the last week or so). I really hope the new software is a fix for those problems but I will inform you all if things go wrong again. My box is an Amstrad pvr3 by the way.

8. Xorro

Xorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I forced a software update last night, but I'm still on 4.00o

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    So am I .
    However , turning off the live rewind facility seems to have stopped the crashes . Atleast there have not been any this morning

John

10. Xorro

Xorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    My box wouldn't come out of standby this morning.

Rang Sky CS who suggested removing and replacing the LNB cables, then switching it on and off.

Sounded like a load of old nonsense, but the box has only crashed once this morning. Oops, its just gone again as I've typed this!!

11. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The thing is, why should you have to turn off the live rewind to get the box to work? It's basically removing the functionality of the box! Next thing they'll be asking us to turn off the record feature :)

Whenever I call Sky with a problem, they always say "turn the box off at the mains, check the scart & lnb cables, switch back on again" It's getting Soooo boring. I've got the Amstrad box & it's slow & has sound dropouts & it's bloody annoying. In case anyone from Sky is reading this thread, it's not a "known issue", IT'S A FAULT. Get it sorted. It's not like we're not paying enough for the service in the first place is it?

12. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

Its better than not been able to view TV at all

John

13. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    True, but my point was we're paying for Sky+ to use things like live rewind. How long are they going to fob us off with "a fix is on it's way". It's been like this for months.

14. BB-frank

BB-frank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 sky+ boxes both of which are amstrads a v2 and a v3.

Had the v2 just over a year now and not had a single problem with it but the v3 with the larger hard drive has been a bloody nightmare, continual crashing with errors 7,8,9,10 and 12 being the reasons for this according to the info.

Been on the dog to sky and now on my third replacement box and still doing the same and i was also fobbed with the jan,feb,mar and now the april fix (wonder if its april the 1st).

The numpty on the end of the phone even had the nerve to tell me that customers were made aware of these problems before they subscribed myself included.

I hate all that american crap that sky show with a vengeance especially that childish wrestling:( and only watch footy and national geographic and stuff like that but it looks like its time to cancel for me as i have now been paying £40+ per month for what is only half service for over months.

15. Xorro

Xorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well, I narrowed the 'problem' down to the box only crashing when its recording, regardless of whether I am watching something previously recorded, or a live channel.

However, tonight the disk crashed completely and after attempting a planner rebuild I was told that I had no programs in my planner. The disk was 62% full...

:mad:

16. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    Yep , no crashes yesterday at all . Had the box functioning like a standard digibox , No recording , no pausing no rewinding :rolleyes: . right royal pita

17. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where do you get these error numbers from? What do they relate to specifically??

18. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    If you select one of your failed recordings and press the information button on your remote, it will show you the Technical Fault that caused the recording to fail. I'm not too sure what they relate to though.

19. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

I don't think they relate to anything specific , atleast thats the feeling over at DS . As I mentioned earlier , as soon as I mentioned them , was advised it was a known software issue :(

John

20. ades

ades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after many phone calls to sky I have been told that there is a software issue
    with Amstrad sky + boxes which is causing the recording to fail, or not letting you view this Sky are looking into this problem, having just done a search on the internet I found this very informative site can any body tell me if this is just waffle from sky or should I be asking for a change of box from a different
    manufacturer or does it seem to affect different makes
    Thanks Ade:lease:

21. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I'm starting to wonder if the software update that I've had was only for the Amstrad pvr3 hence the 4.01a.
    Four and a half days without a problem now guys :)

22. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    No problems here (so far ) after the recent upgrade. I have also noticed that navigating the menu systems is much quicker than before.

AMSTRAD PVR3

23. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    As there only seems to be a handful of peeps suffering , decided to change the HD today , just in case . Only an 80GB one , but its more than enough for what i want .
    Will post back and let you know if any of my issues have been resolved

John

24. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Recently got Sky +, plus multi-room and I haven't had any crash problems (touch wood!), however one thing I have experienced is that the recording feature will not work.

It brings up a pop up saying please wait...and that is all I get. Quitting back to the TV menu I switch the box off, unplug it from the wall, take the card out and wait a minute or so till replacing everything...then everything seems to work OK.

This has happened twice now and when the box was installed (Amstrad...really wanted a Pace!!) the installer commented not to leave it on over night as it will burn the hard drive out.

So every time we are not watching it, it goes onto standby.:suicide:

25. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing here.

Every few days when I try to get into my planner by pressing the green button it just sits there saying PLEASE WAIT OR PRESS BACKUP and the only way I can get it back is the old switch off at the mains malarky.

Do you lot mean the same thing above as hard drive crash ?

If it happens and fails to record. It says that I have had a power cut when I know have not had one. :confused:

It only starts doing it after the update to the planner green button thing

And I have switched off the rewind function.

Wish they would hurry up and sort this out

26. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304

Quick update on my digibox . Having been away in the sun for a week , set SKY+ up for a number of recordings whilst I was away . Not one was missed or failed :clap: . So the HD could have been the problem for me . However , I was specifically told there was a known software issue . Who knows ? But I have avoided a beating due to missed ER and Casualty recordings , so I'm a happy bunny :D

John

27. paddyirishman05

paddyirishman05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4 and a half years later and still no solution. :mad::mad::mad: