new Sky HD box is noisy...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by oidsman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. oidsman

oidsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a skyHD box since just before Christmas and it seems very noisy. Initially I could hear a 'sound' that was every 2 seconds or so (difficult to describe but like something truning slowly and every so often brushing against something) and now I have noticed that the general hummmmm of the box is quite loud. Is this fans I can hear (it reminds me of the xbox 360 fan noise - for those of you with one you know how loud that can be!)?

The hummm seems to me to be more apparent now than a week ago.

has anyone else experienced this? Just want to know whether this is 'normal'?

Thanks,

2. kevmarshall

kevmarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    If the "brushing against something" is a clicking noise it will be the hard drive.

The humming is probably fan noise.

Some people seem to have one or both of these problems....................some say they have none.

Get Sky to change it if it is too bad.

3. thesonyfan

thesonyfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try turning off the instant rewind feature.

Services - Sky+ Setup - Instant Rewind.

This should make the box a bit quiter as it's not constantly recording (Live pause still works)

4. frankyknuckles

frankyknuckles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the same problem. HD installed today, the box is very noisy!!

5. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    My box was very noisy when it was installed. Both the disk drive and the box fans were running continuously.

I rebooted the box and that stopped the box fan running but the disk drive fan was running continously so I rebooted a 2nd time and now the disk drive fan only comes on when the drive heats up.

Both reboots I turned the box off for 30 seconds.

The disk drive is a bit "clicky" but not overly noisy.

6. oidsman

oidsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance but is a reboot just switching off for 30 seconds or is there more to it?

7. oidsman

oidsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an additional point I had problems with playback yesterday when the picture kept breaking up and now i've just had a live pause which kept looping to the start when unpausing/ fast forwarding.

will sky swap the box or will they insist on formatting etc??

8. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    If it helps at all, my 360 is very noticeably louder than my SkyHD box (and I mean the fans, not the ridiculous "747 on full thrust" sound of the DVD drive)

9. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    No just switch it off for 30 secs.

10. Bialykot

Bialykot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes - the HD boxes are noisy. I used to have a Panasonic Sky+ and that was fine. Upgraded to HD and multiroom and have ended up with 2 Thomson boxes - the HD one which has loud fans and a PVR3 Sky+ which 'whines' when it's turned on. Had the HD one replaced - second a bit better but still noisy - drives me nuts. Got one of these 'Smart Eye' IR extenders from Maplin today (£7) and hooked it up to the second aerial output so I can change channel remotely - moved the box to another room. It all works well and I can't hear those stupid fans anymore (but the wife is none too pleased as it's now sitting in her dining room, humming away like a small fridge!).

11. brendan_dj

brendan_dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    You do have to turn it on again afterwards :D

However, as a more useful contribution to this forum, I must add that I took my "whisper-quiet, silent as a mouse, never made a noise" digibox to my parent's house on Boxing Day to watch the Arsenal Game over there.

Interestingly, humming noises were very noticable. Not sure if it was a "spinning disk" sound or a "spinning fan" sound. It was certainly making a noticable loud noise.

In my parent's house, I had temporarily placed it on top of their DVD player (which incidently had no air-vents on top so I was not blocking circulation). The inside of their AV cabnet is certainly a lot hotter than mine.

Now, after returning home and put it back in its proper place, its gone back to being whisper-quiet again.

The point of all of this post is to say that I think that noisy HD boxes which are regularly reported in this forum is probably related to heat and airflow.

I'd be interested to see various pictures of Sky HD installations and compare those that are noisy and those that are quiet.

12. Bialykot

Bialykot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Both my HD boxes stood on top of racks with lots of space around them - good air flow - but still noisy. As soon as they're powered up you can hear the fans immediately - I just think that the quality control on Thomson boxes is pretty dire - some are good some are bad.

13. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Mine's stuck on top of my old VCR on the bottom of the Tv stand, no door so no air flow problems.

Never understood why the disk drive and case fans were running all the time even on standby when the box was first installed but it's all nice and quiet now.

14. oidsman

oidsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you change anything or did it just fix itself? I'm not sure whether to worry about it or not. its not horrendous but when the kids are asleep and I have the tv volume quite low it really bugs me!

15. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I didn't change anything, it just sorted itself out.