New Sky Installation - cables

F

Freester

Hi,

I am wanting to get Sky+ installed as a new customer. However I have heard some nightmares about the quality of the work from the Sky ‘standard’ installation. We have recently done a lot of work to our house and really don’t want cables run through our house by the skirting board or directly in to the front room from outside.

What I really want to do is do a cavity drop from the loft to the point in the living room (house is a bungalow) where the TV is. I spoke to our local aerials and satellite guy and he can’t do a Sky+ install for less than £250. Obviously this is nowhere near as good a deal as the £99 + first 3 months half price that you can get direct.

I have also heard that most of the Sky direct installation guys will not go in the loft.

So what I am thinking is when the guy comes, he can fix the dish and drill a hole in the loft. While he is fixing the dish I can run the cable in the loft and pull it through the cavity drop. I have already installed a back box with a blank faceplate and run a ‘mouse’ ready to pull the cable through. I can then just drill holes in the blank face plate and pull the cables through – he can then attach the connectors that fix the two cables to the box… Which is what I would assume he would do anyway if he ran the cable himself? Later on I can worry about putting a proper face plate / connector to the wall…

Has anybody done anything like this? Do you think the engineer will be up for doing this? I am thinking it shouldn’t cost him any extra time, if anything it might save him a bit…

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Got my Sky+ fitted Friday by one of Sky's sub-contractors. He was a really good bloke who did a neat job. While we waited for the software download to get the Pace box up to date we had a chat about install problems. He said they are not allowed because of health and safety rules to go in the loft unless it is boarded.
If I turned up at a customer's and they offered to do half the job for me I'd jump at it. :)

I dont think it should be a problem, but why not have the cable direct into your front room?
I recently had Sky+ fitted, and they drilled from outside direct into the backbox, which I had a blanking plate for.
You need to consider that there are two cable's for Sky+ as well.

You also need to think about the phone line, from the box to your phone point.

docb said:
I dont think it should be a problem, but why not have the cable direct into your front room?
I recently had Sky+ fitted, and they drilled from outside direct into the backbox, which I had a blanking plate for.
You need to consider that there are two cable's for Sky+ as well.

You also need to think about the phone line, from the box to your phone point.

Thanks for that. I have left two 'mice' and two holes in the back box. Perhaps drilling into the back box from outside may be an option I had not considered though.

When we rewired / replastered the room I had the foresight to leave a phone point in the corner of the room where the TV is so at least that won't be a problem...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom