New Sharp models coming!

I

imh

Sounds a similar spec to Loewe Xelos A series, 2 scarts, component, s-video, HDMI and VGA inputs, so probably the same screen underneath. Loewe's 26" model is available now though for about £1350 ish

mike7

Distinguished Member
Also of interest is the new 50 Series which is aimed at current SECAM and PAL 625line transmissions. Pixel count of 960 x 540. Sharp hedging their bets and anticipating that HDTV is not going to take off as fast as some expect.

R

Rob1698

Some googling learned that it will be produced by Loewe in Germany.
It has DVB-S and DVB-T tuners. However, this is usually a limited and expensive solution as you have to add a CAM (access module) for encrypted signals.
This usually costs more than a DVB-T tuner with embedded CAM, and for satellite this results in a quite limited setup compared to a Dreambox, for example.
And of course for Sky UK you can't get a CAM at all.

I

imh

jimg said:
Loewe actually use Sharp screens!

I know... Was really pointing out that the 26" model is available right now. Saw it in Linn last week, looked fantastic. Very sharp compared to the 42" plasma it was next to.

L

LcdGuru

That 65" is a monster :eek: Not sure I could get it thru my front door - but I want one all the same!!!

C

Corelli

Sharp actually took over 29% of Loewe not long ago. Financially Loewe is (or was?) in bad shape. Without Sharp it wouln't probably exist anymore. Their first baby will be the Aquos GD7E (with three models).

D

Dr Pete

Any idea what this means for thr 45"? HDMI too? Hopefully a price drop as it's not the biggest anymore.

jimg

Look at the size of this 65" monster!!

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
I don't suppose there's any chance they'll do a more affordable 1920x1080 display, is there? When you look at the price difference that used to exist between an LC37GA3E (or GA4E) and an LC37GD1E, it seems likely that, if they had done an LC45GA4E, it would have been at least £1000 cheaper than the LC45GD1E is, maybe even £1500 cheaper. That, at internet prices, would have been a really attractive buy. As it is I won't be buying an LC45GD1E because I resent having to pay that much more for features that are no practical use. :mad:

ianh64

Novice Member
The problem with the 45GD1E is that the GD range cannot be distance sold by dealers signed up with Sharp, unlike the GA series that Sharp does allow to be distance sold. So they do not benefit from internet pricing. However, I suspect that even if the display could be distance sold, it would not be discounted as must as other displays since I believe that the markup on this product is not as much as others in the same range. The implication of this is that the screen is indeed much more costly to produce at present and that Sharp are keeping margins low to keep it relatively competitevly priced. If a GA version was produced, I would suspect that the difference would not be as much as the difference as say between 32" GA3/GD versions.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
But there are plenty of internet vendors offering sizeable discounts on the LC45GD1E. If you buy one at high street prices it costs £6500. Online there are now several places charging £4800-£4850. Compare that with the LC37GA4E when it was still available. (New price ~£3500, online price ~£2300). Okay, it's not quite such a big reduction on the 45" screen, but it's comparable.

And look at the difference in the retail prices for the LC37GA4E and the LC37GD1E: the GA4 is almost £1000 cheaper. If there were an LC45GD1E that cost £1000 less than the LC45GD1E, and you could only get the same discount on it as you can get on the LC45GD1E, it would still cost barely £4000. If you could get the sort of discount you used to get on the GA4 series that'd obviously be even better. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom