New setup - speaker buzz!

Steve81

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here - hoping to get some help with a REALLY annoying problem.

Recently got myself kitted out with the following:

Samsung LE46A6
Sony STR-820 Amp
Q Accoustics 1050i floor speakers
Q Accoustics 1000 centre speaker
I also have 2 panasonic surrond speakers & 2 Aiwa rear surround speakers.

I have a really annoying problem in the form of speaker buzz. Its constant no matter what source I have selected on the Amp (however goes away while the Amp is looking for the source)

I've tried to ensure power cables for Amp, LCD, PS3 are all seperate from the speaker cables. but there is no change to the buzz even if i move them away myself.

The Speaker cable and Co-ax cable run side by side along the skirting board but even if I unplug the Co-Ax from the wall, the buzz is still there.

The buzz appears to have got worse since the addition of the Centre speaker (was missing from setup until last night) - though it was there (though not as prominent) before the centre speaker too.

The only thing I can think of upgrading is the speaker cable (currently using: Labgear White Speaker Cable - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys) but dont want to spend a fortune on that (lots required due to room setup) if its not going to help the buzz.

Any ideas? Anything I can try to pinpoint the problem?

thanks in advance for help offered

S

Until recently I was using THE cheapest Maplins speaker cable and all my mains cables, coax etc etc were all spaghetti behind the AV unit and I never got any buzz, so I doubt new speaker cables will help.

The only suggestion I can think of is unplug every input and see if the buzz persists. If not plug one at a time back in until it returns.

If with all the inputs unplugged that doesn't stop the buzz??

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will try unplugging the outputs today and see if that can narrow it down any.

As for the speaker cable - its not wrapped in any way, but my be twisted slightly in places.

If it was speaker cable, surely it would only effect the speaker that the twisted cable was going to?

Will post back shortly on the buzz situation with the inputs

Many thanks

S

ok, further update:

With no input cables plugged into the amp - there is a buzz.

That buzz continues with input cables back in, Amp input set to TV, but the input device (TV) not switched on.

If I turn on the TV (built in digi, running to amp via optical cable) - the buzzing also continues.

The buzz also continues if I switch the amp input to BD (connected to PS3), but leave the PS3 off.

HOWEVER, if I turn the PS3 on, the buzzing stops.

Any ideas?

ok, further update:

With no input cables plugged into the amp - there is a buzz.

HOWEVER, if I turn the PS3 on, the buzzing stops.

Any ideas?

If you have nothing plugged into the amp and its buzzing then the amp is picking up something, or it’s the amp itself.

Disconnect all of the other sources from the mains – does that fix it? Can you somehow connect the amp into other power sockets to see if the buzz persists.. It’s possible you’ve got dirty mains, or some sort of grounding problem.

First off, is this a buzz as stated, or a 50Hz hum, which would indicate a ground loop, and which matches the other symptoms rather better?

Unplug the coax between the TV, cable, sky and satellite boxes from their wall socket. Also unplug any radio feed from the receiver. Does this stop the hum?

If not, leave these unplugged and also disconnect the sub from the amp. Does this help?

i returned my 820 for 2 reasons, the hdmi kept hanging/dropping out and i was getting a buzzing sound even with nothing plugged in to it.

andy

First off, is this a buzz as stated, or a 50Hz hum, which would indicate a ground loop, and which matches the other symptoms rather better?

Unplug the coax between the TV, cable, sky and satellite boxes from their wall socket. Also unplug any radio feed from the receiver. Does this stop the hum?

If not, leave these unplugged and also disconnect the sub from the amp. Does this help?

I have to confess, I dont know what a 50Hz hum is.... I've seen the terminology for a ground loop, but didnt really understand it (I'm new to home cinema)

Will try both the co-ax unplugging, and the power thing now, and report back in a few mins!

Loving the helpfulness on the forum!

S

ok, next update:

Uplugged the co-ax at both ends (wall socket and TV) - no difference - "noise" (cause i dont know if its a buzz or a hum, lol) still there.

Unplugged TV and PS3 so only Amp plugged in, noise still there.

Plugged Amp in using extension lead from socket in another room (i think its on a different ring loop) and got same problem.....

I really really dont wanna have to send the amp back....

how long have you had it? if its within 28 days then yo will be able to exchange it for a new one or get a refund, if its been longer you will have to go down the service/repair road... :(

andy

just over a month.

My mate has the same setup at home, without any problems. So I'm going to take it over to his and swap out the amps, see if i get the same problem.

What can be done about ground loop? Im reading up on it, but nowhere seems to be able to offer a fix?

I had a noise on my sub a while back and I eventually tracked it down to the telephone charger my wife had put on top of it. Do you have any transformer powered equipment etc. near the amp that could be giving off interference that the amp is picking up. It took me ages to find the problem and I even took it into my local shop to see if they could help (no noise when plugged in there which lead me down the, it must be something in the room approach). Taking it to your mates and plugging your amp in there will have the same effect and definately worth doing. After that it is trial and error (if there is noting wrong with your amp). Since you are taking the amp out anyway you could try taking it to another room with the centre speaker and plugging it in there to see if you still get the noise.

more updates:

I've unplugged everything from the amp apart from the centre speaker. Carried that lot upstairs to a totally different room - and still getting the buzz.

Does this mean the amp is faulty?

so it looks like the amp is faulty :mad:

Its going back to amazon for a full refund - meaning i need a decent amp with 7.1 sound and HDMI video relay (ideally 24fps) for less than £260.

My faith in sony has been tainted by this, so im not sure if i should get the820 again.

Anyone any recomendations?

A hum is something you can hum to - it has a single fixed frequency. A buzz is a semi-random mixture of frequencies that you can't easily imitate vocally, like the alarm on many clock-radios or old-fashioned door bells.

It it were a ground loop, I'd have walked you through determination and resolution. Since it occurs with no connections, it isn't.

when i sent my dg820 back i put the extra money to it and got the 2400es, and it was well worth then extra dough ;) if i hadnt have had the extra money at the time i would have been happy to have another 820 as it was a really good piece of kit and and absolute bargain. i was just one of the unlucky ones that got a duffer, and the same goes for you i supose. i wouldnt lose your faith in sony to much, there are alot of dg820 users on this forum and they all seem very happy with them and i doubt you will find a better buy. and i dont think there is another receiver out there with the same features for the same money

andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom