1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky Installation - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by damian_28, Jun 19, 2005.

1. damian_28

damian_28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We currently have a standard Sky package and are shortly to move to a new home which does not already have Sky installed. To try and get the best deal/setup, any help with the following questions would be appreciated:

1. Our current Sky package is in my wife's maiden name. Could we cancel this and be treated as a new customer at a new address?

2. Would we be open to any better deals by doing the above?

3. If we cancelled, would Sky want us to return our existing box or could we retain it to use with a freeview card in another room at the new address?

4. Our new house does not have any existing cabling. We would like Sky in the lounge and the master bedroom (directly above the lounge) as a minimum. We have no great need for a multiroom setup, so were considering just using a feed from the RF2 socket to the bedroom. Is it possible to get a decent picture using this method?

5. Is it worth having wall plates installed to tidy up the cabling or can these impact on the picture quality, etc? I guess you still need to have a cable to the box so possible pointless exercise installing them.

6. Would it be better to use a local installer for any work or do the Sky installers do as good a job, using the best materials, etc?

7. If it is best to use a local installer, where is the best place to find one for the West Midlands area?

Any views would be appreciated. If there is anything else that we should consider in arranging the new installation, then we would be grateful to know.

Many thanks,

Damian

2. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    OK here goes with my suggestions:

1/ If you are outside of the 12 months then just cancel and reorder at the new address then you will get a nice new install and new box (some people get caught with the bank account being the same so just make sure you give a different bank ac no.

2/ I think it is about £60 to move house with Sky so I guess you will be able to get a better deal than this :smashin:

3/If you are outside of the 12 months then the box is yours so no need to return (quick ebay job with the old one :smashin: )

4/ Yep I had mine like this although now have multiple tellys so use a booster box powered through the RF2

5/ I have them much tidier and no diff to quality if installed properly

6/ Not able to comment although Sky usually use local contractors anyway

7/ No idea as not my neck of the woods!

Hope these help!

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A moving home offer is a standard £40 for a single box.

No they don't.There are nearly 1000 installers employed by Sky, plus subbies.

4. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589

Cheers for confirming

Well I must be the odd one then mate as every time we (and everyone local to me) has had a sky install it has been a variety of local companies, probably subcontracted but nonetheless they are still individual companies

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I dont know how much sky look into the previous customer thing but it is very easy for a company to legally trace an individual to previous addresses and aliases (and maiden name is arguably easier) - she who must be obeyed works in fraud and has an automated system to churn out any bank accounts/customers etc which match against certain criteria (if Sky are serious about this these days it would be easy for them to do the same against their historic customer information)

6. TheCat

TheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am about to move house and have Sky at the moment. I'm not sure if the new house has cabling or not.

Is it cheaper to simply get Sky in to fit new equipment with a box upstairs too, or to get somebody to fit our old equipment and which would therefore require cabling only?