1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sky+ Customer, very unhappy with Amstrad PVR AND Sky customer service - 'elp?!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bernie Steak, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hello!

(And hello to anyone from Sky if they actually do follow up calls and bother to read on here).

If you read the Sky+ forum at Digital Spy, this is the same rant and plea I've posted over there, so save yourself the pain if you've already offered help over there! Thanks. ;)

I'm a new Sky+ customer. I ordered on the 31st August. I phoned and asked in advance for a Pace PVR3 if possible, as I was worried about reports of noisy/problematic Amstrad units.

"No can do, Sir" I was told. (Although others seem to have had more success with this request), "but you will get a PVR3, I'm sure"....

Anyway, the installers arrived, and after fitting the dish to my roof and wiring up as requested (they were good, although one of them had a very scary ladder technique!), and fitted my new Amstrad PVR3.

It seemed OK, but they were in a rush, showed me "this is the help channel, watch this and it'll show you how to use it", and off they went.

Anway, after they had gone I thought the box was a bit "clicky", but as the day wore on it became more and more annoying. I sit 11 feet away from my TV and Sky+ boc, and all I can here is "tick tick tick tick tick tick" from the hard drive.

So I called today (about 40 mins on hold) and spoke to 3 people, before being told to switch it off for 10 mins and they'd call me back. About 25 mins later I get a call, and I say it's still clicking (and it is). I've had other people walk in the room and I've simply said "can you hear that" and they've all gone "click click click click".....

Anyway, after checking I was in warranty (do people no listen to you?!) and saying yes I was, she decided she'd not have to call me back again, but could book a service call. I explained my experience (once again, for the fourth time) on here and avforums.com etc. and that the Amstrads do seem to be somewhat prone to this, but everyone with a Pace PVR3 seems happy enough. Could they arrange a Pace PVR3 please?

I was told "no", it's just down to pot luck. i was also then told (when I started to get annoyed, over an hour of my day spent on this) that I would probably get a PVR2 as "that's what you paid for". Well, I was getting nowhere, so I've said I'll probably call back later and cancel.

I really want Sky+, but my experience is seriously bad. A really noisy box and extremely poor customer service have almost put me off after only a day as a customer!

Can anyone here help? Is there a better way to reach someone who might actually be able to help? Does anyone know a name of a friendly tech or customer support person?!

It seems pot luck if you get someone prepared to help or not, and I really DO want Sky, but I really don't want the sound an erratic click coming from the region of my TV set, it's driving me mad!

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    At the bottom of my road theres a place where people kneel, put their hands together, look up and wisper a few words. I think you might get more help than Sky customer services if you find a similar place ;)

Sorry couldnt resist :rotfl: :devil:

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I think that you might get a more help from an independant installer than Sky. However as you have already gone down the Sky road you may have to cancel with them first. If they allow you.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well in one respect the CS rep was right, you can't specify a model of SKY+ and before Sept 1st the new 80gig model was not official so again if you got one of them it would have just been luck.

As for the problems well make use of the cancel procedure (I think it's 30 days no quibble(?) ) and while there is no guarantee I expect once you get passed the front line CS (who are basically sales) and speak to cancellation/supervisor then you may get a more favourable response.
    Either a replacement SKY+ (40gig pace or 80gig pace) which is what you want since the install itself seems to be ok.

5. gd2

gd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're wanting a quiet box don't go for a Pace. I've had 3 Pace and 2 Amstard and the Amstrads are silent compared to the Pace boxes. The Amstrad has cooling slots on the top and I think it's these that stops the fan cutting in as regularly as they do on on the Pace.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have to agree on the quietness issue - the Amstrad I got rid of becuase of vertical banding was silent compared to my Pace.

That said, it depends on what you're watching as to whether you notice it or not in my experience, although I'd rather not have it at all.

7. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Seems I'm getting somewhere anyway. After about a day on hold (yesterday) and getting annoyed at a few people, I rang back (spending eternity on hold this time) and an engineer is coming tomorrow, preferably with a Pace PVR3, but a new box none the less.

I think I'd prefer a fan noise to a clicking noise, the click is annoying as it's regular and frequent (like a clock or cartoon time bomb) and once you're tuned in, it just drives you bonkers!

:)

8. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I've got the clicking sound on abox thats three days old.
    In addaition it has put some interference on BBC1 I guess through therf throughput which I can't get rid of.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do you actually need the rf throughput?

Unless you're likely to want to watch an analogue channel while recording two programmes on Sky+, or your TV has integrated Freeview, I can't really see the point of having the RF cable connected from the Sky+ to the TV - it's not in my setup (although in part that's because I have crap analogue & Freeview reception, but then that's why I got Sky in the first place).

If I positively must watch an analogue channel I switch the TV to the VCR input and change to the appropriate channel on the VCR. I think the VCR is in fact the only piece of equipment I have that is actually connected to the aerial at the moment...

10. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    All sorted.

Lovely new Pace PVR3 sat in my living room, MUCH quieter. I'm a happy customer now.

:)

11. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I use the throughput to distribute sky to the tv's upstairs. One output goes to the DVD recorder and one goes to a distribution box in the loft and then to two tv's. Would there be an easier way of doing it?

Cheers

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the RF out is causing interference, you must change the channel it is set to (it defaults to 68). To find a suitable alternative will involve some trial and error. If you do not have a VCR, then channels 35, 36, or 37 may be suitable. To change it, press the following buttons on the remote in quick sequence :

Services, 4, 0, 1, Select (don't forget the Select !)

You will be presented with the installer's menu, where you can change the RF channel. DO NOT change any of the other settings !

13. craig1912

craig1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    Thanks for the help- I think I'll leave it until I can speak to them regarding the clicking sound. It really is annoying.

Cheers