New Sky install, can I use a second box in diff room for FTA channels?

M

mss74

Hi

I have had a Sky install (dish & box) for a good few years without ever subscibing to Sky (so just getting Free To Air channels). I am now subscribing and am getting the install later this week. As I already have a functional dish I am assuming they will just come and fit a new box. That will leave me with a spare box and FTA card.

What is the easiest way to connect that box up to a TV in spare room so that I can use that TV to watch FTA channels? Is it possible to split the cable going into new box so that I have two seperate cables one for each box.

Thanks

Robbie34

The simplest way is to fit a dual lnb to the dish and route the extra lead to your spare room.

I'm not sure how Sky operate but you could ask in advance if they could do this. It's a simple matter but not sure how much they would charge.

M

mss74

Robbie34 said:
The simplest way is to fit a dual lnb to the dish and route the extra lead to your spare room.

I'm not sure how Sky operate but you could ask in advance if they could do this. It's a simple matter but not sure how much they would charge.

Thanks. I have just spoken to the someone at the install team at Sky and they said it would be possible to spilt the cable. But would this give me a drop in quality? I will ask if the can fit a dual lnb.

B

Boy Lex

Clearly the install team are giving you bad information. You can't just split the cable... you could, but you would only have one box working at a time, so you'd have to remember to keep switching one box off (pulling the wall socket out - it still looks at the satellite when it's on standby)... Also I don't know whether you could fry the lnb by asking it to do two things at once. You'll need a twin or quad lnb and another cable to do this properly.

M

mss74

Maybe the best thing will be to ask them to fit the new box to the second TV and then swap the boxes round after they have left. Then its their problem as to whether they fit an new dish or a dual lnb (a dual lnb being my preference).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom