1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky+ install

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Arsenal, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my sky upgraded to sky+ this morning and it was all completed by 10:15am seemingly smoothly (although my signal quality seems a lot lower now?) , and the guy said that it would take 2 hours max for everything to be ready.. Now at 4:45pm I have just tried to set it to record the premiership tonight, but is telling me:

Recording is not available
    call 08705 800800
    to upgrade your sky+ subscription

Am i being impatient or just stupid? They must have done something since it was installed because when it was first installed i tried a sky channel and it said the sky viewing card wasn't the right one for this box, but i can watch sky channels now. I tried the full reset from hidden menu but still the same.
    Don't want to call them if its just me being dim.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should call them. The viewing card should be the one from your old Digibox. If you have two cards, DON'T put the mirror card in your SKY+ box.

Poor signal quality is common after a SKY+ conversion. It usually occurs because the extra weight of the quad LNB bends the dish arm, letting the LNB droop out of the focal point. The installer is often too lazy to fix this if the picture looks OK. You may find some programmes give the dreaded "No satellite signal..." message in the near future.

See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech
    Page 10

I hope you didn't sign the installer's sheet to say you were happy with the complete installation!

3. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When ours was done a few weeks back, the installer realligned the dish after swapping the LNB resulting in a much better signal level and strength than before.

After he connected up the box he put in the viewing card, phoned a number and gave them the viewing card and new box details. Within seconds we had a picture and then a short while later the message about 'Recording Not Available' went. The installer checked the recording worked and went through a number of channels to make sure they were all working.

Do you subscibe to enough stuff to get the recording function for free? Sorry if that's a daft question.

4. cooky

cooky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had the same thing Phone sky and they will sort it out while your on the phone to them

5. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone, i phoned them and now the recording problem is sorted.

Re the signal quality, i suspect you're right Fernsehman he didn't make any adjustments after he came inside and hooked things up.. unfortunately i did sign the form, as it didn't occur to me to check the signal until later (after i'd finished watching the rugby!).. Do you think its a major problem? The picture quality seems fine and i know itv (one of the channels your link suggests would be a problem) is fine as that is what the rugby was on.

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having Sky+ installed tomorrow. As I already subscribe to the Sky World package I trust the changeover will be smooth! I have never experienced problems with the Sky call centre and I am happy, so far, with their service. Wish me luck!

7. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    does the sky + have a better picture than a regular sky channel as im interested in getting it but i dont want to pay the extra just for a hdd and 5.1

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The SKY+ uses pretty much standard tuner and decoder hardware which is used across the whole range of digiboxes, there will be differences between manufacturers which some people (and their TV's) say are more evident so basically the answer would be there is no difference but with some reservations:)
    However there is no other hardware on the market that can record SKY's subscription and FTV channels at the quality SKY+ does and if you are on a subscription package that gives you the "free" SKY+ sub then even the slightly higher initial purchase price (Compared to a new digibox) makes the decision to purchase SKY+ a no-brainer.

Of course if you are not in the market for a new digibox even with the much lower price the SKY+ is now compared to when it launched might still be too much. If in any doubt, wait a while, I expect there to be more moves on the price next year and eventually the SKY+ and it's cousins will probably be the base hardware for SKY Digital.

9. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's the best £200 I've ever spent.