• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Shure foam sleeves - a bit disappointing

spl23

Prominent Member
After seeing a number of positive comments on here and elsewhere about them, I ordered a set of the new black foam sleeves to try with my Shure E500s. They arrived today, and I have to say I'm rather underwhelmed. I use the medium extra-flexible rubber tips normally, and they seal very nicely with my ears to produce a very nice level of bass.

With the medium size foam sleeves, I get no bass at all, so I don't think they are sealing properly. I've tried the recommended technique of rolling them before sticking them in my ears, but they seem to unroll remarkably quickly and still don't seal properly.

Any advice from people who have got a good sound from them would be appreciated! Do I need to go up to the large size? (Not too keen on that, at 15 quid a pack of sleeves...)

jhmaeng

Standard Member
I'm looking for a pair of medium ones, if you want to swap with my unused large ones to try out! (just the one I got in the standard fit kit so 1 pair) :)

Keiron

Prominent Member
And my experience is the complete opposite! I could never get on with the yellow foamies on my E3s, I couldn't get a seal and found they hurt my ear, and so like you I used they soft grey ones. But the black, shaped foamies on my 530s are perfect. They also stay in the ears better. I'm just guessing here, but it seems the silicon/rubber tips only create a seal at one point around their circumference in the ear, whereas the foamies expand to fit along their length. They are certainly totally secure in my ears even when out and about.

I think that since they are foam, they will breath a bit, forming less of an air tight seal and consequently possibly result in lower bass output. But I'm not a purist (any more), so just turn up the bass.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom