New Show Room/Demo Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Knightshade, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All, I will shortly have the opportunity to have a new showroom, I have the choice of 2 rooms, one is 4.5 x 9 metres with a vaulted ceiling (exposed large beams) the other is 11.5 x 5 metres with a 2.2 metre ceiling height, this one also has a 1/2 metre thick stone wall (which is exposed) down one long side of the room, both rooms are rectangular with no awkward bits.
    From an acoustic point of view which would be the better room to use?

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Hi Knightshade,

As you probably are aware the idea is to have the room modes distributed evenly across the frequency range you are interested in. Usually 20Hz to 20kHz. Lucky for us the Ancient Greeks did all the maths many moons ago and you need to follow the golden ratio. This is based on powers of Phi, you can read about it here (http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/phigits.html) the ratio we are interested in is 1:1.618:2.618.

One note of caution, at lower frequencies, say below 100Hz the room boundaries may NOT be the rooms walls or ceiling, if you have light partition walls between offices in your unit you may find that the real room boundary is different.

Also it is not likely that you can alter your room to meet the golden ratio, therefore its going to be a compromise. Software exists to assess these compromises, but really its not necessary and you can do it in excel.

Based on the rooms you have I would use the 11.5*5*2.2m room, although no where near the ideal ratio, the extra length could be used to house a large bass trap, this would remove modes from this dimension.

High ceilings are a big no-no, the Reverb Time will be fairly awful unless you treat it. The stone wall can be treated as you really want to make the space acoustically symetrical.

Feel free to ask more and I may be able to come and visit.

Dupe…

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the useful information, I had a horrible feeling you'd say something along those lines. Balancing aesthetics with audio will be tricky!

Cheers

4. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Best thing is to get some measurments done then you can balance up the 2 room options you have. Where you based?

Acoustic treatments can be hidden without too many issues, you seem have the space.

Dupe...