Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

'New' Sky+ boxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by staxdoobie, Oct 5, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is anyone aware of a new version of the Sky+ box? I purchased one yersterday and was told that it was a brand-new version which had only just been released.

Is this true or has someone been yanking my chain?

2. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is indeed a new, smaller sky+ box (v2)

Other than the size there is no difference afaik.

Be carefull tho, sky have started shipping returned sky+ boxes as brand new which is totally illegal. Dont accept an opened box but if you do make sure everything is in there :)

3. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'd love to check everything's in the box, but when I called the Sky+ installation line to book a date, I was told not to open the box until the engineer arrived! I challenged the questionable nature of this request, but was told it was the only way of ensuring my warranty would remain intact.

By the way, they got my £50 installation charge out of me before I spotted the £1 online deal. I rang Customer Care and they're refunding me £49! A customer care line which, for once, appeared to care!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Don't assume it is SKY's policy to pass off refurnished units as new, there is a long chain of people between the order being given/passed onto SKY and the arrival of the box at your home.

You are totally correct about accepting nothing less than a sealed retail SKY+ package though, that is what you have paid for.

5. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a box from Currys yesterday who told me they had opened it to check everthing was accounted for! I have also been stung for the £50, where can I find the £1 offer or is this only for new subscribers?

6. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The £1 installation offer is with Sky themselves, clearly advertised on their website. You could try what I did, and just call customer care. Got to be worth a shot. Act all hurt, wounded and let down. Which, of course, you are - so your conscience will be clear!