New Sharp tu-tv322h - Channel scan fails

JDPower

Standard Member
My mum just picked up a Sharp tu-tv322h recorder and I'm having issues getting it to find all channels. I run a channel scan, gets near the end and says scan failed at the bottom and pops up a message saying something like it "couldn't find Top Up TV channels, this could be due to a weak Channel 5 signal" (she doesn't have top up TV, was bought purely for Freeview recoding). When I exit out there's nowhere near as many channels as there should be. Its not an aerial/signal issue as tuners are showing 80% signal strength and the receiver built into her TV comfortably picks up the full range of channels.

Am I missing something really obvious with this box or is it a duffer???

Gavtech

Administrator
Its not an aerial/signal issue as tuners are showing 80% signal strength and the receiver built into her TV comfortably picks up the full range of channels.

This is not necessarily true .... because you can only measure the signal strength of channels that you receive. (... or rather the strength of the one of the half dozen or so multiplexes of which that given channel is part).

You cannot measure the strength of those multiplexes you are not receiving which will be due to to signal strength issues - which can be caused by a great many factors.

One of the commonest causes of this sort of issue, [ receiving only some multiplexes] for example, is interference from an HDMI lead.

I don't know if this unit uses that form of connection but if it does, try disconnecting the HDMI and temporarily connecting by an analogue method (scart) then rescanning.

If the unit receives all channels under these circumstances , you need a replacement HDMI lead.
Also ensure that HDMI and UHF leads are kept as far apart as practically possible

If that is not the problem, check, by substitution, the flylead you are using with the unit. These can impose too much frequency related attenuation to produce the same symptoms.

Ensure all aerial connections are clean and tidy.

JDPower

Standard Member
Well managed to get most of the channels, by pure chance. Turns out just changing the epg to 8 day from 14 day sorted that so that initial problem is solved (I think now the 'Scan failed' message is just due to not having Top Up TV and not finding them channels).

But now, although all expected channels are listed, one or two are dead that shouldn't be. Most noticeably for my mum Pick TV. Just to clarify, the aerial cable is connected direct to the box (no joins or equipment connect anywhere between). The TV has freeview built in (the box was bought for PVR functionality). If I plug the aerial into the TV, Pick TV is present and correct, I connect aerial to the box, no pick TV (have tried multiple rescans). Wiring is all perfect nick - aerial cable is good quality and only a few months old, coax connectors are solid.

(add to that the fact that finding a working remote code to get the remote working for her ****** Bush TV is seemingly impossible and I'm already on the verge of telling her to just take it back)

Last edited:

Futaura

Established Member
Bear in mind that the Sharp TU-TV322H is a 4 year old model, so depending on the place of purchase, I'd be wondering if it really was a new box - could just be some old stock that needed shifting I suppose. It most likely had an old software version, so you may need to wait for it to update over-the-air.

Regarding the remote codes, it is possible the Bush TV was made by Vestel (as is the Sharp TU-TV322H, incidentally), so try the remote codes listed for Vestel and Finlux (Vestel UK's trading brand).

Personally, I'd steer well clear of anything TUTV, but that's another story :).

JDPower

Standard Member
Bear in mind that the Sharp TU-TV322H is a 4 year old model, so depending on the place of purchase, I'd be wondering if it really was a new box - could just be some old stock that needed shifting I suppose. It most likely had an old software version, so you may need to wait for it to update over-the-air.

Regarding the remote codes, it is possible the Bush TV was made by Vestel (as is the Sharp TU-TV322H, incidentally), so try the remote codes listed for Vestel and Finlux (Vestel UK's trading brand).

Personally, I'd steer well clear of anything TUTV, but that's another story :).
Oh I'm pretty sure it was old stock, was only £50 ;)

It seems the epg thing was a complete red herring as those originally missing channels have vanished again.

And yeah, I had tried Vestel remote codes, they didn't work (neither do Finlux ones having now tried out of curiosity).

But I've given up, it's going back tomorrow. Thanks for the replies though :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom