New Sky Digibox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by KeyserSoze, Jul 31, 2002.

1. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to buy a brand new Sky Digibox (to replace the first Gen Pace box that is now just toooo slow), how easy is it to match the Viewing card up with the new box.

From what I understand, I can't just take the card out the old box, connect up the new box and just shove it back in because the two aren't 'married' together.

Do I need to call Sky and spend a fortune on hold whilst they sort it out, or can I do it myself via the Installers Menu or some other means?

Apologies if this is a common question, I have done a search and can't find the answer :)

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been through this exercise so I can sympathise with you having to call Sky CS!

It is the only way though, sorry to say. I was quite lucky inasmuch as I only had a hold of a few minutes!

Tell them you have bought a new box to replace your old one that has died! They will ask the usual questions and then they will send a signal. This last bit can take some time!! I ggave up after half an hour and did a "New Install" from the engineers menu. This did the trick.

Doing this before you call Sky though won't do any good at all!

DaveP

3. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was one of those people who opted for Ondigital, believing that reception via an aerial was less complicated than having a dish installed.
    Also, I did'nt require an endless supply of movie/sports channels.
    In the main, I was fairly satisfied with what I got in return for my fairly modest monthly subscription. Even after the collapse of--now--ITV Digital, I was mildly surprised when, a month or so later, I received a partial refund on my final subscription.

I am now contemplating subscribing to Sky but I am horrified to read on these forums about:
    Surly, uncooperative installers
    'Lack of' Sky Customer Service
    Signals affected by rain!
    Sky+ that misses the start/finish of programmes

In the final analysis, is it worth it??

4. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to report that although I had to call Sky CS to get the card paired up to the new box which arrived this morning, I got through to a human in a little under 2 minutes, so not bad :)

More so, the chap I spoke to was very helpful and the card was reactivated by the time I put the phone down.

Best call I've ever had with Sky ..

A satisfied customer :)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY have their own installers and they have contract installers, plus they have X amount of jobs to do each day and they don't get paid if they for whatever reason they don't do them.
    Not making excuses but at times there are reasons why they aren't at their best customer service wise.
    If you like to deal face to face then go to an independent for the installation.
    I have never had trouble getting through to SKY and unlike NTL SKY have personnel available in the evening/night.
    In 11 years or so I have only come across one CS rep that I would cheerfully smacked if he was in front of me, I have talked to a few who didn't know what they were talking about though:)
    A correctly installed dish will give excellent results in all but "extreme" weather, microwaves are absorbed by heavy snow and rain clouds but don't forget radio waves (analogue and digital TV) can also be affected by atmospheric conditions as well.
    I've had two days of thunder/lightning and at times torrential rain and the signal hasn't even blipped !
    SKY+ relies totally on EPG data which is supplied by each channel.
    SKY is only responsible for it's own channel data not ITV1 or the BBC's or Paramounts etc etc.
    The addition of a manual timer guves the subscriber the option of setting SKY+ as a VCR.

Don't forget any forum will not be representative of the service or technology. SKY has 6.1 million subscribers and I would not base my opinions on the number and content of posts in this forum.
    Best advice is to ask friends who have SKY how they consider the platform to perform and if you are in any doubt then keep your money in ya pocket.
    As a long term SKY (analogue/digital) user I would recommend it highly, just make sure everything is installed and working correctly and you will be delighted.

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky has had a bit of bad press of late with it's customer service. I have been with them for well over 10 years now and have never realy had too much of a prblem .

I think most of what has been said on hear is due to teething problems .In the analouge years you used to be able to get through without too much of a problem , then they wen didgital and things started to get a bit strained for them . I don't think they where expecting everyone to switch at once . Things started to settle a little , then sky+ came out and things whent down hill a little again .

I look at it this way didgital tv is still very new and a lot can go wrong with somthing so new .Things are getting a lot better and when you do get through they usualy sort the problem you are having rather speedy compaired to a lot of companys .

When it comes to instalation problems this is usualy down to safty issues. Basicaly sky have been told if they let there installers do certain things and they get hurt they are lible and will have lage claims to pay out, so the installers have been told specificaly what they can and can't do .This meens that if you want somthing doing that they have been told not to do and they do it and are injured then there is nothing they can do about it. so they don't do it

Independent installers on the other hand get less work so they need every job they can get so they do what you want but you have to pay them for that risk so the cost is a lot more

Go for it There may be nothing on but there is a lot more nothing to choose from

:D

7. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dear Starburst/SimonP,

Thank you both very much for the efforts you both put into your comprehensive replies in which you addressed the various issues raised in my post.

I am somewhat reassured and will be tracking down an independent installer in my area in the near future.

Any views on Tivo VS Sky+.

Once again, many thanks.

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with asking that on here is that everyone with sky+ will tell you to get that and the same with tivo

I personaly got a sky+ for the simple reson that i wanted to record one chan while watching another (they allways put all the best stuff on at the same time if you ask me) this is the magor benefit of sky+

The tivo seems to have more functions than sky+ and if you are not bothered about recording somthing when watching somthing and want somthing to record when you are out then fine tivos can be had quite cheep .

The main good points about sky+ are it's ability to record and watch a chan on sky,

The fact that it records the didgital streem so the pic and sound is exactly the same as it would be watching it live,

It can record dd and play that back through the optical out,

It is the only way to get dd sound of sky at present,

These ar the things sky+ can do that tivo can't do .Tivo is suposed to have more record and play back functions than sky+ but itis catching up with updates . The adition of an manual timer addresses some of the problems that sk+ had and other functions will be coming like being able to record to channels at the same time .

The way i look at the whole tivo sky+ debate is , through software updates sky+ can gain and even over take tivo but no mater what you do tivo will never have the hardware capabilitys of sky+

I'm sure somone will tell you that tivo is great and i'm sure it is but my money whent with a sky+:)

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    DITTO

:)

Wow, that's so much easier than typing my full response which would echo squids.
    I would certainly not criticise TIVO though, it does what it's supposed to very very well and you do get to see what the subscription is used for, I could easily see myself buying one to replace the VCR in the family room when the time comes. However good and flexible it's software is the fact remains that UK TIVO's are not developing like US TIVO's, the format is in desperate need of a second generation machine in the UK and hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.
    TIVO DTT system anyone?

10. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you both again.

It looks like Sky+ here I come!

Brian.