New Sky Digibox??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Squeeze, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Squeeze

Squeeze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    *oh the headache of sky satellite* *sigh* a nice cup of Tea and some advice is needed.

I live in a block of flats and share a communal satellite dish, everything was working until I started receiving a "no satellite signal received" and when I checked that signal there was none.

I have had Sky engineers come to check the signal and digi box and all appeared to be ok it was suggested to contact the management service to check the satellite dish as they could not (it being a communal dish), I've had the management company come and check the signal and all appears to be ok - as other residents have not had any problems either - so back with sky and they come back and change my digital box from my nice silver box to a black and very slow Pace digital receiver. It worked for a couple of months and then i started getting the "no satellite signal received" - once again i have had the management company check and they confirmed i am receiving a signal inside my flat and suggested the fault to be with the digital box receiver - so i need a new on - I'm also out of contract with sky.

so does anyone know what is a good model/make of sky satellite digital box? someone had suggested to me that Panasonic are good. Panasonic DSB50 - fast menu and navigation..

does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Did you ever try either digibox on a neighbours sat connection?

While it is quite possible for two boxes to develop tuner problems within months of eachother it is just as likely the cable is of poor quality or has degraded connections either at the wallpoint or at the distribution box.

A SKY swap out comes with a 3 month warranty just in case your "couple of months" was accurate and not an estimate:)

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Presuming the feed to your flat is OK - check it by trying a known good receiver - I think you'd be best replacing the digibox. However, you'd be lucky to get a Panasonic, they stopped making them a while ago.

The Pace (DS430) seems to be the best bet at the moment, they are available from £150 or so. Seems expensive compared to Sky+ but that's the price! Personally, I would be looking for a recent model Panny or Pace second hand. Should be able to pick one up for about £50. Note that all digiboxes suffer from stock faults which can be expensive to fix.

Try a local dealer, if you can find one, you may pay a little more but at least you'll get a guarantee with it.

A. Dork

4. Squeeze

Squeeze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your replies. As it looks like my best solution is to get a new sky box it got me thinking if it is possible to use a sky plus box instead? ... I understand I won’t benefit from its full functionality as it requires two feeds from the sky dish - as I am using a communal dish - that luxury is not possible.. But still use a sky plus box the same way as if I was using normal sky receiver.. and maybe even be able to record the active channel viewed?

Is this possible? Will it work?

5. JamesE

JamesE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may seem obvious - but check the F connectors at each end of the cable. Sometimes the centre conductor disappears up the cable, or retreats far enough not to make contact with the box.

6. Squeeze

Squeeze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just an update:

working a treat - purchased the new Pace V2 at the weekend http://www.plusworld.co.uk/media/skyboxnew1.jpg. (£199 from Comet, Dixon's were trying to sell me one that already had the packaging security seal broken...! won't be spending in there again!)..

anyhow - connected the new sky box, plugged the sky cable into "input 1" - no second feed from Sky dish - don't have this luxury with a communal sky dish. Tweaked the picture display from PAL to RGB from sky setup menu to resolve the distorted picture.. called sky to bind my sky viewing card with my new sky box - and waited two hours before accessing all channels.

using only one feed from the sky dish to a sky + box you can pause, rewind, forward and record the program watched. You can not set the timer to record channels using the Sky + planner just get a "no satellite signal received" error on that one channel.

One thing I have noticed about the sound on sky + is a lot lower - but I am only using standard 2.1 audio output, hopefully once I have changed this to optical it will resolve this.

Model: PaceV2 Boxes 1.31A8 EPG sky+ 1.28d Model 3.024

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You can use the planner but you have to be viewing (or have the particular channel selected if you are doing unattended recording) the channel in order to record from it.