New Sharp LC32P50E - Green DVD's - Help!

pmg1173

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got my Sharp 32" Aquos delivered today and everything seems fine on Sky etc. Tried watching a DVD and everything is green - have tried changing all the settings etc. and nothing makes any difference - can someone tell me where I'm going wrong or is this possible fault ?

Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first LCD ,

cheers

a complete noobie !

How's it hooked up? Perhaps you are using an RGB SCART connection and there's a problem with one of the pins?

Or, if you're on Component (Red, Green, Blue wires), make sure they're all in the right sockets - easy mistake!

Or if you're on DVI or HDMI, go into your DVD players' options and see if changing the colour modes (Y/Cb/Cr and RGB should be options?) makes a difference.

I think you'll need to tell us how your player is connected to the set and as many other details as you can about how you've set everything up before anyone can say much.

This sounds like you've have the DVD player set to output RGB but you haven't yet set the input type to RGB on the LCD. You have to make sure that the TV knows what signal the DVD is set to output.

How green is the green? Do you mean a slight tint to the picture, or the whole picture is green?

Some players have a 'green push' that accentuates the green in the image, my old Denon 1910 being one of them. What player have you got?

This is going to sound a bit crazy, but I had the exact same issue hooking up my DVD to my LC-32P50E using component. I tried everything, and then thought "What if the inputs are mislabelled on either the DVD player or the TV?" So, I swapped Blue and Red and nearly fell over when it corrected the problem.

I don't have another device with component outputs to test which device has the problem, DVD or TV...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've got the same green tint with my DVD player too! A Panasonic hdd and DVD recorder, connected via component, with progressive selected on both. depending on the sttings i have either blackk and white or a green tint!
on rgb scart on ext1 it's fine, but ext3 with component is as above.

Any advice please?

Don't Panic!

It was my shoddy setting up! A loose connection on my component cable.

DVD's look great!

Out of interest andycat, does progressive scan via component on your setup work ok?

Out of interest andycat, does progressive scan via component on your setup work ok?

Yes, it seems to work fine now I've plugged in the cables properly!

Both the Panasonic and the Sharp are set to Progressive anyway. Looks a lot better than the RGB Scart I had connected in the mean time anyway!

andycat said:
DVD's look great!

No doubt you all saw What HiFi's review. The Sharp got 5 stars but was considered 'weak' on dvd performance. I am 99% sure about this lcd (will be used 80% for SD and 20% dvds) but I want fantastic quality on dvds.

Seeing as this is at its native resolution, I can't understand why dvd quality would be suspect. Any owners care to comment?

Plus. trying to kid myself that the 37" would not be too big for my living room, (roughly 14ft*12ft) sat about 8-10 feet away and will leave only a centimetre or so at the side of the speakers!

Dave

DaveAnderson said:
Plus. trying to kid myself that the 37" would not be too big for my living room, (roughly 14ft*12ft) sat about 8-10 feet away and will leave only a centimetre or so at the side of the speakers!

Dave

I sit that far away from a 50" plasma without any problems...go on, you know you want to :devil:

DaveAnderson said:
No doubt you all saw What HiFi's review. The Sharp got 5 stars but was considered 'weak' on dvd performance. I am 99% sure about this lcd (will be used 80% for SD and 20% dvds) but I want fantastic quality on dvds.

Seeing as this is at its native resolution, I can't understand why dvd quality would be suspect. Any owners care to comment?
Dave

Hi

I've just been watching "The Day After Tomorrow" on a 2 year old Relisys DVD recorder using component and progressive scan and I'd say the picture quality is excellent! don't know why they said it was "weak" :confused:

DaveAnderson said:

Yeah, don't believe everything you read in the mags. If you can, try getting a demo for yourself but as far as I'm concerned my 37P50E gives excellant results with DVD and that's just with RGB Scart at the moment, can't wait to get it hooked up via component.

BTW, my living room's roughly similar in size and the 37" doesn't look out of place at all.

I've got the 32P50E and DVD's look absolutely Stunning via component, not sure what they mean by weak on DVD playback but that's just a load of rubbish, view a demo of one an make ya choice...

Borgy said:
I've got the 32P50E and DVD's look absolutely Stunning via component, not sure what they mean by weak on DVD playback but that's just a load of rubbish, view a demo of one an make ya choice...

I plan to...just need to find a place I can get a good demo...I maxed out the local retailer, after I demo'ed a few sets there but he couldn't even get within £200 of the next cheapest Panny 52! Now I don't mind a premium for dace to face service, but that's taking the p.

What Hifi do say component output is better than the noisy picture by HDMI, but overall and I quote 'DVD performance isn't the best'! They also say 'the Sharp will never display hi-def' idiots! but on a positive note, they finish with 'this is the best LCD tv we've seen....for off air broadcast'

Dave

neilmcl said:
Yeah, don't believe everything you read in the mags. If you can, try getting a demo for yourself but as far as I'm concerned my 37P50E gives excellant results with DVD and that's just with RGB Scart at the moment, can't wait to get it hooked up via component.

I don't think component is any better than RGB, is it? If anything, RGB should actually be better because component YPbPr has to be converted to RGB anyway before being shoved out to the LCD panel.

SirSleepalot said:
I don't think component is any better than RGB, is it? If anything, RGB should actually be better because component YPbPr has to be converted to RGB anyway before being shoved out to the LCD panel.
All DVDs are encoded in component RGB and the conversion takes place when using scart not when outputting via component. Also component signals are less susceptible to colour erros than RGB. Also the physical makeup and connectivity of a component cable is much better that a 21-pin scart.

I know it can also depend on a lot of other factors, such as type of DVD player/Screen etc but generally Component has the edge over Scart, why else are most LCD/Plasma owners using component these days.

I neglected to mention the obvious advantage of component over scart which is the outputiing of a progressive signal from the DVD.

Quick question: as component is only 'picture only' do I need a separate amp i.e a hi-fi, to hear sound?, or can I connect the dvd to tv with a sound cable?

Hope that made sense... :) Thanks.

pibworth said:
Quick question: as component is only 'picture only' do I need a separate amp i.e a hi-fi, to hear sound?, or can I connect the dvd to tv with a sound cable?

Hope that made sense... :) Thanks.
Yes you also need an audio cable between the DVD and TV.

pibworth said:
thought so... sounds kinda messy in terms of amount of cabling though.
2 cables (component and audio) v 1 scart, not that much given the potential rewards.

Just checked out dvd playback on the Sharp...initial impression is that it was superb, but a fraction softer than the Panny...that was without any tinkering. I shall be ordering this weekend.

One thing tho', after looking at the 32", I think the 37" will be enormous! I was thinking that if I bought off the net, at least I could take advantage of the distance selling regs and send it back for the 32". Just bothered about how much it would cost to return.

Anybody got any experience of this?

Dave

DaveAnderson said:
What Hifi do say component output is better than the noisy picture by HDMI, but overall and I quote 'DVD performance isn't the best'! They also say 'the Sharp will never display hi-def' idiots! but on a positive note, they finish with 'this is the best LCD tv we've seen....for off air broadcast'
Dave

This is what Home Cinema Choice said:
"The stunning performance with all standard resolution sources suggests that the scaling-free, 540-line approach has some merit. We've never seen cleaner, more natural standard-def pictures for under £1200, and though HD pictures don't have the same sharpness as on higher resolution screens, they still look exceptionally good."
- nuff said! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom