1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New SIM2 HT200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by component-man, May 2, 2001.

1. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the Sim2 web site at: web page

Those wishing to purchase this projector in the future may find this useful!

***there have been improvements over the older model*** :) :) :)

2. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dc007, I don't blame you for feeling down! I would be too. I'm just wondering if current models will be upgradeable.

Having said that, if you're happy with your model, fine...if not, aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Incidently, do you see the "rainbow effect" on your model? :confused:

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The HT200DM is an addition to the Sim2 range of DLP projectors, not a replacement for the HT200.

An official UK launch of the HT200DM is planned for the CEDIA UK exhibition at the end of May. The full Sim2 product line up will be HT200, HT200DM, HT250. Dealers and Journalists attending the show will be able to see the new projector in action.

The Sim2 website has a description of the special features of the DM. Go to www.sim2.it and then click on the Latest News box.

If anyone would like further information about the product I’ll be happy to answer any questions I can through this forum.

Regards,

4. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

Any idea at this stage what the price is likely to be?

Thanks
    Phil

5. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Gotta be honest, I'm a bit cheesed off about this. Bought my HT200 in January for what I consider serious wedge. 4 months later they effectively replace the model. Not impressed.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    PhilA,
    At the moment all I can say is that the HT200DM will be more than a HT200 (£6k) but less than a HT250 (£7.5k). We are still negotiating with the factory and expect to have UK pricing finalised before the CEDIA show.

Wiseguy,
    HT200 is 800x600 resolution, 600:1 contrast ratio, 800ANSI lumens.
    HT250 is 1024x768 resolution, 800:1 contrast, 900 ANSI lumens.

Deciding between HT200 and 200DM very much depends on the price difference (which we don't know yet), whether you have a progressive scan DVD player and R1 software and finally how sensitive you might be to the colour wheel effect.

By the time you are ready to purchase, it will be possible to see the DM in action compared to a standard HT200. That will be the best way for you to decide.

Owl is the UK distributor for Sim2. We aren't a retailer. You should talk to a retailer about your plans. Sevenoaks have a nationwide chain of stores. Many of their branches carry the HT200. You'll find their details in Home Cinema Choice and some of the other UK home cinema magazines.

Regards

7. Wiseguy

Wiseguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, I wonder if I can pick your brains. I am going to be purchasing a projector in the next couple of months and have settled on the Sim2 HT200. I have seen the press release on the Sim2 web site and will certainly wait for the improved HT200 the HT200DM. I have read that their is an HT250 but haven't seen any information on it, what is the differance between that and the standard HT200 and what should I buy, the HT200DM or the HT250? Also I live in Essex, would your company be able to do my installation or do you just supply the projectors? I would be most grateful for any assistance.

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,670
    Chris - I would have thought it wouldn't be a good idea to put a progressive scan DVD player through any Sim2 projector.
    Since the output of progressive scan DVD players is a pretty useless 480p, the only way to get a decent picture (without lots of line structure visible) would be to limit the size to 6 foot or under and defocus a bit.
    Wouldn't it be better to use a home cinema PC or an interpolator like the Rock?

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Spectre: Having seen progressive DVD players in to HT200's I'd say it's a very good idea. The de-interlacing in the DVD players I saw seemed to be better than that in the HT200. The scaling in the HT200 is sufficient to turn the 480P in to 800 x 600.

It may be more adviseable to use an off board scaler if you want to increase picture quality from all sources. An HTPC would do a good job as well.

Gordon

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Spectre,
    When the HT200DM is in Prog Scan mode the active panel area of the DLP chip is 848x480 - which matches the resolution of the incoming 480p signal. The drivers to the remaining portion of the DLP chip are switched off and the processing power is diverted to just the active picture area.

Compared to a Prog Scan DVD player, a HTPC system wouldn't increase the number of pixels being driven in the active picture area. A HTPC may (and probably would) provide superior de-interlacing, but that is a separate issue.

Line structure from Prog Scan isn't a problem, as Gordon confirms. We proved this quite successfully when we launched the HT200 by projecting 12-15ft wide images from a Toshiba 9200 Prog Scan DVD player.

Regards

11. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sorry, ComponentMan - was out a few days.

I can't see the rainbow effect at all, so in that respect I'm very happy.

But, if the new models gonna cost a few hundred quid more than the HT200, and be significantly better, then I still feel peeved. :mad:

12. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all those who already own the HT200, and don`t see the Rainbow - just get an anamorphic lens like the Panamorph or Isco - you will then get full benefit of both 480p and 576p - can the new dm version fully resolve 576p ??

Costs a bit - but so do smarties !!!

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DLP chip in terms of pixel structure is almost a contiguous display, whereas with a CRT raster scanning device there can be a need to fill in the relatively large gaps between scan-lines. The gaps between micro-mirrors are only 1 micron, about 16 times smaller than the pixel size, whereas on some high res CRT projectors the gap between raster scans at say 480p can be equal to the actual scan-line width, hence the need for scaling.

I was interested to read about the HT200DM, the full 848 mode is most welcome, but doesn't help with 576p 16:9 sources. I hope there will be a HT250DM soon!

I would hope that the next stage would be to allow the HT200/250 projectors to run at the native frame rate of the progressive source, i.e 24, 25 and 30 fps.

The DLP system has no need for frame repeating like a CRT display does to reduce flicker and increase output. So running at the native rate would improve picture quality by removing motion judder and blur that can occur when repeating frames, it may also aid the reduction of (possibly eliminate!?) the rainbow effect due to the eye not having to integrate such a complex and mis-matched series of images.

3:2 judder would not be an issue either, provided the de-interlacer was state of the art. 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown would be required for progressive inputs of course.

I am not holding my breath waiting for such a device, but the designers may cotton on one day. ;)