1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new sky + installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by micks_address, Dec 6, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    hi folks,

just got sky plus installed today so no real opinions formed yet.. well apart from the remote is bigger... tried recording a few programmes it everything seems to be working fine.. got multi room in the bedroom so it'll be nice to have that...

couple of things.. the installers were sound enough and i was chatting away to them...

one of them mentioned that there's a software upgrade due next year to allow you record 4 times as much tv... i reckoned this is non sense unless they are going to allow lower bit recordings... or there's a bigger hard disk in the machine and their just not using it - ot they are going using some sort of compression - the box is a pace... i'm guessing version 2 box but not sure how to check that..

anyway no problems to report...
    cheers,
    mick

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The rumour of some sort of compression has been circulating for a long time, totally pointless exercise IF it exists, for two reasons. First why would anyone want to reduce the PQ of a digital broadcast and second HD costs will continue to plummet making an upgrade more attractive as time goes on.

As for the hardware front.......
    The SKY+160 from Thomson is out now and that has 4x the capacity.
    There is also going to be a SKY+ v2.5 from PACE (I believe) which will have an 80gig hard drive, don't think it will have the USB ports.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    hmmm one problem so far.. box just switched itself off this evening around 8... went into standby by itself and it took a few presses of the sky button to get it back up and running.... maybe due to to much messing on my part but will keep an eye on it...

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Probably an over the air software update if it's a new box. Wouldn't worry about it...

Cheers
    Andy

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    quick question.. if you put the sky plus box in standby mode will it still record?

also yesterday something i had set to record only part recorded saying that signal was lost during the recording.. does this happen often? bit annoying all the same...

cheers,
    mick

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, it'll still record if it's in standby. Sky + can be a bit touchy sometimes about recordings, some people have more problems than others.