1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ajbeech, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm getting ready to purchase a plasma screen and have been looking at the Hitachi 42PD5200 and Panny 42 Viera. Having spend a fair amount of time browsing posts on this forum, I've started getting a bit concerned about HDTV and ensuring the screen I buy will be future-proof. As I understand things, the concern is that these screens may well not work with the HDTV format being proposed by Sky etc.

My question is whether the new Sky Plasma (built by Hitachi, looks like the 42PD5200) is also handicapped - it would appear to be a pretty dumb move by Sky if that is the case.....

Andrew

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Pioneer 435 The only future proofed choice (so far)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Since Sky has not released any details of what their standard for HDTV will be, there is presently no such thing as "future proof" plasma.

Also, it isn't wise to assume that the Sky plasma is exactly the same spec as the Hitachi 5200. It may look like the Hitachi. It may well be made by Hitachi, but OEM products are usually produced to a customer's specs, not the manufacturers.

4. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I thought Sky had indicated what their most likely HDTV format would be - thats why there has been so much concern on this and other forums.

As for the new Sky Plasma, there is a glowing review in What Plasma and LCD TV - it states it is a Hitachi 42PD500 that has been "tweaked" for use with Sky - and it gets a glowing review.....

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, since there is no European spec for HDTV, and the only other HDTV satellite service in Europe (Euro1080) is using 1080i/50 and 720p/50, a lot of people have speculated that Sky will use that too. It's by no means guaranteed though, because Mr Murdoch has been known to make questionable technical decisions in the past, which have been decided more by financial reasons than technical ones.

P.S. I'm fairly sure that one of Euro1080's backers is Pioneer, who just happen to be one of the few manufacturers in Europe making plasma TV's which are 50Hz capable ;)

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I guess it would be of interest to know which HD formats these "Sky Plasma's" do support.

Interesting thing is, they're based on the Hitachi 42PD5200, which supports 1080i50 but NOT 720p50, while the latter has been announced by Sky themselves as being their primary HDTV format of choice (with 1080i50 a distant second). Doh??

At this point there are 4 alternatives I can think of:

Either way, imho Sky should have provided either zero technical detail in their announcement (with more details to follow on a future separate announcement) or provide ALL required technical details in that announcement.

They decided (or most probably, didn't really know what they were doing) to do s'thing in between, which created the mess we've seen over the last few weeks, people switching or cancelling purchases, tons of unanswered questions, etc...

As for the %% probabilities above, anyone wants to take a wild guess...? ;)