New Sky Owner

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Just had my Sky HD installed WOW :eek::eek:

What a difference, any tricks I need to know of? I have a Panasonic TX-32LXD70 telly, HD res at 720p.

First thing I'm gonna do is buy a £50 QED HDMI lead, I don't have a surround set....yet....

Anything I need to know though?
I don't have a clue about series link though, my box is a Thompson one and I would like to know so I can record Heroes in HD.

echrada

Banned
The HDMI lead is going to make no difference if your sky box is close to your tv.

Concentrate on getting surround sound, the difference will be amazing.

Series link works this way, in your planner you wil see all the colour buttons once you have the programme you want to record in your planner then press the green button and it will series link it.

emporer

Banned
a short 1m HDMI cable for under a tenner will be just the same as the 50 quid jobby

solidamber

Dont bother with the lead, yes you can record Heroes on from BBC HD in HD quality, When you add a programme to record to your planner screen pressing the green button will set the box to record the rest of the series for you. (this option is not availabe on all programms/channels)

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Wow, why is their no difference in the cable guys? I'm not complaining as I can save money and tidy my cables up now.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
basically over such a short length there is nothing to gain bu buying an expensive lead.

if you were running a 10 to 15 meter lead then it makes sence to buy a better quality lead.

for example i have my sky running to my projector witha component lead that cost £90 its a belden lead.

i did have a cheappy £20 job and the differnce between the belden lead and the cheap lead was easy to spot.

for a run of 2 meters a cheapy lead will work jsut fine

magoo1

Novice Member
To clarify slightly... the HDMI lead carries a digital signal which is a collection of 1's and 0's ie the signal is either on or off - there is no in-between. Therefore you will NOT gain by spending money on a "better" HDMI lead despite what the polyester suited sales weasels will try and tell you.

FGEvans1's component lead is a slightly different animal however - there the signal is analogue and can degrade over distance which is why he saw a benefit in upgrading cables.

Hope that helps!:thumbsup:

sieade245

Standard Member
I bet i know the £50 QED lead you're talking about. I went and bought one of these when i bought my DVD player not realising it was not going to make a blind bit of difference because of the digital signal. Ooops!!

Si

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I bet i know the £50 QED lead you're talking about. I went and bought one of these when i bought my DVD player not realising it was not going to make a blind bit of difference because of the digital signal. Ooops!!

Si
I think it's the blue one? or it may be pink? Either way I've saved money and sorry to hear you fell for the trap. At least you'll know better next time.

Chris4Koi

You need an optical lead as well....

you should also know that you will need to connect your SkyHD box with both HDMI and Optical to get the 5.1 HDS when you get your AV Amp....:hiya:

apolloa

Distinguished Member
You need an optical lead as well....

you should also know that you will need to connect your SkyHD box with both HDMI and Optical to get the 5.1 HDS when you get your AV Amp....:hiya:
If I get a AV amp :D
Just brought a new mobile as well and next is a new a pair of new laptops. May have to wait till Jan for a surround sound system, but then I'll be in the Jan sales :thumbsup:

Is their any difference between 1080i and 720p? I was alway's under the impression that 720p is much better?

I'm still stunned at the picture quality, stuff the rest of Sky, I'm happy with anything HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom