1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Sharp Aquos 26" WXGA for £1400

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by calvinhobbes, Aug 17, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know anything / heard anything about the new Sharp 26GA4E? Not sure what the response time is but contrast is 800:1, brightness 500:1, has component and DVI. Could this be nirvana? only minor niggle is that it doesn't have IDTV but who cares - it only cost £40 to get a freeview box.

Am very excited and may place an order soon but would love to get any feedback

2. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have owned a Sharp Aqous 32inch "g" series lcd for the past couple of weeks and im very impressed by it.

The response time on my display is 16ms and shows no sign at all of lag when watching sporting action like football.

To get the best out of the set you have to have a mess around with contrast etc but it really does look great when playing a dvd with progressive scan.

Drphibes

3. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drphibes

I just got the 32GD1E last night, and have to say i'm not that impressed with the TV quality (DVD player has not arrived yet so haven't tested that) practically all the channels suffer from pixilization. Any advise, do i need a signal booster or something.

James

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Is the pixilisation caused by digital noise/breakup of the quality of the freeview decoder/set?

Basically with freeview, you can have 100% signal strength and still have interference cause digital noise/picture breakup. As long as you get a clean signal and the freeview decoder is able to handle the signal strength (ie you are not in a marginal reception area), there will be no difference in quality between a signal at 100% and one at 30%. Where stonger signal strength does help is that it make it more immune to interference, ie kids mopeds running up and down the street.

I must admit when I recently viewed a smaller G series, 26" I believe, I was not overly impressed with the picture quality. Not sure whether it was freeview or not as it was in a shop window. Ofcourse, picture adjustment can make such alot of difference and would think that, unless you have marginal freeview reception, getting this right is more important than a booster or a newer ariel.

-Ian

5. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unsure what is creating the 'Noise' It does vary from channel to channel. I was watching the olympics rowing this mornig on bbc1 and around every boat there was noise (distortion, or whatever you call it) But going to ITV news and the screen was nice and clear. I have checked my postcode on freeview.co.uk and this is what it said.

Because FREEVIEW signals in this area use a different transmitter or frequency than your existing analogue television. Unless you already have one, you need a different type of rooftop aerial for digital reception. We recommend a "wideband" aerial.

Don't know what my aerial is, it is only 2 years old but was just a ordinary aerial. Do you think a booster will help. I've read reviews on these sharp screens and although they say the analogue signal can be noisey the digital picture was amazing. So slighlty disapointed that mine arent amazing, just good would do me.

6. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry to hear you are having a few problems with your Sharp lcd James.

My display will be the same as yours minus the inbuilt freeview decoder and I must admit that I was a little dissapointed with my initial impression's of the set when watching either the inbuilt analogue feed or pictures from a external freeview box.

As with a lot of sets it is a must to try and calibrate the picture with something like avia or digital video essentials and after doing this I started to see improvements allround.

I know in the menus of my set there was a option to boost the tv signal so it might be worth looking for this ,but it might well be a analogue option and not available for the inbuilt freeview.

I think that the Sharp needs a good source to shwo exactly what it can do and im sure you will see what I mean when you get chance to hook up your dvd player via rgb or component.
    The down side is that it does also highlight how bad a source is and its a fact that it will look a little blocky due to compressed freeview pics.

My advice would be to buy a calibration disc and see if this helps matters with your particular problem and also view the set from a reasonable distance as they do look very blocky if you are too close to them.

Drphibes

7. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered digital video essentials, and will see what tweaks i need to do. Can altering things like contrast, colour and brightness really reduce the effects of noise? Cant wait for my DVD player to arrive to really see what the TV can do. :cool:

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    isn't 'noise' a feature/weakness of lcds? I'm sure one of the mags said something to that effect. I know my Toshiba suffers from it. Especially from weak ntl digital channels.

9. james.tig

james.tig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know noise is a big weakness of LCD's but i've read a lot of reviews on the sharp and the digital TV picture being good. Also i have some channels that are producing great picture quality. I'm not a big TV watcher anyway, I will be using it mostly for DVD's where i belive it rocks. But would still like to injoy the odd TV show without peoples faces being covered in squares.