New silent case help

zia

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my pc case.currently have lian li pc case which is fairly silent but i wish to upgrade to something that will be more silent and possible go full water cooling?
current set up is as follows
4770k at 4.4ghz
8 gb ram
780 ti evga classfied
phantek cpu cooler
6 hdds in various sizes
2 ssd
zalman fan controller.
mixture of noctua 120mm and 140mm silverstone fans

looking for good case for air cooling and water cooling that is silent or near as possible.
must hold 8 hdds minimum

some links to what i've been looking at
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower - Black/Green [PH-ES813P_SGR]

Lian Li PC-D600WB Big-Tower - Black [PC-D600WB]

Lian LI PC-D666WRX Big-Tower - Black/Red [PC-D666WRX]

no specific budget,just want a case that will last me a while.

thanks zia

Have you been over your PC and determined what it is that you find noisy?
I would personally go round a few bits first to identify the noise source rather than jumping into a complete new build (which may end up no quieter)

Been through all this when I built my rig, it is now about as quiet as you can get without going passively cooled and each of the above contributed to the overall volume level.
Removed HDDs, switched for SSD+2.5" SSHD for storage = less noise. The 2.5" tend to be quieter than any 3.5 ;)
Disconnect all your HDDs and turn on the PC - what's the noise like without them running? Still there? Thought about offloading some of your storage to network - out of the room is the quietest solution ;) But think about maybe consolidating to less disks, quieter "green" disks, or better isolation damping.
Experiment with fans. Try stopping each one in turn to see if its vibrating. Adjust the speed down a hundred RPM at a time, you can usually find a sweet spot at which the fan still both cools adequately and can dial out specific noise that you may find annoying. Rubber screws are a good investment too - isolating the fan from the chassis.
Try putting your hand on panels or plastic trims to see if they are vibrating. Deaden panels with sticky back neoprene foam.
Tidy up those cables, which contribute to turbulence and potentially a source of noise especially if they are close to a fan.

If it helps, I've got a Fractal R4 which is a lovely "quiet" case (and one I'd highly recommend). However, I can still hear my overclocked 7950 roar into life when it's doing something particularly demanding. Granted, it's not like an Xbox 360 but it's not whisper quiet :).

To be honest interms of silence am happy with my current case,its just that i've had it for a few years now and i'm bored of it.it has a few minor issues like poor cable management.no grommet etc and i keep having to swap hdd because there isn't enough hdd drive space due to me taking them out for better airflow.

Zia

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom