1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky digital viewing cards....some questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lemonjelly77, Jan 31, 2003.

1. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just learned sky are issuing subscribers with new viewing cards for the digi boxes and was wondering what to do.

My girlfriend has a basic sky package paying £17 a month but is able to recieve sky sports 1,2 and 3 although not sky sports extra as well as all the movie channels besides film four a package normally costing £34. The digi box is a pace box and has never been tamperd with and while painfully slow changing channels and accsessing the menu screens compared with my panasonic box, for free sky sports it is well worth putting up with......as for the movie channels i would not even consider paying for them anyway.

The dilema is what to do when the new card arrives should i use it to replace the old one, sky claim the old cards will soon not work, but will she still be able to get the free channels. I dont know anyone who has got anything free off sky not like the old on digital boxes and the blag cards.

Sky of course claim they are replacing the cards to improve the quaility of service and enhanced software but i am reluctant to believe this, my view is a lot of people may be getting free channels and they are spending millions on replacing the cards in order to stop this.

Would love to hear some opinions on this matter from anyone who may know more on these matters than myself !!

Thanks !!

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm far from an expert, but I don't think there's much choice about whether or not to upgrade. It looks like the old cards will be disabled eventually, so if you don't upgrade, you probably won't get any channels.

Not sure about your situation, but maybe the problem isn't with the box, but with your account at Sky. Sky may have you listed under the full package, but only charges £17 a month. They are able to charge varying prices for the various sky viewing packages. (temporary deals, discounts, etc) If that's the case, I don't see why you wouldn't keep your movie channels and such, even after installing the new card.

I'd hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

3. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks was kind of the way i was looking at it, that it is probably just the way the account is set up on their computer system or something..........hope for the best but prepere for the worst just seems a shame if we were to lose the free channels. Lets face it the live sport and in my case the few games a month of football i am able to watch £30 a month is a lot to pay and sky have the market sown up and able to charge so much !!

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    new cards are being sent out to stop piracy. same sort of technology as new 'chip' debit cards from banks.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone actually recieved one yet?

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would hang on keeping the old card in until you have no choice i.e. when it stops working and then replace with new card. Although I don't think its anything to do with the card itself and believe its at skys end, but just in case it is, wait has it won't do you any harm.

Then when you put the new card in and it updates itself if you lose the channels at least you would have kept them longer than if swapping as soon has it arrives and if you still get them then you've lost nothing by waiting.

Like I've already said I don't think its the card but hey who knows, just a thought.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I understand, they're being shipped out by Postcode and Scotland is getting them first. Hopefully by the time I get mine, they've already worked the bugs out of them.

But, I haven't heard anything positive about these cards. There had been speculation that you might be able to remove unwanted channels from the EPG or even additional preferences for removing the infamous Red Dot! But I don't think any of this is coming anytime soon.

8. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a good idea i have been wanting to remove MUTV for ages and while were at it there are quite a few others that i would gladly be rid of !!

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't bother me anymore, because my TiVo lets me remove any channels I don't watch. But it was incredibly frustrating before that. Maximum of 20 channels in favorites? What a joke!

10. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do I need the new card if I'm only viewing the free to view channels?

11. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sky are going to replace all the cards in due course for security reasons. They'll ensure you have a new one before the current ones stop working.

12. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in our house we've got a standard sky box and a sky+. does anyone know if they automatically send 2 cards, or if 2 are needed?

13. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you currently use both, then yes you'll get two new cards.

14. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have two digiboxes and a Sky+ box.

Sky have sent me the new cards for the two digiboxes. One worked, the other did not until 24 hours later. My dad has had no end of trouble with his new card - it worked after about 5 hours and then stopped working after anout 12 hours! That was 8 days ago. It's only been resolved today after I e-mailed the managing director at Sky. Do not destroy your original card until you're sure everything works. Sky have admitted that the new cards have been a nightmare.

I have not as yet received a card for my Sky+ box.

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've seen on the other boards, a 50% success rate is about average for the new cards. Like most everything else Sky does, there's an equal chance of it doing nothing than actually working. Here's hoping they sort out all the bugs before I get mine. (very doubtful)

Whatever you do, make sure to complain to Sky to get reimbursed for any lack of service. If your digibox is screwed up for 2 weeks, that's 2 weeks you shouldn't have to pay for your sub. It's their screwup, and they should pay for it.

16. zombie001

zombie001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Apparently from what everyone is saying is that the new cards are issued because of a security hole.
    Just out today a nds eprom reader script is out, this means that
    you can read the contents of the card eprom and basicly make a
    pirate card that will emulate the genuine sky card.

As yet the is no working hack but this has opened the door wide open. At least for a little while anyway.

17. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply, but was I clear on my last post?? I'm not sure..
    I don't have a subscription nor have the phone line connected. I use the digibox to only view the bbc,C4, etc channels. Will I have a problem if I don't get the new card? Will it just one day stop working:confused: :mad:
    marc

18. MunichMag

MunichMag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you need to have your digibox connected up to the phone line to activate the new cards when they come through?

For people who are secretly watching sky abroad this may be a problem.:(

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I doubt it. If you are no longer under contract then you are not obliged to have it connected to the phone... but don't quote me! :D

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. Sky will probably tell you to connect your box to a phone line to "facilitate" the changeover, because they're w*nkers. :)

The box should be able to get everything it needs from the satellite without any need of a phone connection.

21. MunichMag

MunichMag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The leaflet SKy sent out a month or so ago says "make sure your digibox or Sky+ box is connected to yor phone line.", but like you said, I'm hoping it's just Sky being w*nkers.

If anyone get's the new card through I'd e interested in knowing if it can be activated without being connected to the phone line.

22. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There is no need to connect it to the telephone at all.

23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have never connected mine to the telephine line and don`t intend too either, so hopefully you don`t have to, to activate the new card.
    i remember when i had the old analogue sky system they updated the viewing cards every few months

24. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "i have never connected mine to the telephine line and don`t intend too either, so hopefully you don`t have to, to activate the new card."

For what it's worth, Sky can pull a 'big brother' stunt and check, remotely, to see if your box is connected to an associated phone line. If you're under contract and your box is not connected, then you'll get a nasty letter telling you to get it wired up otherwise your service will be disabled.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group - http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

25. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When we first got Sky I never had it connected to the phone line as the TV was at one end of the room and the telephone point at the other end. Must have been 4-6 months like that before the engineer that came out to sort the box noticed and said it should be connected the whole time.

Never mentioned it again when it was then disconnected for a while befoer I installed a phone connection behind the TV.

I know that they can check (quite easily I believe) to see but I never had any problems. Also know someone else who has never plugged his in after the engineer went when it was initially installed and he's never been spoken to either.

Pot luck I guess?

26. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the phone line being connected is a security issue

if you get sky+ you can get a mirror card which mirrors your subscription to your sky+ card

so I assume this could be swapped with someone else with a basic card who would receive the extra channels for free

However, as the installer seemed to have cocked up the phone line to my second box it has never been connected

sky know about it and do not seem too stressed

27. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, I've had four of those! :smoke: