1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new sim2 30 owner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Talisman, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Talisman

Talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After several years’ happy Sony hs10 ownership :thumbsup: but reading on this site how I was missing out on better blacks wonderful contrast ratios, the upgrade bug hit me. I purchased the sim2 30 (not the H) and duly fitted it to the ceiling, connected it up via component cables to my pioneer amp and powered on.

My first impression was that my blacked out room seemed to have a light on. Light poured from the fan / vent (now pointing upwards as attached to the ceiling) straight at the ceiling showing the room with radiance. :eek: The wonderful blacks and contrast ratio I was expecting were washed out greys. My wife thought the Sony looked better and my daughter asked why the projector acted like a searchlight.

Is there some setting on the sim2 30 to adjust for better contrast :lease: or reduce the beam of light from the vent hole or is this a feature that is not mentioned about sim2 projectors?

2. crion

crion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HS10 does not stand a chance against the Sim2 D30 even though you have slight light spilling underneath the projector.

Also, connect component cables from the DVD player directly, not through your amp.

Have you used the standard DVD test discs (Avia, Digital Video Essential, Calibrator) to dial in the proper contrast and light output? (for good enough grey calibration/shadow detail).

Some settings to get you started:
    Gamma: Film
    Color temperature: Low (You have a new lamp so this should be apprpriate for near 6500K output.. at 1500-2000 hours you go to medium..)

Are you using the Sim2 ceiling mount or something else? How close to the ceiling is the projector?

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Try putting the Sony back and then look at the difference.

Also, what DVD player are you using?

Thanks,

Pete. (I have a SIM2 30H)

4. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you are using the SIM2 ceiling bracket, make sure you are using the small deflector plate that helps to reduce light leakage it sits above the fan grill.

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

5. Talisman

Talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for the replys :clap: :

Crion:

Also, connect component cables from the DVD player directly, not through your amp.

Sorry crion I need to connect through the amp as I watch Telewest sport through the projector as well as movies and don’t want to swap cables continuously.

Have you used the standard DVD test discs (Avia, Digital Video Essential, Calibrator) to dial in the proper contrast and light output? (for good enough grey calibration/shadow detail).

No I haven’t done these I have just used the sim2 at default, out of the box settings.

Some settings to get you started:
    Gamma: Film
    Color temperature: Low (You have a new lamp so this should be apprpriate for near 6500K output.. at 1500-2000 hours you go to medium..)

I will give them a try tonight thanks.

Are you using the Sim2 ceiling mount or something else? How close to the ceiling is the projector?

I am using the LMP Sim2 ceiling mount, which is about ten inches from the ceiling.

Captain Benefit:

Try putting the Sony back and then look at the difference.

I will try that tonight.

Also, what DVD player are you using?

The receiver is a pioneer vsx-d2011 and DVD is pioneer dv-565a

Alan Roser:

If you are using the SIM2 ceiling bracket, make sure you are using the small deflector plate that helps to reduce light leakage it sits above the fan grill.

The first movie we watched was the extended version of Return of the King, which is very dark, but there was so much light in the room little detail could be seen and the black looked grey.
    There is a large light leakage, which reflects off the white walls and onto the screen, (as the room is also our living room (I don’t get any choice with the colour)).

I am using the LMP Sim2 ceiling mount, which doesn’t have a small deflector plate, could this be the culprit for my problems, as it doesn’t have a small deflector plate?

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Interesting. I had a Sony HS10 and the contrast ratio and the black level from my SIM2 are superior.

Pete.

7. Talisman

Talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for all the replys :thumbsup:

I spoke to Andy from LMP and received this encouraging email response:

I have spoken to Sim2 & the deflector is in fact both an exhaust deflector & a light shield. I expressed my concern about restricting airflow; I was told that as the projector is usually sited on a coffee table or similar the fan is usually quite restricted anyway, so it wasn’t a problem.
    I’m going to make you a deflector that you can bend to give you the best performance. As a very close fitting deflector could cause the fan to speed up I would suggest you start with a wider gap.
    I will do my best to get it to you for the weekend.

Regards
    Andy

So here’s hoping that this will stop the light wash reducing the contrast on screen.

I do have another question if I may. Does the 30 come with its own manual or does it come with only the 20 listed as this is the reply I received from my sim2 30 supplier after I sent the query that the supplied manual was for the sim2 20 and not the sim2 30:

After speaking with Sim2 they have told me that the manual for both models are the same, any new Domino 20's are shipped with a manual that has both models listed on the front. The older projectors were shipped with just the 20 on the front as that was the only model readily available at the time.

I apologise if this has caused any confusion.

Thanks again for you business.

Regards

Daniel Kersey
    Sevenoaks Sound and Vision Ltd.