1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sharp XV-Z200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by phillfyspoon, Jan 2, 2004.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    It is on pricejapan now for around 2 grand, it has english OSD and is 240v compatible with 3 rca component inputs and DVI-I , seems perfect for the price.

Specs:
    DMD Matterhorn chip
    native 16.9 widescreen resolution (1024x576 Pixels)
    2000:1 CR
    800 ANSI
    6 segments 5x colour wheel
    5000 hour bulb life
    lens shift function

now thats impressive for 2 grand anymore info on this pj yet?

all I can say is I want one just have to find a buyer for my ae300 :)

2. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it looks good.

The XV-Z200 and DT-300 provide consumers with a compact, lightweight product that will easily fit on a shelf, cabinet or small side table. Great for watching sports, movies, TV and even playing video games, these projectors provide high resolution DLP projection anywhere consumers want it, without taking up a lot of space. Both products are enhanced definition, outfitted with a 16:9 chip and a native true widescreen resolution of 1024 x 576. Upgraded features include an extremely high contrast ratio of 2000:1 as well 800 ANSI Lumen brightness, for brilliant clarity and a superior image. The increased life of the lamp measures 5,000 hours, and the low fan noise of 30 dBA (in economy mode) ensures that a film's dialogue and special effects are the only sounds that movie-watching guests will hear.

The projectors' lenses distinguish one model from the other. The SharpVision XV-Z200 is targeted toward a more experienced home theater consumer, since its long-throw 1.2x zoom lens delivers a longer throw distance, which lends itself better to a larger room or even ceiling mounting. The Sharp DT-300 is targeted toward a first-time projection user, since its short-throw 1.2x zoom lens is more suitable for use in a smaller room, perched on a small side or coffee table. Both projectors are outfitted with 2D keystone correction in the lens, which enables easy and flexible installation because content can be projected from the unit at an angle without picture distortion. Whether consumers choose to use the included swivel stand or optional ceiling mount bracket, these portable projectors truly create home theater for a wide array of consumers. End table stands and portable and fixed-mount screens are also available for even more flexibility.

www.sharpusa.com

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Mr Retro may well have some inside line on this machine, maybe he will pop by......

ad

4. lungan71

lungan71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this pj for 3 weeks now and may as well share my thoughts nad reasoning for going with this particular projector. My previous 3 pj's have all been LCD, Epson TW100 being the last one that I'm upgrading from.

I was basically looking for a serious upgrade in PQ and contrast and black level were the two issues I had with the Epson. It was beautiful in normally lit scenes but didn't manage dark scenes well enough for me. As I demoed Sanyo Z2, Epson TW200 and Sony HS20 I realised that LCD had not progressed far enough for me (rainbows, motion blur, dithering and price vs resolution kept me from going DLP earlier). I demoed Infocus SP5700 a few times and saw a few HD2s so I know the Matterhorn based pj's would work for me.

The short throw Sharp XV-Z200E was perfect for my room. Sharp was also more to my liking as I use it 80-90% for movies. It is less bright with (according to specifications anyway) higher contrast and so black level should be significantly better than the SP5700 on my small screen. That I could get it for 1/3 less than either the IF and the PD was also a deciding factor.
    The Sharp has a 300Hz colour refresh (6x) for PAL, the IF/PD "only" 5x = 250Hz. I see rainbows with 4x NTSC and has seen some on 5x with PAL so I wanted more than 240/250 Hz colour refresh. I have seen only very few rainbows with the Sharp, very happy with that. Other positives for the Sharp compared to IF/PD: longer bulb life and lens shift.

So after almost 100 hours what's the verdict? Still very happy. Colours are very realistic, contrast is better than any LCD I've demoed and shadow detail is as well. The pj is quieter than most DLPs I've demoed but I will still build a hush box for it. As a reference I would probably build a hush box for the Z2, so you know my sensitivity for pj noise.

Negatives: the most negative is stray light to the left of the screen. Quite noticable in dark scenes. I didn't notice this when I demoed it as that room had dark walls/ceiling but on my white ceiling it's noticable.
    The pixel structure is for me clearly visible from 1.5-1.6x away. I'll reduce the screen size somewhat to get a 1.7-1.8x viewing distance.

I have a Denon DVD-2200 from which all testing/viewing is done.

Sorry for a somewhat lengthy post. Ask questions if you need to know specifics.

/Fredrik

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Fredrik,

Can you confirm if the 200 is 16:9.

What price did you pay. This sounds like the ideal PJ for me after I fell in love with the Z91E after a week long demo.

Cap:)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the informative post Fredrik. Noise wise how does it compare with a Z2? I've heard a Z2 in low lamp mode and it was very quiet compared to my current CRT projector and not a problem for me. Is the 200 about the same or noticeably louder than the Z2?

8. lungan71

lungan71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is definitely 16:9, 1024x576 res as KraGorn said. It's not an XGA-panel with rows of unused pixels like the Toshiba MT500.

In eco mode it is slightly noisier than the Z2, but IMO not by a lot. The noise is slightly different though, higher in pitch as some of the noise is colour wheel whine, which may be more or less of a bother to you. In high power modes I would say the two are about equally noisy.

9. TheBoyGUK

TheBoyGUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats more like the price I was expecting to see this at, I'm sure I read somewhere it would be under £2K. Seems more in line with what we'd expect with the Benq hd2 at £3K.

11. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    it is £2000 on pricejapan.com

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That lcd4u price is euros not pounds so a tad under £2k

13. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    WOW....Now considering the price on the Z200, i might go for this.

Has anyone ordered products from lcd4u?

14. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Due to see one this week, and hopefully have a demo one in very soon also.

It retails at £3,500 inc VAT in the UK, and will be sited between the Z91e (£2,400) and Z10000e (£8,000 I think).

More when I've had my hands on one.

17. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Not normally a contributor here, but thought I'd stick my ore in having bought one of these a couple of weeks ago.

Compared it against ia zv9000 and a couple of LCD projectors (Sanyo Z2, Sony something or another), pretty much on par with the former (but rainbow effect was less of an issue), in a different leage to the LCD's.

Rainbow effect is visible on high contrast, small, bright area's, but only really if you move your eyes in the wrong direction at the wong time, generally not annoying (for me anyway).

I was initially driving the projector via component outputs, the quality was pretty impressive. However, I've just upgraded to a samsung DVD-HD935 and switched to using DVI connection. Wow is about all I can say, the improvement in clarity is stunning. The rainbow effect is also reduced, I guess as the 935's DCDi output at 60Hz when pumping 1280/720 HDCP out. Haven't played around to much yet wrt to out-puting 580/480p native resolutions so not sure if the scale up in the DCDi (to 720 lines) and subsequent scale down to native res (576 lines) in the projector is generating any artifacts, anyway not sure how much better it can get!

So for what its worth, if its within your budget, I can highly recommend it, particularily if hooking up to source via digital feed.

John.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Interesting comments John, I couldn't take an HT1000's rainbows so I live in hope a 5x may be better.

How noisy is the fan in comparison with the others you compared it to, that's one of the things that's putting me off looking seriously at a BenQ 8700.

19. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Noise level is at that of the previous Z90/91, ie very quiet.

I had a look at one on Tuesday, impressed compared to the older 4:3 Sharp models. I just need to wait for the 201 short throw version to appear sometime this year (I hope).

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Damn, a quiet PJ .. one more excuse I can't use. ;)

Any idea of the throw distance on the 200? I can't seem to find a chart for it at the moment.

21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Offical spec is 1.75-2.04:1 times screen width.

22. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Generally I'd say the LCD's and the 9000 where quiter in the shop.

They quote 32dB's for the fan noise, I find it quite loud, to the point of interferring with low level dialogue with lowish volume levels, but then again my hearing isn't great (too many hours watching movies with the volume cranked!), solution, turn up volume. I'm not convinced that they haven't ommit the noise generated by the colour wheel in the quoted noise figure, there's definitley a high piched whine that shifts with input source.

The biggest downside I've found with this setup is that I'm becoming hyper critical about the quality of the encoding on DVD 's, probable means I'll end up forking out for high bit rate variants when they're available from now on...

John.

23. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Retro,

I think the spec they quoted was the focal point not the throw distance.

I've got one and worked out the throw as 1.97 to 2.36:1

Better just double check though.

24. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I viewed the z200 against the h56. The z200 had less rainbows, but had alot more grain and the colours didn't look as good. The H56 was alot smoother. The h56 is also alot cheaper.

25. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There are still a couple of doubts over the actual throw for it so you could be correct.

26. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's the sort of throw distance I like, my Z2 is too short really and I've had to use the lens shift to adapt ... and the shift clearly degrades PQ to the extreme side of the shift's direction, ie. I shift left to right and the right-hand edge is slightly out of focuse compared to the middle/left .... a 2x width would be ideal for me.

27. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I didn't think the h56 was 16:9?

The nexnix price I got for the Z200 was only marginally higher than the H56 as well.

I've found that grainyness is a function of the source material, this probably just means that the projector is just reproducing whats being supplied more exactly, which is probably a good thing.

John.

28. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    On throw distance, I think there's two versions of the projector, I ended up with the long throw version, it manages just a bit more than 92 inch diagonal, when placed ~13ft from screen.

John.

29. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Currently there's only one throw option, long, it uses the same optics as the Z90 did.

A short throw version, using the Z91 optics, will be expected later this year some time.

30. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We have been issued today with a technical update on the throw ratio of the Sharp XV-Z200e projector;

1.95-2.36:1

The short throw version XV-Z201e (expected later this year) will be;

1.17-1.41:1

Regards

Richard Wilson
    Technical Support @ Marata Vision
    UK Sharp Distributors