1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new shield series starting tonight?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by reevesy, Jul 23, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    hi all,
    just seen on skys tv guide that theres a shield sneaking about on five at 1105 tonight. mentions a new chief in charge,is this the start of the new series? have'nt finished season 3 on fx yet (unless weds episode was the last one) bit confused,which is'nt hard,any clarity anyone?
    cheers

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep it the start of the fourth season with Glenn Close taking over as the new boss.
    Hilarious opening sequence and altogether a solid season, preferred it to s3.

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    thought so,cheers for that.
    i take it then that weds episode on fx was the last of series 3 with vic and shane nearly going for it?

4. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thats right that is the end of season 3

5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    god I missed The Shield...what a great first episode to start off S4...this is one of the all time great TV shows!

6. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    damm right!

7. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay, I missed the Ch 5 opening episode of Season 4 (I was watching S3 on FX). Does anyone know if they repeat this in the week?

8. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    i doubt it,same thing happened with me when i missed the first episode of season 3 on channel five and could'nt find it repeated.
    i suppose for all the '55 channels and nuthin on' argument at least if you miss something on sat it's normally repeated.
    oh, sorry to rub it in but it was a good opener back to the form of the first two me thinks

9. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    bad news It unlikely that five will repeat you will have to wait until FX show season 4 next year, unless you can borrow it of somebody!!

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Why the hell do Five put this on in the graveyard timeslot?

This should be on at 10pm.

But again, they're hardly shouting from the rooftops about it.

This is one of the most poorly promoted shows on Five (or any other channel for that matter!).

A damn fine start to the new season. :thumbsup:

11. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Does anyone know when season three is coming out on region 2 dvd? I loved the first 3 seasons, and can't wait to watch the fourth. Has anyone seen "The Wire"? Just wondering how it compares to this.

12. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I think it is put in the graveyard slot due to the content, Five have been very poor when it comes to promoting the show

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I've heard "content" used as a reason for the timeslot but in all honesty The Shield is not over the top in violence, language or sex and I consider L&O SVU to be far more disturbing at times then any "normal" cop show.

I suppose we should be thankful that at least they don't cut it for an earlier timeslot if there is indeed a OFCOM ruling on certain content after the watershed but before 11pm.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just to answer some of the questions raised herein:

1) "The Shield" is always shown after 11pm, because of content. There are episodes in all four seasons, that would be problematic, if they were to be shown earlier, and would either require editing, or completely censoring. As such, Five have decided - and rightly so - that airing the show uncut after 11pm, is a better decision for the viewers! :clap: (Not all episodes of the show are as "safe" as the Season 4 first episode was. They do get tougher and more controversial!)

2) Five have promoted it, but usually only after 9pm, and in the week prior to the new series starting. The show only gets about 1.5m viewers each week - give or take - so the promotion tends to be around similarly-themed shows, e.g. "Law And Order", "CSI", etc, etc. However, they do promote it, but the show doesn't have the same audience-crossover appeal as other US crime shows. (It's mainly aimed at an 18-35 year old male audience. CSI and other similar shows, tend to aim more for older teenagers to people in their 50's or 60's, as they are less controversial, and are much easier to dip in and out of on an occasional basis. "The Shield" tends to need to be followed for every episode.)

3) Episodes aren't repeated on Five, I'm afraid. Your best bet is likely to be to politely ask one of the other AVForum members if they would be kind enough to loan you a copy.

4) Season 3 has been put-back for a UK DVD release by Columbia Home Video, until the middle of 2006, although no one has yet found out why, I'm sorry to say.

5) FX270 are now likely to show Season 4, starting in March or April 2006.

6) "Law And Order: Special Victims Unit" is shown at 10pm, although some of the content may be seen as being more disturbing than that in "The Shield". The reason being, that unlike "The Shield", "Law And Order: SVU" deals with adult themes, but does so, within a certain context. It's a much more moral show, that deals with issues that are very real to people, and that could apply to anyone, anywhere in the world. It's statement is that the issues the detectives in "SVU" deal with, are shown to be wrong, but that the detectives do anything within the legal realm, to stop these heinous offences. Unfortunately, Five edit the opening quote on every episode of "SVU". (Hallmakr don't!) Each episode starts with the following narration:

"In the criminal-justice system, sexually-based offences are considered especially heinous. In New York City, these vicious felonies are investigated by members of an elite squad - known only as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories."

Also, many of the stories in "SVU" are taken from real-life crimes in the USA. This adds another layer of "truth" to the fictional characters in the show.

With Vic Mackey and Co, it tends to be more "violence is a means to an end", rather than anything else. There's rarely any moral undertone to the stories. I think that's generally the consensus held by Hallmark and Five, who air the "SVU" show, and why that gets aired at 10pm, and not 11pm like "The Shield" does.

7) There aren't any guidelines per se, about what can and can't be shown after 11pm at night on Terrestrial, but all shows must conform to Ofcom guidelines in content. So, yes you can show adult material - be it of a violent or sexual nature - but it still has to be "suitable".

Personally speaking, I didn't feel that the Season 4 opening episode of "the Shield" was as good as it should or could have been. It wasn't bad, just not as gritty as I have come to expect in the show. I shall render my full verdict, however, once I've seen all the other episodes.

Pooch

15. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    About 1.5 million viewers that pretty good for a late show. The shield in the states only gets about ratings of about 2.5-.3.5 million viewers!!(It is on cable channel FX)

16. NoEntry2k

NoEntry2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It used to get 1-2 million in its first season (when it was on Sundays at 10pm).

I think it now gets around the million mark, which is still very good for Five and its timeslot.

17. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I recorded season 4 episode 1 off of five the other night. Have yet to watch it, but really looking forward to it.

18. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Well if its for the sake of not cutting the content of the show, then well done Five for not hacking it to bits, and showing it at a time when it can be shown uncut (unlike Channel 4, who'd probably carve it up completely, and put it out at 6pm!).

19. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    one thing has always puzzled me....fx where the channel to actually make or broadcast the shield (correct me if i'm wrong) yet five get to show them before fx here in the uk?
    oh and to answer someones question ealier about season 3 on dvd,you can get it on region one from cd wow 30 or so notes i believe but i'm sure someone posted that its only 4:3 :( and that a region 2 release is'nt even currently pencilled in......b'stds

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I expect the UK version of FX has it's own budget and is required to stand on it's own to feet and that means only buying content they can actually cover the cost of via subscription and ad revenues.

Five simply has more money to buy the first run rights and that is the bottom line for whoever handles the overseas distribution of the show.