• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New setup

Taffy1979

Standard Member
O.K people I need some recommendations here I'm going to buy the works just before the new football season starts so I need your recommendations for the following things ?

1. TV - LCD or Plasma
  2. AV Receiver
  3. Speakers for either 5.1 or 7.1
  4. Blu-ray DVD player or should I buy a PS3
I have a 37" LCD I'm looking to get a bigger 1
I also have a Xbox Elite which I play my DVD's off
and a cheap surround sound system

I'm looking to get them in black and have about £1000 for TV & £1000 for the rest. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Taffy

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I had a wander around Currys today to check out the Panny plasmas. I have yet to see a LCD that can cut it, so have discounted those for myself but if you're going to use it for gaming, I suppose you shouldn't rule them out.

Panasonic TH-42PX80 would be my choice - £650 at Dixons with £20 off voucher
PS3 (£299) - I wouldn't touch any other bluray player at the moment
AV Receiver - You will be wanting an AV receiver that can accept LPCM over HDMI so you can benefit from HD audio from the PS3. Examples are the Sony 910 (soon to be replaced by the newer 820 and 920 models), Denon 1908 (black model is more expensive than silver). The Onkyo 605 was a long term favourite on here and you might find a black one cheap as it's just been replaced by the 606. The 605 costs around £330 +/- and the 606 is new out so costs around £400. The Sony is probably the cheapest and has the most HDMI inputs. The Denon/Onkyo would arguably sound better though.
Speakers - If you're on a budget, check the likes of the Cantons (see powerbuy in the speaker powerbuy), Tannoy SFX or Kef range but if you have room for larger speakers I would look at the SVS package, Q-Acoustics or AE Aego T

If you buy the lot in one place, try and negotiate a good discount! Creative-audio are bundling their speakers etc. with some cables which would be a good start.

Taffy1979

Standard Member
I've done a little browsing and using the info on here I've bought there's items :smashin:

1. TV - LG42LG5000 Black
  2. AV Amp/Rec - ONKYO TX-SR576 Black
  3. CD Player - ONKYO DXC390 Black
  4. Speakers - PIONEER S-SP50-K & S-H240VA-W Black
Still can't decide on the dvd player PS3 cost around £200 to £300 and so do Blu-ray Players I own an Xbox and have no intentions of playing the PS3 so is it worth it I ask ???

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Enjoy your new kit. I personally wouldn't have bought a CD player. If you have a PC and a wireless network, I would have went for a streaming solution using lossless (FLAC) such as the Squeezebox 3. It has transformed my music listening. I can now browse my entire CD collection (well most of it anyway) in lossless format which is arguably just as good as CD. I still have my CD player but rarely use it other than for the first spin of a newly purchased album. The SB3 has cut down a lot of clutter in my living room too. Most of the CD's are now in the loft.

Taffy1979

Standard Member
just canceled the CD Player looking into the squeezebox3 looking to buy one in the week

does anybody have any recommendations on a blu-ray player or should I just get a DVD player with upscaling.

Edit: just had a look but does anybody know if the squeezebox 3 runs on vista it not showing on the specs it only goes to XP ???

davepuma

Distinguished Member
just canceled the CD Player looking into the squeezebox3 looking to buy one in the week

does anybody have any recommendations on a blu-ray player or should I just get a DVD player with upscaling.

Edit: just had a look but does anybody know if the squeezebox 3 runs on vista it not showing on the specs it only goes to XP ???

Blimey, you change your mind quick! The SB is a cracking bit of kit and yes it does work with vista. There is a whole other forum (see music streamers or the slimdevices forum) but if you check here it says the software (squeezecentre 7.0) does indeed work with vista. I got my SB3 from ripcaster.

I can't stress this highly enough, I would only bother with the PS3 as a bluray player, the rest aren't up to profile 2.0 so you would only want to upgrade later, although some might argue you're not missing out on much! The PS3 is a cracking machine. You could sell it down the line for a lot more than you will ever see from any bluray player that you tried to sell. After all, who wants yesterday's technology unless it's dirt cheap?!! Check the Bluray players forum as they will be able to recommend a stand-alone. The Samsung 1400 is cheap enough to not worry (too much) about any losses should you upgrade I suppose. There are issues with the upscaling on the BD30 which is about the best of the moderately priced machines but don't even bother with the Pioneer (£700 for something that isn't even finished is a joke).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom