New setup sanity check, mostly RE fixed screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gbjk, Aug 29, 2013.

1. gbjk

gbjk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a room I intend to use for a home cinema. I'd like to give some details about my plan, so anyone can point to holes in it before I spend money, if at all possible. I'm a newbie to creating a projector room. I don't have a massive budget for this, but it doesn't seem like that'll be a problem. Most of my question is about the projector screen itself, which is the area where I'm most uncertain.

It's 6.7m long, and about 4.5m wide.

There's a 2.7m window to the far right, with blackout vertical blinds. It doesn't completely blackout daylight, right now, but if I need to, I can get more aggressive about that later. I tried measuring light levels using an android app, but the levels where I intend to project were below detectable levels. That might be a good thing.

I'm intending to buy a Epson EH-TW3200.

I intend to project across the 4.5m width of the room, with the projector mounted, initially, at about 1m off the ground, 1.5m off the horizontal centre of the screen, and 3m from the screen itself. It looks like the lens shift and keystoning should cope with that okay, though I'm expecting it'd be better the more central it is, and might be able to achieve that in the future once the basic system is working.

I have 1.2m of vertical space above a fireplace mantle, below the ceiling cornice. I'm slightly concerned that the picture will be higher than ideal, but there's 3.5m from the screen to the main viewing seats.

I've debated with (assuming tab tensioned where relevant):
    - A recessed electric screen (difficult to install without creating a fake box, and my DIY sucks)
    - A mounted electric screen
    - A pull up screen
    - A fixed frame screen

Right now, I'm strongly leaning towards using a fixed screen because it seems like it's cheaper, likely to actually look aesthetically better than having a mounting for an electric pull down, unless I build some sort of box around it, and that's going to be a real pita, especially since I can't easily blend it into the the edges of the room, which are about 2m away in either direction.

So because it's a fixed frame screen, that leaves me with 120cm vertical, and so I'm expecting to have about 105cm vertical viewable, making a screen size of roughly 84" diagonal.

Does this seem sensible thusfar?

That's where I start to just hit a barrage of questions.
    I haven't been overwhelmed by the online options I've seen for buying fixed screens, but I might be missing something obvious.

If everything up to here is correct, then I'd like some suggestions about fixed frames:
    - Grey vs white (Thinking grey right now, because of possible ambient light...)
    - Gain factor ( 1.3 seems right )
    - Manufacturers to avoid or to use
    - Retailers to use, preferably online
    - Any recommendations at all

There's a complete void of home cinema shops near me, which limits my ability to "just go in and see first hand", which sucks a bit.
    I've travelled a few times to see different options to inform some of my choices.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Gareth

2. gbjk

gbjk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reading through the forum, I found that Allan was probably the guy to speak to.
    We chatted through my predicament and came up with options.

The obvious answer for the screen is the react 2.1. So that's out of the way now.

The best scenario would be if the fireplace wasn't there... but it was installed less than a year ago, and I might get killed in my sleep if I try to get it removed.

So either I live with an 86" screen being above eye level, or I start down the following rabbit hole:
    - Get a drop down tab tensioned screen to go in front of the fireplace
    - Which might as well be bigger than 86", now that we're not constrained, so 104"
    - And should really be recessed into a fake ceiling box
    - Which needs decorating

The price basically doubles if I "do it right".

I'm fairly sure that I'll avoid mounting the projector off horizontal centre, and instead mount it on the wall.

Speakers are a bit of a mess too, because placing the centre speaker is difficult in either case.
    Either it goes on the floor in front of the fire in the case of a drop down, or it has to be slim and thin, and go on the mantle underneath the 86".
    I kept getting drawn back to the dark and shoddy solution of a mid-level yamaha sound bar like the ysp-2200,
    but I know I'd regret it, especially since the room isn't a square or even a rectangle. Reviews of it are surprisingly good, though.

Layout:
    [​IMG]
    Panorama pictures taken from door and window:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]